for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Forced to downgrade from El Capitan
#39203 03/01/16 12:46 PM
OP Offline

Since Panther, I have been in the habit of waiting until the third system upgrade before taking the plunge into the next big thing. I loved Snow Leopard and resisted until the browsers became obsolete before upgrading. I have found Yosemite to be as dependable as Snow Leopard, only losing Adobe GoLive along the migration path.

Yesterday, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to El Capitan. The installer I downloaded months ago when 10.11.0 was introduced would no longer launch. Corrupted, it said, go to the App Store. A workaround was required to download the latest installer to a machine that, I was assured, already had the download.

The latest installer is 10.11.3, so no need for the combo updater. The installer did its thing and I opened and closed every application I could find. Adobe CS5 Illustrator crashed upon close. A quick search revealed many people complaining about Illustrator CS5/5.5 and 6 crashing. Specifically, if you used the eyedropper on a gradient. I created a gradient, sampled the gradient with the eyedropper and BANG.

Various solutions were offered: reset the preferences, reinstall the application, but nothing solved this specific issue.

So, pay monthly for Adobe Cloud or...

I cloned my system back to Yosemite. I'll experiment with 10.11.4, but my guess is I'll be staying with Yosemite until I am forced to buy a new computer.

I don't know if your experiences are different?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Forced to downgrade from El Capitan
freelance #39204 03/01/16 12:59 PM

10.11.3 has been very stable for me. The only Adobe app that I use is Photoshop CS5, which requires Java 6. The OS offered to install it when I upgraded from Yosemite and I haven't had any issues with the latest version of El Cap. There were USB problems with 10.11.2 but the latest update seems to have fixed them. Right now, El Cap seems as stable as Snowy (my gold standard).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
freelance #39205 03/01/16 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
I cloned my system back to Yosemite. I'll experiment with 10.11.4, but my guess is I'll be staying with Yosemite until I am forced to buy a new computer

Aren't you really saying that you need to wait until Adobe fixes its problem? There is no guarantee that a future 10.11.4 will resolve a problem with software from Adobe. Has Adobe acknowledged the problem and stated a reason?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #39206 03/01/16 05:53 PM
OP Offline

That would be ideal, but I've read on Apple discussion fora that Adobe and Apple are no longer supporting CS5, 5.5 or 6. Believe me, it's no hardship to stick with Yosemite – even though I seldom use Illustrator these days, mainly relying on Photoshop like Jon. Or InDesign, Bridge and Acrobat Pro – all of which seemed to operate fine in EC.

I still keep a Snow Leopard partition for when I need to update my website with GoLive. I have Dreamweaver CS3 (and a hard copy manual) and can't be arsed to learn it. The only reason Snow Leopard seems slower is because it's on a spinner instead of SSD. I think I'm going to move it to the SSD that currently houses EC.

PS. another Adobe fiasco: when they bought GoLive, they kept it alive until they bought Dreamweaver. They released an extension/app that would import legacy GoLive sites and move them to Dreamweaver. The only problem is it only works on CS5.5. Do you think I could find/buy an update to CS5? You can't even find 6 on disc, unless I'm not looking in the right places. Windows, yes, Mac no.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #39207 03/01/16 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
... Do you think I could find/buy an update to CS5? You can't even find [CS]6 on disc, ... Windows, yes, Mac no.

Strange. A colleague of mine has it on disk (albeit vintage 2013), so you might have to beat the bushes to come up with it.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard