Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAM and Force Quit problems
#3654 09/14/09 01:12 AM
OP Offline

Hi:

Wow, this feels more like home. Thanks for the heads up, Jonathan!!

I have 512 mb of RAM on my ibook G4. Lately something is eating it up. I looked on the Activity Monitor and couldn't see anything different. Now when I open more than one page on a website, the RAM goes down to about 29 mb. and then the site freezes with the little rainbow pinwheel spinning. I can't get it to stop with the Apple/period technique.

Also, I have over 3 gigs of virtual memory but it's looks like it's not being tapped into so that I don't run out of RAM.

Any suggestions?

OK, I don't know if this really does have anything to do with my RAM issue but since I left the above message, I have had to Force Quit Safari at least twice. I'm having to Force Quit very often now. Does anyone know why I would have to be doing this all of a sudden? It's happening on sites I frequent and have never had problems with before. I would appreciate any input. I've emptied my cache and cookies. I already trashed the stuff in my Safari folder minus the booklist plist. Any other ideas? I've run Disk Utility and Tool Tech Delux and a virus scanner (ClamXav). I don't know what to do next.

Thanks in advance. confused

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: RAM and Force Quit problems
plantsower #3661 09/14/09 04:20 AM

Welcome, Rita!
I just parted ways with the same computer and never experienced this behavior. I wonder if this is not a sign of some system problem. First, several questions. 1. What is your OS version? 2. Does this behavior occur in other browsers? 3. Did you try to make a new account in system prefs>accounts and try Safari there? When you say you used Disk Utility, did you verify disk or just repaired permissions? You might have some directory issue making the computer slow or unresponsive. But this would be caught by Disk Utility if you opted to verify disk. Did TechTool verify the SMART status and was it OK?
Please tell us how it goes.

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/14/09 04:22 AM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
macnerd10 #3665 09/14/09 06:06 AM
OP Offline

Hi:

Thanks for answering me.

1. My Mac OS Version is X. I use Safari 3.2.1 and Tiger 10.4.7.

2. I don't have any other browsers. I didn't want to clog up my memory.
I tried iCab for awhile but it had too many errors. I think I tried Opera awhile back but I got rid of both of them. I don't want to download Firefox I have to.

3. I didn't make a new account and try Safari there. I never thought of that.

4. I verified and repaired permissions. Geez, I don't know if Tech Tool verified SMART status. I'll have to try that again. OK, redid TechTool. I could not find a smart Status anywhere. What is that?

I thought I'd send my crash log to see if this gives someone a clue. I don't know how to read it. Here goes:

Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)
2009-09-13 17:15:32 -0700
2009-09-13 17:15:37.401 System Events[97] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
/Users/ritamontague/Library/Autosave Information/com.apple.systemevents.plist
The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
2009-09-13 17:15:37.588 System Events[97] CFLog (0):
CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
2009-09-13 17:15:37.751 System Events[97] CFLog (0):
2009-09-13 17:15:39.410 SystemUIServer[84] lang is:en
Sep 13 17:15:42 Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-0014519904F4” instead
2009-09-13 17:31:19.828 SystemUIServer[84] Error: Unable to get extended status.
Sep 13 17:31:22 Macintosh /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
InternalModemSupport.kext/Contents/Resources/AppleModemOnHold.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleModemOnHold: MOHServiceAddedProc >>\n
2009-09-13 17:31:47.408 SystemUIServer[84] Error: Unable to get extended status.
2009-09-13 17:31:49.256 SystemUIServer[84] Error: Unable to get extended status.
2009-09-13 17:31:49.634 SystemUIServer[84] Error: Unable to get extended status.
Sep 13 17:31:51 Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-0014519904F4” instead
Sep 13 17:34:00 Macintosh crashdump[224]: Safari crashed
Sep 13 17:34:02 Macintosh crashdump[224]: crash report written to: /Users/ritamontague/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Safari.crash.log
Sep 13 17:38:26 Macintosh crashdump[251]: ??? crashed
Sep 13 17:38:26 Macintosh crashdump[251]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/???.crash.log
Sep 13 17:49:13 Macintosh /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari: *** Warning: Line option kATSLineIsDisplayOnly has been deprecated. ***
Sep 13 17:51:49 Macintosh crashdump[256]: ??? crashed
Sep 13 17:51:49 Macintosh crashdump[256]: crash report written to: /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/???.crash.log

Last edited by dianne; 09/14/09 10:53 AM. Reason: inserted hard return to reduce stretched page in Safari.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #3666 09/14/09 06:54 AM

Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

> Also, I have over 3 gigs of virtual memory but it's looks like it's not being tapped into so that I don't run out of RAM.

Huh?

You're either misreading or misunderstanding something...

Please clarify which app or interface is displaying that 3Gb virtual memory figure.

> I could not find a smart Status anywhere. What is that?

Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select the topmost item, i.e. your HD, and look to the bottom right of your screen for your S.M.A.R.T. status; if it's other than "verified" your HD is on its way south.

Last edited by artie505; 09/14/09 06:58 AM. Reason: S.M.A.R.T.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #3673 09/14/09 10:30 AM

Welcome home, Rita! cool

Quote:
OK, redid TechTool. I could not find a smart Status anywhere. What is that?
SMART stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology. I don't use TechTool Deluxe but you can check SMART with Disk Utility. Launch DU and select the physical hard drive (the first icon, not any partitions, which will be indented). SMART status will show at the bottom of the DU window. If it says anything other than "verified", the hard drive is failing and must be replaced. If SMART is verified, this is a good sign but not an absolute guarantee that the drive is good.

Good luck with solving this. I'm sure that one of the gurus will be able to help.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
plantsower #3685 09/14/09 05:46 PM

512 MB of RAM really isn't enough. Safari needs a lot of RAM; with only 512 MB, I'd expect very slow performance.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #3690 09/14/09 06:07 PM

I had the same RAM on my old PB G4 and never had any significant problem with browsers. Maybe she needs to first update the OS X to 10.4.11 with a combo updater. I would still try any other browser like Firefox. I had six browsers on a similar computer and they worked fine. It may be just a Safari problem, right?

I would also try to trash the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist found in users>your name>library>preferences and see if this helps.

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/14/09 06:11 PM.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
artie505 #3692 09/14/09 06:13 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

> Also, I have over 3 gigs of virtual memory but it's looks like it's not being tapped into so that I don't run out of RAM.
[color:#FF0000][/color]I was looking at the activity monitor to find out how much RAM I had left (which was teensy) and also it showed the 3 gigs of virtual memory available. So, I thought that should make up for the teensy RAM.

Huh?

You're either misreading or misunderstanding something...

Please clarify which app or interface is displaying that 3Gb virtual memory figure.

The Activity Monitor.

> I could not find a smart Status anywhere. What is that?

Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select the topmost item, i.e. your HD, and look to the bottom right of your screen for your S.M.A.R.T. status; if it's other than "verified" your HD is on its way south.

OK, I found it. It's VERIFIED on Disk Utility.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

jchuzi #3693 09/14/09 06:14 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. I hope so. I wish I could figure out how to make my reply look better with the quotes. smile Rita

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Welcome home, Rita! cool

Quote:
OK, redid TechTool. I could not find a smart Status anywhere. What is that?
SMART stands for Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology. I don't use TechTool Deluxe but you can check SMART with Disk Utility. Launch DU and select the physical hard drive (the first icon, not any partitions, which will be indented). SMART status will show at the bottom of the DU window. If it says anything other than "verified", the hard drive is failing and must be replaced. If SMART is verified, this is a good sign but not an absolute guarantee that the drive is good.

Good luck with solving this. I'm sure that one of the gurus will be able to help.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

tacit #3694 09/14/09 06:17 PM
OP Offline

I know that 512 isn't a lot nowadays but isn't that what virtual memory is for, to make up for it? That's what I read on the description of VM in my computer. I have lots of disk space left - 38 Gig out of 55 gigs. I don't need a lot so the rest should be fine. My computer runs slowly anyway because I have dialup. frown

Rita
\

Originally Posted By: tacit
512 MB of RAM really isn't enough. Safari needs a lot of RAM; with only 512 MB, I'd expect very slow performance.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #3695 09/14/09 06:47 PM

You are correct that one purpose of Virtual Memory is to allow the use of the disk drive to compensate, at least in part, for a lack of RAM. However that is at the cost of system speed since you can be almost continually rolling data out to the swapfiles and rolling instructions and data back in from the swapfiles and other files on the hard drive. You may have a dialup connection but insufficient RAM will slow your system even more.

I have a web page that explains Virtual Memory and will help interpret what you see in OS X's Activity Monitor. Given your dialup connection and small RAM memory, please be patient in viewing the page as there are a lot of graphics that will be loading. Just mouse over the different sections to see an explanation of what each means.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #3704 09/14/09 08:49 PM
OP Offline

OMG that was a great explanation of virtual memory and how to interpret the activity monitor. I saved it as a reference. Thank you!

Now I am just wondering, when the free RAM disappears (no green left), does the VM just take over but without showing more green free memory on the pie chart? Because the green disappears completely on my pie chart as the 512 of RAM is used up. Or is it not allocating, it and there is something wrong? I hope that made sense.

Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
You are correct that one purpose of Virtual Memory is to allow the use of the disk drive to compensate, at least in part, for a lack of RAM. However that is at the cost of system speed since you can be almost continually rolling data out to the swapfiles and rolling instructions and data back in from the swapfiles and other files on the hard drive. You may have a dialup connection but insufficient RAM will slow your system even more.

I have a web page that explains Virtual Memory and will help interpret what you see in OS X's Activity Monitor. Given your dialup connection and small RAM memory, please be patient in viewing the page as there are a lot of graphics that will be loading. Just mouse over the different sections to see an explanation of what each means.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #3706 09/14/09 09:31 PM

Thanks for those kind words. It is getting a bit long in the tooth as shown by the references only to PPC processors, but the principles are still valid.

The disappearance of the "green", Free Memory, simply means that all of the physical RAM has been Mapped into applications as either Wired, Active, or Inactive. At the point when there is insufficient free RAM for an active task, data in Inactive RAM will be written to the swapfile(s), ie "paged" out, and the RAM thus freed up plus any code or instructions in Inactive memory will be overwritten by code or data demanded by the active application(s). If there is insufficient Inactive RAM then an active application or task will have to be made inactive and paged out to memory. The algorithm used to determine which application is to be paged is generally based on least recently used and/or least often used but I do not know the specific algorithm used in OS X. In any case the next time the paged task(s) become active this process will have to be reversed and something else will be paged out so the reactivated task can be paged in.

The terms paged in and paged out refer to the fact both RAM and disk memory are not allocated or mapped on a byte by byte basis rather on a page by page basis where a page is 8 KB.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #3720 09/14/09 10:45 PM
OP Offline

Got it. Thank you. From that, I deduce that my freezing/quitting problem is not related to the RAM, or is it? Nah, nothing has changed and it never did this before. What a mystery. Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Thanks for those kind words. It is getting a bit long in the tooth as shown by the references only to PPC processors, but the principles are still valid.

The disappearance of the "green", Free Memory, simply means that all of the physical RAM has been Mapped into applications as either Wired, Active, or Inactive. At the point when there is insufficient free RAM for an active task, data in Inactive RAM will be written to the swapfile(s), ie "paged" out, and the RAM thus freed up plus any code or instructions in Inactive memory will be overwritten by code or data demanded by the active application(s). If there is insufficient Inactive RAM then an active application or task will have to be made inactive and paged out to memory. The algorithm used to determine which application is to be paged is generally based on least recently used and/or least often used but I do not know the specific algorithm used in OS X. In any case the next time the paged task(s) become active this process will have to be reversed and something else will be paged out so the reactivated task can be paged in.

The terms paged in and paged out refer to the fact both RAM and disk memory are not allocated or mapped on a byte by byte basis rather on a page by page basis where a page is 8 KB.

Last edited by plantsower; 09/14/09 10:47 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #3724 09/14/09 11:14 PM

Dear Rita,
Please download Firefox and check if you have the same problem. And did you ever trash the preference file (com.apple.systemuiserver.plist)? And, to make the full round, Safari preference file as well?
If you can, move away from dial-up. The DSL or cable basic rates are really cheap these days. You will have a whole new life with fast internet.
Good luck!

Alex
macnerd10 #3728 09/15/09 12:17 AM
OP Offline

Alex:

I had already trashed Safari Prefs. I just now trashed com.apple.systemuiserver.plist at your suggestion. I don't even know what that is.

I may download Firefox next time I go to town and use a wi-fi.

I live in a rural area and the only things available are dialup, Satellite and Air Cards. The Satellite is expensive. The Air card is expensive and will only work on one computer at a time. I've checked several times with AT&T and they told me I cannot get DSL where I am. Cable is not available either.

Believe me, I am pulling my hair out with the dialup but will have to wait on a faster internet, I guess.

If Safari isn't giving anyone else a problem, I don't think it is Safari. If I download Firefox and it happens again, I will let you know and we can go from there.

Thanks for all your help. I am hoping for the best.

Rita

Originally Posted By: macnerd10
Dear Rita,
Please download Firefox and check if you have the same problem. And did you ever trash the preference file (com.apple.systemuiserver.plist)? And, to make the full round, Safari preference file as well?
If you can, move away from dial-up. The DSL or cable basic rates are really cheap these days. You will have a whole new life with fast internet.
Good luck!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #3738 09/15/09 02:26 AM

Quote:
I am hoping for the best.

Me too!
The suggestion about SystemUIserver preference file was because in was invoked in the crash log. Hope I am not wrong about it; but it should be recreated on the next restart.

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/15/09 02:27 AM.

Alex
plantsower #3827 09/16/09 07:41 AM

Just to clarify why I asked about VM...

On the chance that you rarely or never restart your iBook (as is the habit of many Mac users), you should know that VM swap files are cleared when you restart, taking you back to square one where your Mac runs faster (at least for a while, anyhow).

Last edited by artie505; 09/16/09 07:42 AM. Reason: Add (comment)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #3858 09/16/09 06:30 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

I restart everyday. I used to leave my iBook on 24/7 but to save electricity, I now turn it off at night.

Originally Posted By: artie505
Just to clarify why I asked about VM...

On the chance that you rarely or never restart your iBook (as is the habit of many Mac users), you should know that VM swap files are cleared when you restart, taking you back to square one where your Mac runs faster (at least for a while, anyhow).

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #3879 09/16/09 09:53 PM

you're wasting more electricity by shutting it off.

The ibook uses less power than a digital clock when asleep, which is far less than the gulps of power required to shut down and reboot the computer once.
Plus saves time. Waking from sleep is a lot faster than booting.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #3885 09/16/09 10:16 PM
OP Offline

OK. I'll have to change my ways!!! smile Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

The ibook uses less power than a digital clock when asleep, which is far less than the gulps of power required to shut down and reboot the computer once.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #3899 09/17/09 01:33 AM

You do realize that's a myth your stating, right? The amount of electricity used in turning on and off a computer is insignificant compared to the savings of the computer being off for long periods like overnight. Sleep mode is good if you plan on getting back to the computer shortly, but if you're done for the day, don't feel bad about turning it off.

Here's a variety of google results that talk about the turn off/turn on and power savings myths.

Last edited by Kevin M. Dean; 09/17/09 05:17 AM. Reason: Fixed Google link

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
Kevin M. Dean #3905 09/17/09 02:06 AM

Now you're going to cause me to have to dig around and find my KillOWatt meter and stuff.

I'd also point out the third perspective of only sleeping the display, to avoid the repetitive cooldown-warmup of either sleep or shutdown that ages electronics. wink

Also from your provided link,

The surge of power when a computer is turned off lasts a few seconds and is insignificant compared to the sustained energy used in keeping it on during periods of inactivity.

They're not comparing it with sleep, but with leaving it awake.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #3907 09/17/09 02:39 AM
OP Offline

OK, when you guys get this sorted out, let me know. I've always wondered about the light bulb thing. Turn it off everytime you leave the room and deal with a power surge or what? I'm waiting for the verdict on the computer, sleep versus turning it off and on, etc. confused Rita

Now you're going to cause me to have to dig around and find my KillOWatt meter and stuff.

I'd also point out the third perspective of only sleeping the display, to avoid the repetitive cooldown-warmup of either sleep or shutdown that ages electronics. wink

Also from your provided link,

The surge of power when a computer is turned off lasts a few seconds and is insignificant compared to the sustained energy used in keeping it on during periods of inactivity.

They're not comparing it with sleep, but with leaving it awake.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Kevin M. Dean #3908 09/17/09 02:41 AM
OP Offline

Your link didn't work.

Originally Posted By: Kevin M. Dean

You do realize that's a myth your stating, right? The amount of electricity used in turning on and off a computer is insignificant compared to the savings of the computer being off for long periods like overnight. Sleep mode is good if you plan on getting back to the computer shortly, but if you're done for the day, don't feel bad about turning it off.
Here's a variety of google results that talk about the turn off/turn on and power savings myths.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard