for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: desktop background
jaybass #39678 03/26/16 03:29 PM

My 10.6.8 installation has System Prefs v 7.0.

Is this after you've installed the segment from the Combo, or is the v 5.2 from your install disc?

(As I said, I was working from memory, so the "authenticate" part may have been a figment of same.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #39681 03/26/16 04:36 PM

I'm not sure attempting to reinstall the System Preferences app was the most appropriate solution to try. The app is really just a front end for accessing individual preference panes, most of which are found in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ and are presumably in a different location than the app in the installer package (though I don't have Pacifist and therefore can't confirm that).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #39682 03/26/16 04:38 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have tried 3 different browsers trying to SP v 7.0 but I cannot find a site that allows it. How did you get yours? It seems that 5.2 is the only reason I cannot download SP. Perhaps if I go back to where I was, I can get the update from there?The 5.2 must have come with the disk. Jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #39683 03/26/16 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: jaybass
I have tried 3 different browsers trying to SP v 7.0 but I cannot find a site that allows it. How did you get yours? It seems that 5.2 is the only reason I cannot download SP. Perhaps if I go back to where I was, I can get the update from there?The 5.2 must have come with the disk. Jaybass

If you mean that you're looking to download System Prefs v 7.0 as a free-standing app you're dreaming the impossible dream; it can only be gotten via some Apple installer or other.

I got my v 7.0 in the normal course of business...presumably after I installed the 10.6.8 Combo, so I don't understand why you haven't got it if you've installed that segment.

I dunno... dkmarsh may be right(*), and it may be time to just bite the bullet and either reinstall or run the entire 10.6.8 Combo.

If you decide on the latter, here's what you'll need to run...in order:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1

Safari 5.1.10 for Snow Leopard

Security Update 2013-004 (Snow Leopard)

Migration Assistant Update for Mac OS X Snow Leopard v1.1

Mac App Store Update for OS X Snow Leopard (Recent and may have been run already.)

Software update shouldn't offer you anything after they've been run, but if it does, install whatever comes up.

(*) This is what I've got in Snowy > System/Library/PreferencePanes; have you got all of them?

Accounts.prefPane
Appearance.prefPane
Bluetooth.prefPane
DateAndTime.prefPane
DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane
DigiHubDiscs.prefPane
Displays.prefPane
Dock.prefPane
EnergySaver.prefPane
Expose.prefPane
FibreChannel.prefPane
Ink.prefPane
Keyboard.prefPane
Localization.prefPane
Mac.prefPane
MobileMe.prefPane
Mouse.prefPane
Network.prefPane
ParentalControls.prefPane
PrintAndFax.prefPane
Security.prefPane
SharingPref.prefPane
SoftwareUpdate.prefPane
Sound.prefPane
Speech.prefPane
Spotlight.prefPane
StartupDisk.prefPane
TimeMachine.prefPane
Trackpad.prefPane
UniversalAccessPref.prefPane

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
dkmarsh #39684 03/26/16 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
The app is really just a front end for accessing individual preference panes, most of which are found in /System/Library/PreferencePanes/ and are presumably in a different location than the app in the installer package....

That's correct, and my bad for not having thought of it.

But it doesn't seem like the state of the individual pref panes behind the app should affect the app itself.

artie505 #39686 03/26/16 11:07 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have downloaded combo, security and SL is part of the combo right? However.
my Safari has changed from 5.1.10 to 5.0.5 Why would that happen? I tried to download the former but I cannot find a way. In pref panes, I have 29 items out of your 30. The missing one is Mac.prefPane and my son says it's only 4Kb. The problem now is that I cannot boot up from my external drive. I think I said when I click SP under the apple, NOTHING appears. Strangely enough, an icon for SP has appeared in the dock and in the apps but nothing happens when clicked and the icon is different from the usual one, pencil, brush & rule overlapping each other. Under the software apps, there are 2 SPs listed. One is 5.2 and the other has no version listed. In my apps, safari is showing as 5.0.5?? Q: Is there a way of booting up from one of my other drives? If I can do that, I can extract myself from this mess. I'm going to restart with the option key down and see where that goes. jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
jaybass #39687 03/26/16 11:52 PM

I have downloaded combo, security and SL is part of the combo right? However.
my Safari has changed from 5.1.10 to 5.0.5 Why would that happen? I tried to download the former but I cannot find a way. In pref panes, I have 29 items out of your 30. The missing one is Mac.prefPane and my son says it's only 4Kb. The problem now is that I cannot boot up from my external drive. I think I said when I click SP under the apple, NOTHING appears. Strangely enough, an icon for SP has appeared in the dock and in the apps but nothing happens when clicked and the icon is different from the usual one, pencil, brush & rule overlapping each other. Under the software apps, there are 2 SPs listed. One is 5.2 and the other has no version listed. In my apps, safari is showing as 5.0.5?? Q: Is there a way of booting up from one of my other drives? If I can do that, I can extract myself from this mess. I'm going to restart with the option key down and see where that goes. jaybass
  1. I linked you to the Combo and 4 other downloads that you'd need to run after it in post #39683.
  2. I explained earlier (and subsequently edited it out) that running the 10.6.8 Combo would revert your Safari to an earlier version; one of the links in post #39683 is to Safari 5.1.10.
  3. The Mac.prefPane relates to Mobile Me; I don't know why you'd be missing it.
  4. The SP icon you described is what you see when you install an update to an app that doesn't exist, i.e. it's not a complete app, which is why it won't launch.
  5. I expect that your "no version" SP has the same icon as is in your Dock? It sounds like something got bollixed when you installed the SP update from the 10.6.8 Combo.
  6. The option boot should work.

artie505 #39688 03/26/16 11:52 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

The start up manager has solved my problems. I had not used it before but it's good to know. Everything is as it was. I did a backup before that combo download so I haven't lost anything. Thanks for all your effort. I appreciate it. jaybass

jaybass #39689 03/26/16 11:55 PM

Crossed in the mail.

Sounds like you're back to square one, though...the problem that inspired your original post, right?

Edit: Have you tried command-clicking on your desktop to see if you're offered a "Change Desktop Background" option, and if so, does it work?

Last edited by artie505; 03/27/16 12:02 AM.

artie505 #39690 03/27/16 01:05 AM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I just tried that Desktop click but no joy. I think I'll give it a pass considering the question, was it worth it? I do have all 30 icons in Desktop pictures. HD>library. Can they be used at all? jaybass

jaybass #39691 03/27/16 06:30 AM

First, I realized why you wound up with two different versions of SP: after you authenticated you were asked whether you wanted to overwrite your pre-existing version or install, and you instinctively chose "install", so rather than overwriting, i.e. updating, your pre-existing version you installed the update as a freestanding "app" alongside it, thus the partial-app icon. Sorry for not having guided you through that critical step.

I don't understand why your Safari reverted, though, unless you ran the entire Combo, in which case I don't understand why SP wasn't updated from v 5.2 in that step. confused

Quote:
I do have all 30 icons in Desktop pictures. HD>library. Can they be used at all?

I did some searching and came up with some possibilities:

1. This article refers to "iPhoto '11", but there may be a similar option in the version you're running, in which case you can import the 30 items in /Library/Desktop Pictures into iPhoto and take advantage of it.

2. This article from 2010 is old enough that the two viable options it offers may work:
  • How to Change Mac Desktop Background Picture to an Image File
  • Setting OS X Desktop Wallpaper from Pictures on the Web with Safari
And if you'd like to give rerunning the Combo another shot post back and I'll link you to what you need again.

artie505 #39692 03/27/16 09:54 AM

This all seems to have gone down a rabbit hole ... confused

I still can't wrap my head around why, if the folder containing the relevant items but missing from the preference panes in System Preferences exists, it can't be simply (copied, if necessary, and then) dragged and dropped into the preference panes folder ... rather than the circuitous and ponderous route(s) so far suggested.

grelber #39694 03/27/16 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
I still can't wrap my head around why, if the folder containing the relevant items but missing from the preference panes in System Preferences exists, it can't be simply (copied, if necessary, and then) dragged and dropped into the preference panes folder ... rather than the circuitous and ponderous route(s) so far suggested.

The "folder containing the relevant items" - /Library/Desktop Pictures - has nothing to do with jaybass's problem which is that the pref pane that accesses that folder's contents is missing from his System Prefs GUI. (Whether or not it still lives on his Mac hasn't been established.)

Edit: The definitely ponderous but in no way circuitous routes, nuke & pave included, that have been suggested so far are the only ones of which I'm aware that can be used to restore the missing whatever's missing.

Last edited by artie505; 03/27/16 11:18 AM.

artie505 #39696 03/27/16 02:35 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I have just looked at SP under software apps. and there still 2 entries, 5.2 & 7.0 Why would that happen? When I click SP in apps, it is version 7.0! Thought I would let you know. jaybass

jaybass #39697 03/27/16 03:01 PM

I have just looked at SP under software apps. and there still 2 entries, 5.2 & 7.0 Why would that happen? When I click SP in apps, it is version 7.0! Thought I would let you know. jaybass

Hmmm... Has v 5.2 got a regular System Prefs icon or is it the odd one you described earlier, and can you change your desktop background with v 7.0?

artie505 #39698 03/27/16 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The "folder containing the relevant items" - /Library/Desktop Pictures - has nothing to do with jaybass's problem which is that the pref pane that accesses that folder's contents is missing from his System Prefs GUI. (Whether or not it still lives on his Mac hasn't been established.)

On my machine running Lion OS X 10.7.5 this is the route:
HD / System / Library / Preference Panes / DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane

So, if I understand you correctly, the last item no longer exists and needs to be reconstructed. Can one not search around and determine whether it (or what other essential) actually does still live on his Mac and proceed from there?

grelber #39702 03/27/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber

On my machine running Lion OS X 10.7.5 this is the route:
HD / System / Library / Preference Panes / DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane

So, if I understand you correctly, the last item no longer exists and needs to be reconstructed. Can one not search around and determine whether it (or what other essential) actually does still live on his Mac and proceed from there?

The pref pane is a completely separate animal from System Preferences.app: the latter is a GUI to access and manipulate the former, so "they're related only by marriage, not blood".

I've been working on the (logical starting point, I think) assumption that the pref pane is alive, well, and where it belongs, but the app has been corrupted such that it isn't showing, but that's not necessarily the case, and the problem may in fact lie with the pref pane itself.

Ball's back in jaybass's court.

jaybass #39703 03/28/16 07:43 AM

If you still can't change your desktop background with SP v 7.0 try navigating to /System/Library/Preference Panes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane and double-clicking on it.

This is an interesting problem; please keep us up to date.

artie505 #39709 03/28/16 06:25 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I do not have desktopScreenEffecysPrep. Those SP icons in the dock and apps are the gear wheel which okay. (1.9Mb) BTW, can I delete SP 5.2 in software apps and if I can, should I? jaybass

artie505 #39710 03/28/16 06:29 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

SP 5.2 does not show in my apps. Only 7.0 Thats's why I asked you if it is okay to delete 5.2 jaybass

jaybass #39716 03/29/16 07:58 AM

If you still can't change your desktop background with SP v 7.0 try navigating to /System/Library/Preference Panes/DesktopScreenEffectsPref.prefPane and double-clicking on it. (Emphasis added)

I do not have desktopScreenEffecysPrep.

In your post #39686 in response to my post #39683 you said

In pref panes, I have 29 items out of your 30. The missing one is Mac.prefPane....

and my list of 30 included it; did you navigate to /Library rather than /System/Library?

I'm assuming that you still can't change your desktop background from System Prefs v 7.0; is that correct, and if so, have you tried the three suggestions I linked to?

Those SP icons in the dock and apps are the gear wheel which okay. (1.9Mb) BTW, can I delete SP 5.2 in software apps....

and

SP 5.2 does not show in my apps. Only 7.0 Thats's why I asked you if it is okay to delete 5.2 (Emphasis added)

Those two quotes contradict each other, so...

If you've got both SP v 5.2 and 7.0 in /Applications you can dispense with v 5.2, but just to be on the safe side, move it to your desktop, and let it sit there for a while until you're certain that it's unnecessary; if v 5.2 is only an icon in your Dock you can drag it out and be done with it.

At this point I'm not at all sure where you are or how you got there; I'd love to have been looking over your shoulder.

artie505 #39719 03/29/16 01:44 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

I only have 7.0 in my apps. The 2 versions I mentioned are under the software apps (the apparent contradiction) which is why I asked if it is okay to delete the 5.2 However, now that I have solved the problem, I would still like to remove 5.2 Please let me know. My son has Snow Leopard so I asked him to email me the icon out of his SP's which he did. I double clicked the icon and then clicked the "fix the alias" option and then the install option. The program appeared instantly on my desktop ready to go. I tried a few background changes and everything was perfect, I then opened SP under the apple and the desktop icon and it was right there. How about that! The solution was so simple...out of the mouths of babes! I still have a few SP icons missing but I will determine if I need them. jaybass

jaybass #39795 04/04/16 09:24 PM

I finally made time to boot into my Snowy partition to see if I could figure out what your son sent you, and I had no luck; if there's a way to send an "icon" I couldn't figure it out. Did you say "icon" when you meant "file"?

Quote:
I only have 7.0 in my apps. The 2 versions I mentioned are under the software apps (the apparent contradiction) which is why I asked if it is okay to delete the 5.2 However, now that I have solved the problem, I would still like to remove 5.2

I've got no idea what "under the software apps" means, so although it sounds like you can get rid of 5.2 I can't say for certain.

I'm happy to hear that your problem is resolved, though. smile

artie505 #39799 04/05/16 12:30 PM
jaybass Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, glad you replied. The 2 versions you will find in "About this Mac", more info, and then under software, click apps and that was where the 2 versions were. I did trash 5.2 no problem. Go to system, lib, prefPanes and drag the Displays.prefPane icon to your desktop. You can then drag it into an email and when received, it appears as a light switch cover with the top right hand corner turned down. When opened, you can install it. I have just sent one to myself but of course, you cannot install it because you already have it. Hope this clarifies my previous post. I'm sure others may find this useful. Thanks for all your legwork. jaybass

jaybass #39822 04/08/16 06:10 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought you were talking about the pref pane itself when you said "icon" (but I wondered if your son had figured out how to do something I've never heard of).

I'm not sure how "Displays" has gotten into this discussion, but I guess it's one of your other missing SP icons?

I'd still love to have been looking over your shoulder, and I'll never understand files disappearing spontaneously from...well, from anywhere.

At any rate, I'm happy both to have tried to help and to hear that you're back up and running. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard