for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
Virtual1 #39215 03/02/16 02:16 PM

Do other countries that have many parties use alternative voting?

Virtual1 #39216 03/02/16 02:58 PM

Quote:
...what amazes me is I haven't heard anyone drop out yet.

You mean aside from Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Rand Paul, Rick Santorum, Bobby Jindal, Lindsey Graham, Mike Huckabee, George Pataki, Carly Fiorina, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, and Martin O'Malley?

Oops! And Jim Webb.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 03/02/16 02:59 PM. Reason: addition

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Virtual1 #39217 03/02/16 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
What we need, but will probably never get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Do other countries that have many parties use alternative voting?

In Canada, we're on the way to throwing out First Past the Post ballots. This, from the election platform of our newly elected federal government:

"We will make every vote count.

We are committed to ensuring that 2015 will be the last federal election conducted under the first-past-the-post voting system.

We will convene an all-party Parliamentary committee to review a wide variety of reforms, such as ranked ballots, proportional representation, mandatory voting, and online voting.

This committee will deliver its recommendations to Parliament. Within 18 months of forming government, we will introduce legislation to enact electoral reform."

Yay.

Last edited by ryck; 03/02/16 03:14 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Virtual1 #39218 03/02/16 03:24 PM

….it looks like Trump and Clinton steamrolled SuperTuesday...

Coming up on the other side of things I've said in this thread, I was trying to think if it was possible to have any silver lining in a Trump election victory.

I wonder if it's possible that a candidate, who states a commitment for change from the status quo, could get the Republican Party disconnected from the clutches of the Koch brothers. That would be good for both the Republicans and America.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39220 03/02/16 04:30 PM

it's too bad inline images don't work... it's worth your click

http://blacksheepzart.com/resources/vote%20cthulhu.jpg

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #39221 03/02/16 04:31 PM

Face it! America is well on its way to becoming a pariah state.
It augurs well for foreign incarnations of Disney World and Disneyland.
Who gives a flying fig* for the good ol' US of A (other than members of FTM)?! After the next election let 'em stew in their own fecal juices.
[* Look up the figurative/derogatory sense of "fig" in virtually every other language than English (eg, фигл смаслом).]

grelber #39222 03/02/16 05:16 PM
Banned
Banned

Well, it looks like both Cruz and Rubio will stay in a little while longer. Rubio got his first victory in Minnesota, and the Florida primary election is 13 days away, Tuesday, March 15th. Here's the actual schedule:

http://www.uspresidentialelectionnews.com/2016-presidential-primary-schedule-calendar/

Cruz won Texas and Oklahoma, but that was expected. But, I still expect to see Trump getting more wins (there are a number of other ones on March 13th).

grelber #39223 03/02/16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Who gives a flying fig* for the good ol' US of A (other than members of FTM)?!

Really? To start…off the top of my head I'd suggest the 10's of 1,000s of Canadians whose livelihoods rely on the nearly $700 billion dollars in trade we do with Americans.

And, when it comes to neighbours, I'm sure many Canadians would rather have the U.S. than Russia, Saudi Arabia or any number of less than desirable countries next door. We have a long and envied history of peaceful coexistence that, in my mind, is worth a lot.

Last edited by ryck; 03/02/16 05:27 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Virtual1 #39225 03/02/16 05:43 PM

wel it looks like Trump and Clinton steamrolled SuperTuesday.... what amazes me is I haven't heard anyone drop out yet. Makes me wonder just how many people we're going to have on the presidential ballot this year? And what percentage of the popular vote the winner will get? There's a very good chance this year of the president being elected with the lowest ever percentage of the popular vote.

Remember that each major party will have only one nominee, regardless of how many live through the primaries.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #39227 03/02/16 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Who gives a flying fig* for the good ol' US of A (other than members of FTM)?!

Really? To start… off the top of my head I'd suggest the 10's of 1,000s of Canadians whose livelihoods rely on the nearly $700 billion dollars in trade we do with Americans.

Makes me no nevermind. When the TPP (Trans-Pacific Partnership) comes into effect, even more will be employed.

Quote:
And, when it comes to neighbours, I'm sure many Canadians would rather have the U.S. than Russia, Saudi Arabia or any number of less than desirable countries next door. We have a long and envied history of peaceful coexistence that, in my mind, is worth a lot.

That's pretty much irrelevant since one can't change physical neighbors. As the Germans say: Quatsch! "Peaceful coexistence" is a convenient fiction which only exists because the "800-pound gorilla in the room" deems it acceptable for the moment. The days of Laura Secord are long since gone. Just remember what happened with the Avro Arrow and national pride.

Last edited by grelber; 03/02/16 07:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Ira L #39229 03/02/16 07:26 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: Ira L
wel it looks like Trump and Clinton steamrolled SuperTuesday.... what amazes me is I haven't heard anyone drop out yet. Makes me wonder just how many people we're going to have on the presidential ballot this year? And what percentage of the popular vote the winner will get? There's a very good chance this year of the president being elected with the lowest ever percentage of the popular vote.

Remember that each major party will have only one nominee, regardless of how many live through the primaries.

Yes, that is valid. And, at this point, it is looking more and more like the nominees will be Donald Trump for the Republican Party, and Hillary Clinton for the Democratic Party.

grelber #39230 03/02/16 07:31 PM

"Peaceful coexistence" is a convenient fiction which only exists because the "800-pound gorilla in the room" deems it acceptable for the moment.

200 years of neighbourly conduct and the longest undefended border in the world is neither fictional nor momentary.

Just remember what happened with the Avro Arrow and national pride.

I have no idea what that means, relative to our relationship with the U.S. The demise of the Avro Arrow is directly attributable to the actions of a petulant Conservative Prime Minister.

And, national pride? I don't understand what that has to do with having the U.S. as a neighbour. I'm sure there are some who are not proud to be Canadian (for whatever reason) but I am more sure that the naysayers are vastly outnumbered by those who believe in Canada.

Last edited by ryck; 03/02/16 07:36 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39231 03/02/16 07:39 PM

How do I unsubscribe from this string? My mailbox is filling up too fast!!!

ryck #39233 03/02/16 08:08 PM

"Peaceful coexistence" is a convenient fiction which only exists because the "800-pound gorilla in the room" deems it acceptable for the moment.

200 years of neighbourly conduct and the longest undefended border in the world is neither fictional nor momentary.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Most recently (and for years) COOL (country of origin labeling), which cost the Canadian economy billions of dollars. It took years of fighting for the WTO tribunals to finally succeed in vindicating Canada (and still the USA tried to carry on regardless, giving in only when the prospect of economic sanctions/retaliation loomed large with the blessing of the WTO).

Just remember what happened with the Avro Arrow and national pride.

I have no idea what that means, relative to our relationship with the U.S. The demise of the Avro Arrow is directly attributable to the actions of a petulant Conservative Prime Minister.
And, national pride? I don't understand what that has to do with having the U.S. as a neighbour. I'm sure there are some who are not proud to be Canadian (for whatever reason) but I am more sure that the naysayers are vastly outnumbered by those who believe in Canada.

Patent nonsense and/or revisionist history.
JFK bullied Diefenbaker — and I've never forgiven The Chief for kowtowing — into burying the Avro Arrow in exchange for "protection" by American ICBMs. The Arrow was the most advanced jet fighter/interceptor of the day — and the Americans didn't like the competition at all. Think military-industrial complex. The written record is extremely clear on this.

slolerner #39234 03/02/16 08:11 PM
Banned
Banned

Solicitations from The Donald, Hillary, or both?

grelber #39235 03/02/16 10:31 PM

JFK bullied Diefenbaker — and I've never forgiven The Chief for kowtowing — into burying the Avro Arrow in exchange for "protection" by American ICBMs.

To use your words: Patent nonsense and/or revisionist history.

The Avro Arrow program was cancelled in February 1959, two years before JFK became President.

Last edited by ryck; 03/02/16 10:34 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39237 03/02/16 11:58 PM

JFK bullied Diefenbaker — and I've never forgiven The Chief for kowtowing — into burying the Avro Arrow in exchange for "protection" by American ICBMs.

To use your words: Patent nonsense and/or revisionist history.

The Avro Arrow program was cancelled in February 1959, two years before JFK became President.

You're absolutely right! blush blush blush I may be conflating/confusing that with the Cuban missile crisis of 1962.
(My only possible excuse is that the whole political moose-mess south of the border really throws me for a loop and fratzes my neurons.

That particular blame can be laid properly on Ike's doorstep — Ike, of course, being coiner and doom-crier vis-à-vis "the military-industrial complex".
JFK and Dief had one of the more guarded "friendly" state relationships in modern history (ie, they despised each other).

EDIT — Here's a quote that might be a good choice for candidates in the current US fracas:
"I don't campaign. I just visit with the people."
— John G. Diefenbaker (during a 1965 campaign picnic)

EDIT — Interesting side note: there's an exhibit at the Diefenbaker Canada Centre (at the University of Saskatchewan) which has a 1960's telephone which when the receiver is lifted plays a 'cordial' call between Kennedy and Diefenbaker at the inauguration ceremony for the Canada-Alaska Microwave System in 1961.

By the bye, Cape Breton's latest advertising campaign to lure settlers from south of the border is getting extensive news media coverage lately. 'Tis a lovely place.

All that said, I think it's time for a long warm bath with maybe a little aroma therapy. smirk

Last edited by grelber; 03/03/16 04:14 PM. Reason: addition and correction
honestone #39238 03/02/16 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: honestone

Solicitations from The Donald, Hillary, or both?

I knew after 'Super Tuesday the FTM new posts would be fast and furious.

Virtual1 #39239 03/03/16 12:19 AM

I've already decided to vote for this well-qualified candidate and I refuse to be sweet-talked out of my decision by some sleezy pol.

dkmarsh #39240 03/03/16 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
...what amazes me is I haven't heard anyone drop out yet.

You mean aside from Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Rand Paul, Rick Santorum, Bobby Jindal, Lindsey Graham, Mike Huckabee, George Pataki, Carly Fiorina, Chris Christie, Jeb Bush, and Martin O'Malley?

Oops! And Jim Webb.

Technical question….everyone who dropped out so far did so without having won any support. If Rubio drops out, what happens to his 116 delegates?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39241 03/03/16 12:46 AM

They're pledged to him for the first ballot at the convention. Should a second ballot be necessary, expect all hell to break loose. (I wonder if Trump's troopers will be clubbing lame-duck delegates into submission with folding chairs?)

BTW, Paul, Huckabee, and Fiorina have 1 delegate each, and Jeb Bush has 4. The latter raised over $100 million for his campaign. Twenty-five million dollars per delegate! Good thing he's not going to be setting fiscal policy.

Last edited by dkmarsh; 03/03/16 12:51 AM. Reason: Addition

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #39245 03/03/16 04:09 PM

Thanks for that.

Interesting TV this morning, watching the Republican party roll out Mitt Romney with a major volley to disrupt the Trump momentum. The party's old guard is clearly very frightened….even pushing the guy, who a while ago they all professed disdain for, Ted Cruz.

It may come down to a choice between tents - the Circus tent or the Revivalist Meeting tent. Meanwhile, Hillary smiles.

Last edited by ryck; 03/03/16 04:11 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39248 03/03/16 05:16 PM

It may come down to a choice between tents - the Circus tent or the Revivalist Meeting tent. Meanwhile, Hillary smiles.

It is not how many voters does a candidate appeal to, rather how many voters has the candidate NOT offended.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
slolerner #39249 03/03/16 05:24 PM
Banned
Banned

I've already decided to vote for this well-qualified candidate and I refuse to be sweet-talked out of my decision by some sleezy pol.

Here's the guy we need:

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Saul-Goodman-in-his-office.jpg

Yeah, Saul Goodman for President!

honestone #39251 03/03/16 07:52 PM

S'aul Good, man.

Page 6 of 40 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard