Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
tacit #42311 10/26/16 05:57 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Originally Posted By: ryck

And, it would appear, his ravings about "dishonest media" have brought out the thuggery in others.

I am of two minds about the attacks on David French by racist D̛̞̞̟̼̘̦̏͆̇́̇͘͡͞ǫ̤̹̣̺̫̖̃̔͒̐͂͐͗̕͢͞ń̛̛̖͉̲̜̗̎̀̊̇̄͘͟͞ă̧̛̱͍̱͓̟̒̋͋̋͛̕͠l̠̭͖̪̦̠̝̩͐̑̀́͜͡d̘̖̤͎̙̐̐͊̉͡ T̵̨̜̤͖̱̂̾̈̈̍̇͠ͅr̡̘̱̫̻͇̰̳͙̣̈́͑̒̑̉̎̐͒͘̚ų̵̧̤͎̳̋́̋̀͆̋̆͋̕͠m̼͇̹̝̤̯̹̓̾̍͂̔̈͑́̕p̶̧̨̙̟͓͈͚̂̒̏͗͘͞ supporters.

On the one hand, nobody deserves the kind of abuse French and his family are being put through. It is absolutely vile and inexcusable.

Ḋ̵̪͇̟̣̪̞̜̽̊̃̒̾̾͒ō̴̧̨͔̺̺͕̿̐̍͋̂͆̀̊͞ͅń͉̬͈̺͙̼̣͓͈̦͑͆́̇͘͡͡ã̶̯͇͉̫̰͕̦̹͛̽͊͐̒̕͡l̟̗̙̱̦̍̓̌̎͋͒́̈͘͝d̸̰̭̟̠̟̔̈͋͊̋͑͟͝ Ť̸̨͍̱̥̳̂̿̑̐ŗ̸̧̡̗͙̬̜̪́̊̏̋́́̉̐̓͜ŭ̸̞̫̜͇̝̙͊̽̽͂m̙͔̪͍̻͓͋̆͂̒̑̓͝͞͠p̠̞͓̬̣̮͔̮͐̊́̈́́͘͜ͅ has brought out the worst in American politics. Maybe this is what it will take to make "mainstream" conservatives finally begin to understand what they have created.

Trump has brought out the worst in America...period!!!

Is hope worth the effort?

(What on Earth are the artifacts in your post? There's more to see if you hit the "Quote" button.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
tacit #42312 10/26/16 12:27 PM

I don't know why David French is surprised by the amount of hate he is being bombarded with. People on the left side of the political spectrum have been talking about this for years.

I don't disagree at all, and neither did the black interviewer who said that the hateful actions "….were vile and reprehensible but….." and went on to make a similar point.

ō̴̧̨͔̺̺͕̿̐̍͋̂͆̀̊͞ͅń͉̬͈̺͙̼̣͓͈̦͑͆́̇͘͡͡ã̶̯͇͉̫̰͕̦̹͛̽͊͐̒̕͡l̟̗̙̱̦̍̓̌̎͋͒́̈͘͝d̸̰̭̟̠̟̔̈͋͊̋͑͟͝ Ť̸̨͍̱̥̳̂̿̑̐ŗ̸̧̡̗͙̬̜̪́̊̏̋́́̉̐̓͜ŭ̸̞̫̜͇̝̙͊̽̽͂m̙͔̪͍̻͓͋̆͂̒̑̓͝͞͠p̠̞͓̬̣̮͔̮͐̊́̈́́͘͜ͅ has brought out the worst in American politics. Maybe this is what it will take to make "mainstream" conservatives finally begin to understand what they have created.

I hope you're right and, while some prominent Republicans inexplicably still support Trump, other high-profile Republicans like Colin Powell are saying what needs to be said about Donald Trump.

Last edited by ryck; 10/26/16 12:31 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #42313 10/26/16 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
(What on Earth are the artifacts in your post? There's more to see if you hit the "Quote" button.)

Indeed. Pretty weird. Strange use of diacritics et al, especially in vertial strings.

tacit #42317 10/26/16 04:25 PM

I don't know why David French is surprised by the amount of hate he is being bombarded with. People on the left side of the political spectrum have been talking about this for years. It seems like prominent conservatives only understand it when it's directed at them, which to me speaks to an inability to listen to or empathize with other people.
I am a white anglo-taxon protestant, software design engineer, university lecturer, and theological dilettante; a self described fiscal conservative and social moderate who had always voted Republican until Barack Hussein Obama ran for election; and my wife is a dyed in the wool "yellow dog" Democrat. We have both been active literally for decades in promoting full inclusion of LGBT persons in our denomination. We were both aware that some racial unease still existed but in our experience we have seen that as a cultural/economic issue rather than racial (it was racial only because skin color is easily seen).

That said, we have been stunned by the amount of racism, hatred, and vitriol that emerged from under a rock when Obama was elected. I now believe that it is virtually impossible for anyone to fully comprehend the nuances of prejudice that exist in the world and those nuances can NOT be ignored. The type of hatred you have experienced, David French wrote about, and we are seeing — on both sides of today's political spectrum — all stem from a common poisoned root — FEAR. Fear based in ignorance. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the unexpected. Fear of the loss of power. Fear of a loss of status. Fear of change the individual cannot control. Fear of inaction. Fear of being powerless. Fear of difference. All of us are subject to fear at some level and on some issues but it is patently evident that in today's world, not just in the United States but in the world at large, there are those who are more fear driven than others and those fears are independent of political parties and labels such as conservative, liberal, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, evangelical, progressive, Christian, Muslim, Jew, etc, etc, etc.

Mr Trump, I suspect because he is at his base a fearful man, has tapped into that base of fear and like demagogues throughout the ages is fanning the embers of fear into flames. Hillary Clinton's gender coming on top of eight years of the previous new thing, a man of African American descent as president, switches the fanning into high gear. To me, the best news coming out of all this is Trump's continuing fall in the polls. I wish I thought that was because of Secretary Clinton's popularity, but I am afraid that it is more based on fear of a Trump presidency. (Once again FEAR becomes the operative factor in my decision. 👹)

Persecution and abuse as I can only suspect you have encountered is never acceptable, but I FEAR that because your relationships are seen as different it is sadly inevitable that you will encounter it at some times and some places. I suspect more often any approbation is anonymous — it is a lot easier than a face to face confrontation. Change takes time, cultural change takes a long time. But that is of little comfort to you and yours when it happens.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #42324 10/26/16 07:31 PM

That style of text is called "Zalgo text." It comes from a series of online horror stories about a Cthulu-esque creature called Zalgo, a malignant entity with the power to destroy the world.

In the stories, Zalgo's name is always displayed with those weird diacritics.

I thought it was appropriate for D̡̫̘͚̦̔́̍̀̕ó̢͉̘̘͕͕̫̼͓̱̊̎̀̾́̚ǹ̡̛͉͔̜̭̿̈́̄͂͟͢ȁ̛̙̯̞̦̋̑̅̇̀̕͢͟͡ͅl̡̳̝̼̺̲̖̂̆̏̉͂͐͐̕͜͝d̖̹̖͈̦̉̈̄͒̒̃͆͒͢ T̷̝̰̪̘̙̣̟̲̜̓̃̅́͑͒̈́̀̈́r̵̡̨̢̻̱̯̳̝̜̈̑͊͌̌͗͠͡͡u̷̼̭͉̭̥̰͉̯̓͐̈́̽̅͛́́̀m̢̹͍̟̭̬͒̈̾̽̓͌̑̏̀̚͢p̭̼̻͈̖̲̊̾̃̀̇̕̕͜, who is also a malignant entity.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #42326 10/26/16 07:40 PM

That style of text is called "Zalgo text." It comes from a series of online horror stories about a Cthulu-esque creature called Zalgo, a malignant entity with the power to destroy the world.

In the stories, Zalgo's name is always displayed with those weird diacritics.

I thought it was appropriate for D̡̫̘͚̦̔́̍̀̕ó̢͉̘̘͕͕̫̼͓̱̊̎̀̾́̚ǹ̡̛͉͔̜̭̿̈́̄͂͟͢ȁ̛̙̯̞̦̋̑̅̇̀̕͢͟͡ͅl̡̳̝̼̺̲̖̂̆̏̉͂͐͐̕͜͝d̖̹̖͈̦̉̈̄͒̒̃͆͒͢ T̷̝̰̪̘̙̣̟̲̜̓̃̅́͑͒̈́̀̈́r̵̡̨̢̻̱̯̳̝̜̈̑͊͌̌͗͠͡͡u̷̼̭͉̭̥̰͉̯̓͐̈́̽̅͛́́̀m̢̹͍̟̭̬͒̈̾̽̓͌̑̏̀̚͢p̭̼̻͈̖̲̊̾̃̀̇̕̕͜, who is also a malignant entity.

Nice touch! (A bit obscure, though.)

How did you insert the diacritics? I'd never have guessed that UBB.threads could display them.

Edit: OK, I see that there's a Zalgo Text Generator, but I'm still surprised that the Forum software can render it.

Edit 2: Well, I just did it m͖̤̩̹̺ͨ̀̕͡y͉͎ͭͤͣ͝s͉̲̼͈̠̩͗ͯ͗ͤ̇͢eͫͧ҉̡̹̬l̤̫̫̘͍̾f̔͋͐͏̰̘̦! (Strange that the diacritics don't turn blue when I command-C them but appear in a command-V, anyhow.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/26/16 10:13 PM. Reason: Add link +

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #42327 10/26/16 07:58 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Trump didn't invent bigotry, but his campaign undoubtedly foments it. Somalis Living an American Dream in Kansas Glimpse a Nightmare Closer to home (mine, that is), Trump supporters took umbrage at a statement of the obvious. Trump-swastika sign in window of Saugerties bookstore draws protesters.

As an ethnic Jew (non-practicing and and a non-believer), I feel all of this very keenly. My grandparents immigrated from Russia because of this type of persecution and found a refuge here. Make America great again? The key is to embrace diversity and welcome those who are in danger in their homeland.

My father loved to tell the following story: FDR was scheduled to give a speech to the Daughters of the American Revolution. The DAR was well known for its hostility toward immigrants, forgetting that they, themselves, were descendants of colonists. He began his speech with "Fellow immigrants..."

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #42333 10/27/16 01:24 AM

Trump has been a thug forever!

That's for sure.

I just watched Trump saying that he wants every black youth in America to feel safe walking down the street. What complete hypocrisy from a thug who put full page ads in New York papers demanding the death penalty be given to five black youths for a crime they did not commit.

And, let us not forget, this was the action of the same person who today whines that women are accusing him without evidence.

Last edited by ryck; 10/27/16 01:31 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42334 10/27/16 01:48 AM

Quote:
And, let us not forget, this was the action of the same person who today whines that women are accusing him without evidence.

I feel badly for those women, because he'll sue them 'til they're bankrupt simply out of vindictiveness...with absolutely no regard for winning or losing.

He gives new meaning to the word "whino"!

I certainly hope some benefactors are as willing to finance them as Trump is to support his thugs.

artie505 #42488 11/03/16 01:47 PM

With less than a week to go, Canada's national newspaper has written an editorial with the salutation "Dear United States of America".

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/16 01:49 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42491 11/03/16 02:22 PM

Nice editorial..makes this unfortunately good point:

Quote:
As a politician, however, something about Ms. Clinton has always rubbed a lot of Americans the wrong way, and the Democratic Party’s decision to nominate her was a political error. She’s the one candidate able to get independents and moderate Republicans to overlook Mr. Trump’s overwhelming unfitness for the job.

frown

artie505 #42501 11/03/16 11:09 PM

Yes, and that's too bad although I'm not sure I fully understand the view that "…something about Ms. Clinton has always rubbed Americans the wrong way…". I'm not an American so I can't speak from that perspective, but I also can't figure out what the sore point might be.

Getting healthcare for kids?
All the work she's done to help kids get an education?
Getting funding for the World Trade Center redevelopment following 9/11?
Negotiating the Iran deal?
Standing up for groups like the LGBT community?
Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

It seems to me the good she's done far outweighs all else….including her poor judgement on emails.

Last edited by ryck; 11/03/16 11:11 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42502 11/03/16 11:48 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I'm firmly convinced that a great deal of the antipathy toward Clinton would not be there if she were a man. The US is still not ready for a strong, confident, competent woman. I'm also convinced that the antipathy toward Obama would not be as virulent if he were white.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42503 11/04/16 12:36 AM

Quote:
The US is still not ready for a strong, confident, competent woman.

I think we are. The problem is the numerous obstacles to entry in the hands of a disproportionately powerful minority who are not. And even those desperate obstructionists are falling by the wayside.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #42504 11/04/16 12:46 AM

Quote:
...something about Ms. Clinton has always rubbed a lot of Americans the wrong way...

And yet less than two years ago, she was the most admired living women for the 13th year in a row, according to the annual Gallup poll on such matters.

Well, nothing a bunch of unemployed Swift Boaters couldn't dismantle! wink

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
ryck #42506 11/04/16 01:54 AM

Yes, and that's too bad although I'm not sure I fully understand the view that "…something about Ms. Clinton has always rubbed Americans the wrong way…". I'm not an American so I can't speak from that perspective, but I also can't figure out what the sore point might be.

Getting healthcare for kids?
All the work she's done to help kids get an education?
Getting funding for the World Trade Center redevelopment following 9/11?
Negotiating the Iran deal?
Standing up for groups like the LGBT community?
Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

It seems to me the good she's done far outweighs all else….including her poor judgement on emails.

Originally Posted By: Marc Antony
"...but the good is oft interred with their bones."

Hillary has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way going all the way back to "Whitewater" and "Travelgate"; there's always been an undercurrent of dislike roiling around her.

dkmarsh #42507 11/04/16 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:
...something about Ms. Clinton has always rubbed a lot of Americans the wrong way...

And yet less than two years ago, she was the most admired living women for the 13th year in a row, according to the annual Gallup poll on such matters.

Originally Posted By: Linked article
When asked to name a woman they've heard or read about and admire, 12% mentioned Clinton, the former secretary of state, New York senator and first lady.
Eight percent said Oprah Winfrey, 5% said Nobel Peace prize winner Malala Yousafzai, and 4% said first lady Michelle Obama.

Pres. Obama won the men's side that year with 19%.

Given the poll's visibility parameter and their incredibly high visibility, neither Clinton nor Obama scored an impressive victory.

ryck #42508 11/04/16 02:46 AM

The term I've heard is "Clinton Derangement Syndrome."

The Right in the US has an almost visceral hatred of the Clintons, Bill and Hillary both. They've spent twenty-five years doing nothing but accusing the Clintons of a wide range of criminal misdeeds, and spent literally tens of millions of dollars on investigation after investigation, inquiry after inquiry, probe after probe. Not one, not two, but three special prosecutors have been appointed to investigate the Clintons. There have been too many FBI investigations to count.

Every single one of those investigations has turned up nothing, but that doesn't matter. If you've lived in America for the last 25 years, you've been submerged in an ocean of news reports of accusations and investigations.

Joseph Goebbels has been quoted as saying if you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it is true. Twenty-five years of nonstop "The Clintons are criminals! The Clintons are criminals!" has had its effect. It doesn't matter that they're arguably the most-investigated family in human history and all this investigation has produced zero evidence of wrongdoing. If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it.

Clinton Derangement Syndrome is the irrational belief that the Clintons must be guilty of something, or else why would people have spent all this time saying they're guilty of something?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
jchuzi #42512 11/04/16 03:20 AM

Speaking as one from north of the 49th parallel . . .

If TRUMP gets voted in by the people, then the people deserve what they get (and have only themselves to blame).

However, CLINTON could easily get in IF - but that's a big "if" - enough Democrats and Independents decide she is worth going to the voting booth for. One thing that can be said for the Republicans (cough!), is that, in general, they really value their right to vote . . . and will go to the polls even if they have to be carried there.

grin

ryck #42513 11/04/16 03:46 AM

" . . . I don't think that Canadians get to point fingers...after all, we kept Stephen Harper in as Prime Minister from 2006 to 2015 . . . "

----------------

Sad, but true. However, 2006-15 was a time when a 3rd party in Canada (The NDP) could give a good kick at the cat. Or, at least, draw away many folks who otherwise would choose Liberal over Conservative, thus giving Conservative Mr. Harper the edge with vote splitting between the Liberals and NDPs.

Hopefully, some of the Independents in the USA will throw their vote to Mrs. Clinton rather than to some other non-Trump candidate.

This past election, thanks to greatly-diminished Conservative voters and abysmal NDP numbers, the Liberal Party swept through the country on election night.

Personal foibles and human imperfections aside, put Trump's Public Service Resume (???) up against Clinton's. Seriously, a "no brainer" choice to make.

grelber #42515 11/04/16 08:00 AM

With 4 days to go until the American polls open, perhaps it is time for those of us north of the 49th to line up along the border with our heads bowed in silence ... waiting until the polls close and the results are in and to assist the potentially fleeing hordes in a literal hands-across-border rescue mission. (Don't worry about Alaska; they're sure to survive pretty much unscathed, just due to geography.)

The situation is a lot like 1968, a year which was almost as violent as this one. Then there was the Vietnam War, with bombing of the North ceasing just before Election Day, the North Koreans were behaving just as badly (remember the USS Pueblo), Martin Luther King Jr and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated, Eugene McCarthy was beaten bloody by Mayor Richard ("shoot to kill") Daley's police goons at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago, a time to write in Eldridge Cleaver on the presidential ballot in protest, and Richard ("not a crook") Nixon was elected president. Ergo, a familiar scenario — at least to those of us long enough in the tooth to survive and remember it.

tacit #42517 11/04/16 09:41 AM

Clinton Derangement Syndrome is the irrational belief that the Clintons must be guilty of something, or else why would people have spent all this time saying they're guilty of something?

Thank you for the explanation….I found it very helpful.

Unfortunately, "Clinton Derangement Syndrome" could also mean that if Hillary Clinton wins the election, but the Democrats do not win what she needs in Congress, it's most likely the Republicans will not allow her to succeed - no matter how beneficial any particular piece of legislation might be for the American people.

How sad. How very, very sad.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42518 11/04/16 10:00 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

jchuzi #42519 11/04/16 10:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi

He's gonna throw the most dangerous and damaging temper tantrum in history if he loses...and for absolutely no other reason than that he lost. EXTREMELY crazy !

artie505 #42522 11/04/16 01:07 PM

He's gonna throw the most dangerous and damaging temper tantrum in history if he loses...

What a visual…Donald Trump holding his breath and stamping his tiny feet. If it wasn't so extremely sad, we could all laugh.

Last edited by ryck; 11/04/16 01:08 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 24 of 40 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard