Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: RAM and Force Quit problems
plantsower #3914 09/17/09 05:18 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
Your link didn't work.

Thanks. I fixed the link in the original post.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Virtual1 #3915 09/17/09 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Now you're going to cause me to have to dig around and find my KillOWatt meter and stuff.

I'd also point out the third perspective of only sleeping the display, to avoid the repetitive cooldown-warmup of either sleep or shutdown that ages electronics. wink

Also from your provided link,

The surge of power when a computer is turned off lasts a few seconds and is insignificant compared to the sustained energy used in keeping it on during periods of inactivity.

They're not comparing it with sleep, but with leaving it awake.

Check out some of the other links in the google results. They also go into comparing it to sleep mode as well. Sleep mode still uses a few watts that turning it off does not. Sleep mode is more efficient as you leave and come back to your computer throughout the day, but for long periods of no use, it's recommended to turn off the computer if you want to save more power.

As to the cooldown-warmup aging electronics, I refer to energystar.gov's response:

Quote:
3. Do computers and monitors use more energy with power management features activated due to power surges when cycling on and off?

A popular myth holds that leaving lights, computers, and other appliances on uses less energy than turning them off and also makes them last longer. In reality, the small surge of power created when some devices are turned on is vastly smaller than the energy used by running the device when it is not needed.

Source: "Eleven Energy Myths: From Efficient Halogen Lights to Cleaning Refrigerator Coils", Lawrence Berkeley National Labs

4. Can sleep features wear out hardware by forcing the computer to turn on and off several times a day?

"Modern computers are designed to handle 40,000 on-off cycles before failure, and you're not likely to approach that number during the average computer's five- to seven-year life span. In fact, IBM and Hewlett Packard encourage their own employees to turn off idle computers, and some studies indicate it would require on-off cycling every five minutes to harm a hard drive."

Source: Rocky Mountain Institute Home Energy Brief #7 Computers and Peripherals.

"The belief that frequent shutdowns are harmful persists from the days when hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off; frequent on-off cycling could damage such hard disks. Conventional wisdom, however, has not kept pace with the rapid technological change in the computer industry. Modern hard disks are not significantly affected by frequent shutdowns."

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #3936 09/17/09 04:08 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Kevin. I'm convinced. I just turned off my screensaver, too. Thanks for your interest in helping with this problem. Rita

Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Now you're going to cause me to have to dig around and find my KillOWatt meter and stuff.

I'd also point out the third perspective of only sleeping the display, to avoid the repetitive cooldown-warmup of either sleep or shutdown that ages electronics. wink

Also from your provided link,

The surge of power when a computer is turned off lasts a few seconds and is insignificant compared to the sustained energy used in keeping it on during periods of inactivity.

They're not comparing it with sleep, but with leaving it awake.

Check out some of the other links in the google results. They also go into comparing it to sleep mode as well. Sleep mode still uses a few watts that turning it off does not. Sleep mode is more efficient as you leave and come back to your computer throughout the day, but for long periods of no use, it's recommended to turn off the computer if you want to save more power.

As to the cooldown-warmup aging electronics, I refer to energystar.gov's response:

Quote:
3. Do computers and monitors use more energy with power management features activated due to power surges when cycling on and off?

A popular myth holds that leaving lights, computers, and other appliances on uses less energy than turning them off and also makes them last longer. In reality, the small surge of power created when some devices are turned on is vastly smaller than the energy used by running the device when it is not needed.

Source: "Eleven Energy Myths: From Efficient Halogen Lights to Cleaning Refrigerator Coils", Lawrence Berkeley National Labs

4. Can sleep features wear out hardware by forcing the computer to turn on and off several times a day?

"Modern computers are designed to handle 40,000 on-off cycles before failure, and you're not likely to approach that number during the average computer's five- to seven-year life span. In fact, IBM and Hewlett Packard encourage their own employees to turn off idle computers, and some studies indicate it would require on-off cycling every five minutes to harm a hard drive."

Source: Rocky Mountain Institute Home Energy Brief #7 Computers and Peripherals.

"The belief that frequent shutdowns are harmful persists from the days when hard disks did not automatically park their heads when shut off; frequent on-off cycling could damage such hard disks. Conventional wisdom, however, has not kept pace with the rapid technological change in the computer industry. Modern hard disks are not significantly affected by frequent shutdowns."

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard