for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
List of top spam domains
#39939 04/15/16 02:02 PM
OP Offline

I was given this list and have made a few additions. Almost no spam since blocking these except for the occasional set of about three in a row, which is apparently how they defeat the blocking. They bombard the server and a few don't get caught.

.rocks
.xyz
.bar
.mk
.xxx
.web
.ru
.si
.vu
.info
.ml
.space
tmall.com
.br
.asia
.us
.in
.hk
.il
.pt
.vn
.fi
.no
.fr
.ar
.ph
.jp
.au
.pl
.kr
.biz
.club
.co
.hu
.fo
.be
.tk
.nu
.me
.ai
.xn
.de
.eu
.ni
.cc
.es
.pw
.ru
.ch
.cn
.tr
.it
.uk
.mobi
.work
aol.com
hotmail.com
.me
.ee
.lv
.cz
.faith
.za
.review
.help
.uno
.ae
.nl
.cl
eku.edu
corban.edu
apmex.com
keen.com
tradingnrg.com
sbcglobal.net
entirelypets.com
sex.com
cat5.com
facebookmail.com
.bid
gallaudet.edu
nvidia.com

Re: List of top spam domains
slolerner #39940 04/15/16 02:43 PM

Unfortunately, a large percentage of those domains (eg, .ru, .cz, .fr, .jp) are country designations. Blocking those could conceivably prevent one from receiving legitimate info and email from those countries.

slolerner #39943 04/15/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
I was given this list and have made a few additions. Almost no spam since blocking these except for the occasional set of about three in a row, which is apparently how they defeat the blocking. They bombard the server and a few don't get caught.

.info
.us
.fr
.jp
.au
.biz
.co
.de
.uk

I know I have accessed at least these in the last year.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #39944 04/15/16 03:23 PM
OP Offline

The answer I found for this problem is to set the server to not automatically delete spam but save it in a folder and send daily spam reports to me.

The MAJOR offender on the spam list is all the .pw emails.
http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/rise-pw-urls-spam-messages

.aol is on the list so what I do is block .aol and then add the legitimate mail I get from there to my address book at the server.

All those spoofs that Artie505 and I were discussing are coming from .pw now.

Last edited by slolerner; 04/15/16 04:51 PM. Reason: Mistake, .aol was on the list above
slolerner #39946 04/15/16 04:15 PM

Quote:
All those spoofs that Artie505 and I were discussing are coming from .pw now.

I'll start keeping track, but I don't think I'm receiving spam from any of the guys on your list. (.apmex maaybe)

yahoo.com is still my biggest offender, and a few new ones have turned up in recent days, including google.com.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39949 04/15/16 04:27 PM
OP Offline

I guess you can do the same domain blocking for Google with checking the spam folder and allowing people in your address book to get through. If it gets bad enough.

I've been told that the .edu spoof is a SPF exploit. It's happening through EarthLink and optonline has now blocked most EarthLink domains by default, but that is overkill. It is not originating with Eartlink, it is getting through their servers. My friend got her account unblocked for me but it only got blocked again. The really unbelievable thing now is that I am using my .yahoo email, which is an old .rocketmail account, and that isn't blocked!

Last edited by slolerner; 04/15/16 07:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
slolerner #39952 04/15/16 04:48 PM

Quote:
I guess you can do the same domain blocking for Google with checking the spam folder and allowing people in your address book to get through.

No need to go through contortions!

All my spam comes into an account that gets nothing but spam, so I just scroll through its contents and report domains that I haven't seen before. (I'll keep a list for you.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39953 04/15/16 04:52 PM
OP Offline

I am using AppleMail POP. It doesn't report spam to the server. But, the only spam I am getting now are the .pw and they only come in bunches.

Last edited by slolerner; 04/15/16 04:57 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #39954 04/15/16 04:58 PM

My email server has got a "spam not caught" address that I use.

artie505 #39957 04/15/16 06:34 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I'll start keeping track, but I don't think I'm receiving spam from any of the guys on your list. (.apmex maaybe)

A lot of the spam you are getting is not originating from the domain in the headers. I wasn't clear: this list is the top domains both where spam mail as well as spoof originates. For example, the .edu. It's worth leaving on the list, but it didn't come from them.

Last edited by slolerner; 04/15/16 06:56 PM. Reason: clarity
slolerner #39959 04/15/16 07:44 PM

Nor was I clear... I'm getting both spam and spoofs (such as yahoo.com and pbs.org); I lump the two together as "spam".

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard