Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mac Maintenance Work Flow
MacManiac #39152 02/27/16 09:41 PM
Banned
Banned

Thanks for your insights/comments, MacManiac. For Onyx, it looks like Titanium Software "recently" went to specific versions of Onyx for specific versions of the Mac OS:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/onyx.html

I have no idea what would happen if I, for example, downloaded V 3.0.1 of Onyx, and tried to use it, given that I am now running El Capitan. I don't want to try!

Also, I took a previous item you pointed out to test. I just completed my weekly maintenance tasks, and I just re-booted my MacBook Air from the just completed SuperDuper! backup (was the second one). Although somewhat slow, it did eventually complete booting successfully from that just made backup/clone. So, at least one of them is fine. (I'll try the one for my MacMini soon, as I am entering this post on it).

I still want to look at purchasing a Samsung 512 gig SSD (not sure if it will be an 850 EVO model, or an 850 Pro model) to place in an external case for my backups. Once again, though, I still need to find such a case with a Firewire 800 connector. I'm assuming such a combination, instead of my present hardware for that (a Firewire 800 connection, but a 7200 rpm Seagate HDD), would be faster.

The booting of the Mini from the most recent SuperDuper! backup also worked, although once agin, it was somewhat slow. (Edited for that additional comment)

Last edited by honestone; 02/27/16 10:51 PM.
honestone #39154 02/27/16 11:26 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what would happen if I, for example, downloaded V 3.0.1 of Onyx, and tried to use it, given that I am now running El Capitan. I don't want to try!
Whenever I have upgraded to a major OS (e.g. from Yosemite to El Cap), the old version of OnyX has refused to open, saying that it is not compatible. I assume that the same would happen if you downloaded an older version.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #39155 02/27/16 11:55 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Quote:
Whenever I have upgraded to a major OS (e.g. from Yosemite to El Cap), the old version of OnyX has refused to open, saying that it is not compatible. I assume that the same would happen if you downloaded an older version.

Yes, that makes sense. As it is, before I upgrade from one OS to the next one, I already know that at least 5 of my critical applications need to be compatible with the new OS, or else I will wait for upgrades to such software. That is exactly what happened prior to El Capitan coming out. 1Password, Office 2011, SuperDuper!, and Onyx had updates for El Capitan compatibility prior to the release of OS 10.11, and for TechTool Pro, it was shortly after OS 10.11 was released. It was a couple of weeks later that I upgraded from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1.

I have read of some "rare" instances of software that needed updates within releases of an OS. Fortunately, I have never needed to do that. But, it could be something to be aware of. In fact, I can't remember any such need to "mainstream" third party apps like 1Password, SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner, Onyx, etc. The recent one for TechTool Pro was somewhat rare, although as MacManiac previously pointed out:

"As I recall, MicroMat was burned pretty badly several years ago when one of the functions in an earlier version of TechTool Pro (that had worked in testing against the pre-release beta of the OS) played havoc with the final release due to some last-minute adjustments that Apple made to the final version...."

I certainly sensed that while reading the TechTool discussion regarding El Capitan compatibility of TechTool Pro. Prior to the official release of V8.0.3, the Micromat participant in the discussion mentioned quite a few times about insuring TechTool Pro would be compatible with OS 10.11. I guess I took a little risk by moving to OS 10.11.1 after V8.0.3 of TechTool Pro came out, even though it was "only" certified" with OS 10.11 (same was true, of course, with the other apps I use). And, in fact, and knock on wood, things have been fine for 10.11.2 and 10.11.3. 10.11.4 has been in beta testing for quite a while, and I have not seen anything regarding third party product compatibility and OS 10.11.4.

Of course, I insure to apply each update for any of my apps that come out right away, so that I am current.

Last edited by honestone; 02/27/16 11:59 PM.
honestone #39156 02/28/16 12:01 AM

Quote:
I still want to look at purchasing a Samsung 512 gig SSD (not sure if it will be an 850 EVO model, or an 850 Pro model) to place in an external case for my backups. Once again, though, I still need to find such a case with a Firewire 800 connector. I'm assuming such a combination, instead of my present hardware for that (a Firewire 800 connection, but a 7200 rpm Seagate HDD), would be faster.
If you have the cash and a Thunderbolt port, buy a Thunderbolt dock for your hard drive. The combination of TB and SSD can't be beat.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #39157 02/28/16 12:55 AM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Quote:
If you have the cash and a Thunderbolt port, buy a Thunderbolt dock for your hard drive. The combination of TB and SSD can't be beat.

For my MacMini, the connection is via direct Firewire 800. The backups themselves actually are speedy enough. For my MacBook Air, I have a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter, and again, the backups are fast. My MacMini does not have a Thunderbolt port, so I'd have to purchase another adapter that would be the reverse of the one I have. And, in actuality, except for keeping one of the old external drives with the Firewire 800 interface (I would sell the other one), that is the only reason I would need the current adapter I have.

Ideally, I would like a slim, external 2.5" enclosure (like the one I have now for another drive I had inside my Mac Mini) that has a Firewire800 port. But, if such a device has a Thunderbolt port, and is not too expensive, I would consider it (again, though, I would need another adapter so I could use it for backing up my Mac Mini).

Last edited by honestone; 02/28/16 12:57 AM.
honestone #39158 02/28/16 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By: honestone
For my MacBook Air, I have a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter, and again, the backups are fast. My MacMini does not have a Thunderbolt port, so I'd have to purchase another adapter that would be the reverse of the one I have. (Emphasis added)

To the best of my knowledge there ain't no such animal.

Apple's Thunderbolt FireWire adapter is a one-way connector

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
honestone #39159 02/28/16 10:26 AM

Quote:
My MacMini does not have a Thunderbolt port...

You might want to take another look at the back of your mini:

sp659_mac_mini-late2012-connections.jpg

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
honestone #39161 02/28/16 04:12 PM

Permission repair in OnyX, TechTool Pro, TinkerTool System, MacPilot and a number of other utilities all rely the same Unix command line function with only minor tweaking of the output display. Since Apple has deprecated that functionality the underlying UNIX command will eventually be removed from OS X and most likely support for the library files permission repair is dependent upon to know the correct settings (hat information isn't there for App Store and drag and drop installed applications already). At that point the functionality will have to disappear from the OnyX Et. Al..

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #39162 02/28/16 04:32 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: artie505
For my MacBook Air, I have a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 adapter, and again, the backups are fast. My MacMini does not have a Thunderbolt port, so I'd have to purchase another adapter that would be the reverse of the one I have. (Emphasis added)

To the best of my knowledge there ain't no such animal.

Apple's Thunderbolt FireWire adapter is a one-way connector

Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be the case. It was wishful thinking on my part.

dkmarsh #39163 02/28/16 04:34 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
My MacMini does not have a Thunderbolt port...

You might want to take another look at the back of your mini:

sp659_mac_mini-late2012-connections.jpg

Duh! Why did I not see that Thunderbolt port? I swear I have not been drinking! cool cool

Thanks for that.

joemikeb #39165 02/28/16 05:10 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Permission repair in OnyX, TechTool Pro, TinkerTool System, MacPilot and a number of other utilities all rely the same Unix command line function with only minor tweaking of the output display. Since Apple has deprecated that functionality the underlying UNIX command will eventually be removed from OS X and most likely support for the library files permission repair is dependent upon to know the correct settings (hat information isn't there for App Store and drag and drop installed applications already). At that point the functionality will have to disappear from the OnyX Et. Al..

Yeah, I have read about/heard that before, regarding the fact that such products all use identical same Unix command line function.

I also hope that even if Apple "deprecates" such functionality more and more, that there could exist other ways to accomplish the same thing that those utilities are now doing. But, I suspect you are correct, and that such functions as Repair Permissions will "go the way of the dodo".

honestone #39166 02/28/16 07:32 PM

I swear I have not been drinking!

And why not?! tongue

I find that a nice glass of tempranillo or shiraz or cabernet or ... definitely improves the vicissitudes of daily life. wink

grelber #39167 02/28/16 10:10 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: grelber
I swear I have not been drinking!

And why not?! tongue

I find that a nice glass of tempranillo or shiraz or cabernet or ... definitely improves the vicissitudes of daily life. wink

Ha Ha! My wife actually makes excellent red wine from the blackberries we pick in late summer, and it is WAY better than any of the stuff sold in stores. I drink one glass of it with dinner. In fact, I have been doing that for about 5 years now, and I suspect it is a contributing factor as to why I am still in very good health (besides exercise and eating sensibly, and healthy food. My wife is a superior cook, and I am not the only person who says that). wink smirk

Last September, I found a place close to where we live where I picked sweet, ripe green grapes. Once again, my clever wife made wine from it, but it is fermenting as I write this. I suspect we will be able to have some in a couple of months, and I truly expect it to taste wonderful! cool smile

I plan on also picking more blackberries and grapes this summer. Besides being out in the fresh air, it is excellent exercise! In fact, with spring forward two weeks away, I will start switching my exercise regimen from swimming to hiking towards the latter part of March. I can't wait! grin

Last edited by honestone; 02/28/16 10:17 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard