FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 40 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
joemikeb #39252 03/03/16 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It is not how many voters does a candidate appeal to, rather how many voters has the candidate NOT offended.

Except......Trump has had disparaging remarks for pretty much everyone, and he's out front.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
honestone #39253 03/03/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: honestone
Yeah, Saul Goodman for President!

And a great campaign slogan/banner: Better Call Saul!

grelber #39254 03/03/16 10:28 PM

We, The People of Fine Tuned Mac, Hereby Nominate Saul Goodman (aka Slippin' Jimmy) for President of the United States of America.

"Hi, I'm Saul Goodman. Did you know that you have rights? The constitution says you do! And so do I."

slolerner #39258 03/04/16 05:52 AM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: slolerner
We, The People of Fine Tuned Mac, Hereby Nominate Saul Goodman (aka Slippin' Jimmy) for President of the United States of America.

"Hi, I'm Saul Goodman. Did you know that you have rights? The constitution says you do! And so do I."

Since Bob Odenkirk was also the sheriff in Season 1 of "Fargo" (the best series ever!), I'm positive he wants Billy Bob Thornton (aka, Lorne Malvo) as his running mate:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/farg...=20140226220226

Some campaign slogans they can use are:

"You've grown up believing there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas. All we had is what we could take and defend"

"Some roads you shouldn't go down. Because maps used to say there be dragons here, but now they don't.. But that don't mean the dragons aren't there"

Last edited by honestone; 03/04/16 01:53 PM.
joemikeb #39259 03/04/16 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It is not how many voters does a candidate appeal to, rather how many voters has the candidate NOT offended.

I watched a TV blurb this morning from a rally that Trump held following the debates last night. It seems clear to me that, if nothing else, this guy knows about picking buttons and how to push them.

He referred to the fact that Carrier is moving their production to Mexico which will put 1,400 Americans out of work. His response essentially (I can't quote exactly) was that, as President, he would call the CEO of Carrier to say he hopes that Carrier enjoys their new plant in Mexico. However, every air conditioner they send into the U.S. will be met with a 35% tax.

For any American who has had their job shipped to another country, that is an appealing big button. Further, the idea is black and white, none of the grayish nuance that seasoned politicians prefer.

It seems to me that Trump (and I'd add, Bernie Sanders) have tapped into something percolating in the American electorate - the same old, same old has to go. Meanwhile the political elite has yet to wake up.

Last edited by ryck; 03/04/16 02:20 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39261 03/04/16 02:28 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Of course, he neglected to say that, even as President, he doesn't have the power to levy that tax. He seems to think that he can govern by bluff and intimidation. The Constitution doesn't work that way, but how many voters understand that?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #39262 03/04/16 03:04 PM

You're absolutely tight….and I'm quite sure Trump knows he wouldn't have the power but he also knows the answer to your question, "…how many voters understand that?" Not a lot.

Interestingly, the CNN item was followed by an interview with a union leader expressing concerns about lack of understanding.

This race has changed from seeking the best presidential candidate to finding someone who can beat Trump and, with the exception of John Kasich, the remaining alternatives are IMHO also pretty scary.

Last edited by ryck; 03/04/16 03:25 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39263 03/04/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
You're absolutely tight ... and I'm quite sure Trump knows he wouldn't have the power but he also knows the answer to your question, "... how many voters understand that?" Not a lot.

1. I'd be drinking a lot too if I lived down there.
2. You give credit to Tromp [sic] for a mentality above that of a cricket. (Sorry, crickets.) I suspect he's never read and/or understood the Constitution.
3. Apparently most of the voters are morons (current company excepted), given the outcomes of the caucuses and primaries.

grelber #39264 03/04/16 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
You give credit to Tromp [sic] for a mentality above that of a cricket. (Sorry, crickets.) I suspect he's never read and/or understood the Constitution.

“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.” Lao Tzu

"He who exercises no forethought but makes light of his opponents is sure to be captured by them." Sun Tzu

Apparently most of the voters are morons (current company excepted), given the outcomes of the caucuses and primaries.

I don't think that Canadians get to point fingers...after all, we kept Stephen Harper in as Prime Minister from 2006 to 2015.

Last edited by ryck; 03/04/16 05:20 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #39266 03/04/16 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Of course, he neglected to say that, even as President, he doesn't have the power to levy that tax. He seems to think that he can govern by bluff and intimidation. The Constitution doesn't work that way, but how many voters understand that?

On the other hand, if he were to win and carry Congress such a tax would be a legislative possibility.

I think an awful lot of people would find the idea of penalizing companies that move jobs out of America to be an appealing idea.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #39267 03/04/16 08:08 PM
Banned
Banned

Plain and simple, Trump says it like it needs to be said. Just about all his ideas are what the vast majority of us want. And, at least he is direct in saying that he needs to get around all the political BS.

It is unfortunate, though, that he'll most likely have a Congress (even if it's dominated by Republicans) who will still be mired in politics, and thus limit and/or stop some (or maybe all) the things he'd like to get done.

Last edited by honestone; 03/04/16 08:09 PM.
honestone #39269 03/05/16 08:54 AM

Plain and simple, Trump says it like it needs to be said. Just about all his ideas are what the vast majority of us want. And, at least he is direct in saying that he needs to get around all the political BS.

Pure and simple, the man is a nutbar with a flair for pandering to mindless fanatics who can barely manage to keep their various sphincters functioning.
Purer and simpler, you get what you pay/pray/play for.

On this side of the border opinion has it that: President Trump? Pass the smelling salts.

And this New York Times op-ed piece pretty much says it all: Donald Trump, the Great Betrayer.

Last edited by grelber; 03/05/16 04:05 PM. Reason: additions
honestone #39270 03/05/16 09:24 AM

Define "us".

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39276 03/05/16 07:08 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: artie505

Define "us".

So many folks in the US are frustrated and fed up with all the political BS that goes on in DC. And, the "us" is represented by just about all those folks who are voting for him the primaries.

grelber #39277 03/05/16 07:24 PM

Could it be?! Er ist wieder da / Look who's back

"[He] today is taken seriously among all classes of [Americans]. He is feared by some, enthusiastically hailed as a prophet and political economic savior by others, and watched with increasing sympathetic interest by the bulk who, apparently, are merely biding the psychological moment to mount [his] bandwagon. ... Another condition favorable to the outburst of the movement is the widespread discontent with the existing state of affairs among all classes in the towns and cities under the increasing economic pressure."

"A sophisticated politician credited [him] with peculiar political cleverness ..., saying: 'You can't expect the masses to understand or appreciate your finer real aims. You must feed the masses with cruder morsels and ideas .... It would be politically all wrong to tell them the truth about where you really are leading them.' "

To see history repeating itself, check out:
New Popular Idol Rises in Bavaria (The New York Times, November 21, 1922).

grelber #39280 03/05/16 07:42 PM

....nah, The Donald isn't vocally anti-semitic in his rants....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #39282 03/05/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac

That's why I scratched that from the quoted passages.

MacManiac #39286 03/05/16 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac

Regardless, though, he is the most Hitler-esque individual to ever run for any high American political office of whom I'm aware. (Didn't he prophesy [sic] just a a day or two ago that "They'll follow orders!"?)

grelber #39287 03/05/16 09:26 PM

Seems to me at least that somehow the Bill of Rights has become the only part of the Constitution that most people think is important. I'm not sure that many besides political junkies really understand the whole balance of power thing. It's the same people who think the First Amendment means you can say anything they want to that think a President can do anything he wants to.

Last edited by slolerner; 03/05/16 09:29 PM. Reason: clarity
slolerner #39289 03/05/16 10:54 PM
Banned
Banned

I suspect that his "commands" will subside if he wins. He'll see that such actions will not work in DC. But, again, as grelber posted above:

"Another condition favorable to the outburst of the movement is the widespread discontent with the existing state of affairs among all classes in the towns and cities under the increasing economic pressure."

Yup, that is at the "grass roots" level, although similar frustrations are at higher levels, too.

To his credit, he has raised some issues that were not even being discussed, specifically the Immigration and Trade Imbalance issues. No one can dispute his proposal to build a high wall (I heard 50 feet high) along the4 US-Mexican border, but I'm not sure how he's going to get Mexico to pay for it. And his remarks about the trade imbalance with China and Mexico are also accurate, and although his proposals seem "rough", that could be what it takes.

honestone #39290 03/05/16 11:11 PM

Quote:
No one can dispute his proposal to build a high wall (I heard 50 feet high) along the4 US-Mexican border, but I'm not sure how he's going to get Mexico to pay for it.

Particularly not after Mexico's president has disdained talking to him...likening him to Hitler. (I've heard that he intends to build it using Middle-Easterners as slave labor. wink )

Edit: "No one can dispute...." is a pretty broad statement; documentation would be in order.

Edit 2: Eleven Reasons Why Donald Trump Is Not Adolf Hitler

Edit 3: Anxiety Over Trump Presidency

Last edited by artie505; 03/06/16 09:44 AM.

honestone #39291 03/05/16 11:52 PM

Well, let's take a look at that. Trump has said:

- The country is in decline because of foreign countries, and we need to be willing to go to war with those foreign countries to make this country great again.

- A lot of the problems this country faces are because of a religious minority. We need to force members of that religion to register with the government. We need to keep members of that religion out of the country. The government should have the power to shut down the places where those people worship.

- The press should not be free to criticize the leader of the country. Newspapers that criticize the leader should be punished.

- The government should be free to use torture on its enemies.

I can recall another politician who said those exact same things. Is this what you refer to as "saying it like it needs to be said"? It seems to me that it didn't end so well for the last politician to promote these ideas.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
artie505 #39300 03/06/16 02:40 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: artie505
Quote:
No one can dispute his proposal to build a high wall (I heard 50 feet high) along the4 US-Mexican border, but I'm not sure how he's going to get Mexico to pay for it.

Particularly not after Mexico's president has disdained talking to him...likening him to Hitler. (I've heard that he intends to build it using Middle-Easterners as slave labor. wink )

Edit: "No one can dispute...." is a pretty broad statement; documentation would be in order.

Edit 2: Eleven Reasons Why Donald Trump Is Not Adolf Hitler

Edit 3: Anxiety Over Trump Presidency

Don't care about what the Mexican president said. If Trump can get him to pay for the wall, all the better.

And, here is excitement about Trump's candidacy:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anxiety%...rump+presidency

Also, just yesterday, he won 2 more states.

grelber #39301 03/06/16 03:00 PM

Purer and simpler, you get what you pay/pray/play for.

I don't know about "play" but, on the "pay" and "pray" fronts, but my guess is that the next two weeks are going to see a barrage of ruthless anti-Trump attack ads sponsored by the sectarian right and by funding covered in Koch brother fingerprints.

The intention of the ads will be to push Cruz to the front, a prospect I find be just as scary as Trump....maybe even scarier.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #39302 03/06/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
[quote=grelber]"Peaceful coexistence" is a convenient fiction which only exists because the "800-pound gorilla in the room" deems it acceptable for the moment.

200 years of neighbourly conduct and the longest undefended border in the world is neither fictional nor momentary.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Most recently (and for years) COOL (country of origin labeling), which cost the Canadian economy billions of dollars. It took years of fighting for the WTO tribunals to finally succeed in vindicating Canada (and still the USA tried to carry on regardless, giving in only when the prospect of economic sanctions/retaliation loomed large with the blessing of the WTO).

I forgot about one of the longest standing and most acrimonious quarrels between Canada and the US, namely the softwood lumber dispute (economic value in the billions of dollars annually), which has been writhing around in the foreground and/or smoldering in the background for over 3 decades (ie, since the time of Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau — yes, Justin's father — and President Ronald Reagan).

It is bound to be raised at the state dinner for Justin Trudeau at the White House later this week. A slightly dated discussion may be found in Canada's softwood lumber rematch with US awaits Trudeau. You may also check this out in Wikipedia under Canada–United States softwood lumber dispute or just Google it.

Page 7 of 40 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard