for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Photos won't use Seagate drive as library source
#39411 03/12/16 03:40 PM
OP Offline

I am having trouble moving my photo library file to my Seagate external drive.

I am using OS X el Capitan 10.11.1 & my Seagate drive works perfectly well with the Mac (it is OS X Extended (Journaled) format), I can read/write to it as usual.

When in Photos, I am in Preferences (General tab) and am trying to change the library location of the .photolibrary as described by Apple.

When I move the file to the external drive and then double click, I get the message .....

Switch Libraries - do you want to switch the current Photos Library to from "old library" to "new library"

I then click on "Switch", after a few seconds I get the message....

LIBARY COULD NOT BE OPENED. PHOTOS HAS ATTEMPTED TO REPAIR THE LIBRARY "NEW LIBRARY" BUT IS UNABLE TO OPEN IT

when I look at Console I get the following error:

Mar 9 18:53:25 Richards-MacBook-Pro PhotosRelauncher[7520]: App to relaunch:file:///Applications/Photos.app/, library:file:///Volumes/4TB%20External%20Drive/Photos%20Library%20NEW.photoslibrary/
Mar 9 18:53:25 Richards-MacBook-Pro PhotosRelauncher[7520]: Launch with library url.
Mar 9 18:53:26 Richards-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.Photos.7521): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iTunesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Photos.app
Mar 9 18:53:37 Richards-MacBook-Pro Photos[7521]: Error: Error Domain=com.apple.reddwarf Code=26 "RDErrorLibraryOnUnsupportedFilesystem" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/4TB%20External%20Drive/Photos%20Library%20NEW.photoslibrary/, NSLocalizedDescription=RDErrorLibraryOnUnsupportedFilesystem, NSUnderlyingError=0x7f9ded461c70 {Error Domain=com.apple.lithium Code=321 "LiErrorUnsupportedFilesystem" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/4TB%20External%20Drive/Photos%20Library%20NEW.photoslibrary/, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Windows NT Filesystem, NSLocalizedDescription=LiErrorUnsupportedFilesystem}}} while trying to open Photos Library NEW.photoslibrary

I have tried rebuilding the drive with disk utility, same result - I also have a second Seagate drive I use elsewhere, tried it on that, same result.

I have spoken to Seagate, they say their drive should work, it is a mac issue... anybody any help on this issue please?

Re: Photos won't use Seagate drive as library source
brownrec #39413 03/12/16 04:27 PM

It is apparently a Mac issue. A colleague of mine had a similar if not the same problem trying to migrate his photo library from the older OS's iPhoto to El Capitan's Photos on a brand-new MacBook Pro. (I'll leave the description of his frustrated fury aside.)

The solution (once he became aware of it) was to open Photos, select Import (Library), find Library under iPhoto and click on it. It worked lickety-split.

The same was true for iMovie. El Capitan apparently does not come with Movie, but he was able to download it for free (presumably from the Apple Store). And then he proceeded in the same fashion to migrate his iMovie files to Movie.

Give 'er a shot.

grelber #39414 03/12/16 04:32 PM

I don't read the original post as an attempt to import from iPhoto, but an attempt to relocate an existing Photo library.

Regardless, grelber's suggestion would also be mine. Move the old library to the external drive, open Photo and try to import from the new location.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
brownrec #39415 03/12/16 04:37 PM

A BIG WELCOME to FTM. I'm glad that you followed my suggestion to post here after you tried MacIssues.

Good luck in solving your problem! smile

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #39416 03/12/16 04:41 PM

brownrec's problem is not an "updating your library" problem like your colleague dealt with; in this instance the problem is with relocating a library to a location other than its default, or, as the case may be, existing home.

It might be helpful if brownrec posted a link to the Apple instructions that are not working as expected.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
brownrec #39418 03/12/16 05:10 PM

The error message indicates the drive you are using is formatted Windows NTSF not Mac OS Extended. To use it for either an iTunes or Photos library it must be formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled). Take a look at the drive in Disk Utility and I believe you will find the drive is NOT properly formatted.

Unless the drive is being accessed by Windows computers as well as your MacBook Pro you should be able to repartition the drive not the volume on the drive (even if it is still a single partition) and choose a GUID partition map and Mac OS Extended (journaled) as the format. That should clear up your problem.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #39419 03/12/16 05:20 PM
OP Offline

thank you!

artie505 #39420 03/12/16 05:21 PM
OP Offline

Hi, thanks for the suggestion

joemikeb #39421 03/12/16 05:30 PM
OP Offline

Hi Joemikeb - thanks for your email but I believe it is correctly formatted.

(I have just double check in Disk Utility - the Format = OS X Extended (Journaled) and Scheme = GUID Partion Map)

I do not have any windows machines, I only use mac and this drive has never been formatted for windows before (except the default set up when bought), only mac

if you have any other suggestions, then I would very glad to hear them

brownrec #39422 03/12/16 08:18 PM

Perhaps it's a dead end, but I don't understand the reference to iTunes in this Console entry:

Mar 9 18:53:26 Richards-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.Photos.7521): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iTunesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Photos.app (Emphasis added)

As I previously requested, please link us to the instructions you followed.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39453 03/14/16 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Perhaps it's a dead end, but I don't understand the reference to iTunes in this Console entry:

Mar 9 18:53:26 Richards-MacBook-Pro com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.Photos.7521): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.iTunesLibraryService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Photos.app (Emphasis added)

I don't have any experience with that error, but it appears that it's some sort of security that blocks added or modified elements within a protected application from running. (so if some malware patches a legit app like iTunes by overwriting one of its components, it won't run)
"The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle" -> "this doesn't look like an original part of the application"

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #39459 03/14/16 02:36 PM

The curious thing is the iTunes reference in feedback from an attempt to deal with iPhoto.

Scrambling up the facts as is my wont, I'm wondering if brownrec's problem is maybe having spaced out and tried to apply iTunes instructions to iPhoto.

Hmmm...

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard