for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did not install OSX Fuse, found following disk fix
#39401 03/12/16 03:14 AM
OP Offline

So, my Time Machine drive would not mount after I unmounted it during a period of time when I was offline on purpose. After using Disk Repair multiple times, still did not mount. Used Onyx which found a disk error and told me to restart holding down Command-R. It restarted in a mode I have not seen before and gave me a window with the option to run Disk Utility again.

This time Disk Utility found a bitmap error and a file count error, which it was able to repair. Then I got a window asking me if I wanted to run OSX Fuse, whatever that is. Closed the window and the same application showed up in System Preferences panel when I went to go there to turn on Time Machine. Clicked on it and asked me if I wanted to remove it and I clicked yes. But it is still there.

(TM drive is now mounted)

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Did not install OSX Fuse, found following disk fix
slolerner #39404 03/12/16 08:30 AM

Command-R got you into your recovery partition, and this is why you needed to get there:

Originally Posted By: Apple
Disk Utility can verify your computer's startup disk (volume) without starting up from another volume. This feature is called "Live Verification." If Disk Utility discovers any issues that require a repair, you will need to start up from your Mac OS X Install DVD and use Disk Utility on that disc to make repairs (You can't repair your startup volume while your computer is started from it.). (Emphasis added)

(Doc was last updated in 2-26-2016, so I'm not sure why it doesn't mention recovery partition.)

I haven't got a clue how OSXFUSE got into the picture; as far as I can tell it's a 3rd party d/l that wouldn't even be on your Mac under ordinary circumstances.

Last edited by artie505; 03/12/16 11:15 AM. Reason: Add link

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39425 03/13/16 04:05 AM
OP Offline

How do I get rid of it?

Btw, after I ran Disk Utilty under the other started mode Onyx stopped alerting me of the errors. The disk tested perfectly.

Last edited by slolerner; 03/13/16 04:08 AM. Reason: More

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #39427 03/13/16 06:00 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
How do I get rid of it?

This looks promising:

Originally Posted By: GitHub
2.3. How can I uninstall "FUSE for OS X"?

Launch the "System Preferences" application and go to the "FUSE for OS X" preference pane. Click on the "Remove OSXFUSE" button. This will uninstall all "FUSE for OS X" components except the preference pane itself.

You can keep the "FUSE for OS X" preference pane around should you decide to install "FUSE for OS X" again in the future. If you do wish to remove it, you do it just like how you would remove any other non-Apple preference pane:

In System Preferences, control-click (right-click) on the "FUSE for OS X" icon and you will see "Remove ..." as an action.

Note: If you had the "Show Beta Versions" button checked in the "FUSE for OS X" preference pane, you will have a property list file remaining at: /Library/Preferences/com.github.osxfuse.plist. To remove it, you should un-check the button before you remove the preference pane as described above.

(I'd search afterwards just to make sure they're on the mark.)

But the better question is how did it get there in the first place?

Btw, after I ran Disk Utilty under the other started mode Onyx stopped alerting me of the errors. The disk tested perfectly.

Yep! That's expected...well, hoped for, anyhow.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39461 03/14/16 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

I have had Fuse installed as a support utility for another application. I can't say which one of yours required it, but it can appear without directly and consciously installing Fuse.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #39462 03/14/16 03:06 PM

slolerner found it after running "Repair Disk" in recovery mode preceded by having run OnyX while booted into OS X.

It doesn't seem like something like that ought to be able to happen in recovery mode, but maybe that's just my erroneous impression of the nature of the beast.

Got me beat. :osxfused:

artie505 #39470 03/14/16 04:38 PM
OP Offline

What exactly does Fuse do?

artie505 #39471 03/14/16 04:46 PM
OP Offline

slolerner found it after running "Repair Disk" in recovery mode preceded by having run OnyX while booted into OS X.

It doesn't seem like something like that ought to be able to happen in recovery mode, but maybe that's just my erroneous impression of the nature of the beast.

Certainly made things easier.

slolerner #39475 03/14/16 06:47 PM

What exactly does Fuse do?

Originally Posted By: MacUpdate
OSXFUSE allows you to extend OS X's native file-handling capabilities via third-party file systems. It is a successor to MacFUSE, which is no longer being maintained.

As a user, installing the OSXFUSE software package will let you use any third-party file system written atop OSXFUSE or MacFUSE, if you choose to install the MacFUSE compatibility layer. As a developer, you can use the OSXFUSE SDK to write numerous types of file systems as regular user-space programs. The content of these file systems can come from anywhere: from the local disk, from across the network, from memory, or any other combination of sources.

And please don't ask me what that means.

slolerner #39476 03/14/16 06:48 PM

Certainly made things easier.

I meant that it doesn't seem like OSXFUSE should have happened under the circumstances.

Ira L #39478 03/14/16 07:06 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: Ira L

I have had Fuse installed as a support utility for another application. I can't say which one of yours required it, but it can appear without directly and consciously installing Fuse.

Hmm, seems like another piece of "sneaky" software. Glad I use TechTool Pro for my disk repair/maintenance (after I have run Onyx), as I have never seen it.

artie505 #39479 03/14/16 07:12 PM

It means that it is used to allow the Mac to fully support files systems other than Mac OS or FAT, for example NTFS. As I recall Parallels Desktop and other Windows emulator apps install MacFuse or OSXFUSE to allow OS X to read AND write to NTFS formatted disks.

It even occurs to me it might be used on the Recovery Drive(?)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #39482 03/14/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

It means that it is used to allow the Mac to fully support files systems other than Mac OS or FAT, for example NTFS. As I recall Parallels Desktop and other Windows emulator apps install MacFuse or OSXFUSE to allow OS X to read AND write to NTFS formatted disks.

Thanks for that; my best guess would have been no better than a paraphrase of my post.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It even occurs to me it might be used on the Recovery Drive(?)

If that's the case, I wonder what circumstances invoked its appearance in slolerner's instance?

Last edited by artie505; 03/14/16 10:40 PM. Reason: Expand last sentence

artie505 #39484 03/14/16 10:09 PM
OP Offline

Could I have installed it when I installed special software so I could view my back MRIs?

slolerner #39486 03/14/16 10:34 PM

Could I have installed it when I installed special software so I could view my back MRIs?

That's a possibility, particularly because I seem to remember you having mentioned platform problems with the software, but that was a while ago; could oyu have overlooked it for so long?

artie505 #39488 03/14/16 11:31 PM
Banned
Banned

Wonder if following the steps above to get rid of it will also remove it from the Recovery HD partition? If not, then maybe the Recovery HD partition needs to be deleted/removed, and then "re-installed" again.

For both of my Macs, I have an eDrive bootable partition which one creates after initially installing TechTool Pro. It can perform the same functions as Disk Utility, and also do more useful tasks. One can also use it to restore from a clone backup. It cannot, though, perform an installation of the Mac OS, like the Recovery HD partition can. But, I have that covered, as when I have an issue that requires "external" software, I just boot my Mac from my most recent SuperDuper! backup.

honestone #39489 03/14/16 11:43 PM
OP Offline

That's a possibility, particularly because I seem to remember you having mentioned platform problems with the software, but that was a while ago; could oyu have overlooked it for so long?

Yes.

slolerner #39490 03/15/16 12:13 AM

Yes.

Then I'll go with its likely being associated with the MRI software. (Any chance you can find the thread in which it was discussed?)

Just to clarify, did you get the OSXFUSE pop-up when you were still booted into your recovery partition or after you booted back into OS X? (Edit: The presence of OSXFUSE in System Prefs has led me to assume the latter, nor do I think that there's any way for3rd party apps to run in recovery mode.)

Last edited by artie505; 03/15/16 12:19 AM.

artie505 #39492 03/15/16 02:07 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Artie505
Just to clarify, did you get the OSXFUSE pop-up when you were still booted into your recovery partition or after you booted back into OS X?

Can't remember whether it came up as an a recovery partition but that is probably why it came to my attention.
I remember the Control Panel icon for it looked like a drive.
Then I'll go with its likely being associated with the MRI software. (Any chance you can find the thread in which it was discussed?)

I'm looking for the thread, I found the one where Grelber suggested I get a "1990-something Ford Taurus bucket seat" at my desk in lieu of surgery.

Found it! Post 33285

slolerner #39493 03/15/16 09:18 AM

Just to clarify, did you get the OSXFUSE pop-up when you were still booted into your recovery partition or after you booted back into OS X?

Can't remember whether it came up as an a recovery partition but that is probably why it came to my attention.
I remember the Control Panel icon for it looked like a drive.

I'm looking for the thread, I found the one where Grelber suggested I get a "1990-something Ford Taurus bucket seat" at my desk in lieu of surgery.

Found it! Post 33285

It has never even occurred to me that a recovery partition is an "open system" despite its ability to access the Internet via Safari, and an attempt to d/l OSXFUSE into mine just now failed..."insufficient space". (I think it's a pretty fair assumption that a recovery partition is "no write" under any circumstances.)

Me, I'd just forget about it. OSXF is no longer on your boot volume, and if it's on your recovery partition it's there by default.

(Wrong thread. I was thinking of the one in which you described having trouble viewing your MRIs...needing different software.)

Last edited by artie505; 03/15/16 11:08 AM. Reason: Less

artie505 #39505 03/15/16 03:48 PM
Banned
Banned

If there is any possibility that this "rogue" software could be on the Recovery HD partition, then one can delete/remove it, and then rebuild it again. This link explains how to remove it:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/06/30/deleting-the-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-recovery-hd-partition/

After doing that, this link explains how to rebuild it (note that it assumes one has the "Install OS X whatever" file someplace, whether on the internal drive or somewhere else):

http://www.macworld.com/article/2602951/...-any-drive.html

Note also that one cannot use that software with a Fusion Drive setup.

I have used that gem of software quite a few times, and it works as advertised. In fact, after my last SuperDuper! "Restore all files" to my Mac Mini, there was no Recovery HD partition (SuperDuper! does not backup the Recovery HD partition. Carbon Copy Cloner does). So, I just ran Recovery Partition Creator, and sure enough, I was able to rebuild that partition. Although I do not really need it (have the eDrive partition also), I just wanted to prove that it works.

Last edited by honestone; 03/15/16 03:57 PM.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard