FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
slolerner #38906 02/15/16 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Altogether, the New Frontier witnessed the passage of a broad range of important social and economic reforms.

How's that all workin' for ya? confused tongue

joemikeb #38907 02/15/16 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

There is no requirement, constitutional or otherwise, for a Supreme Court Justice to have a law degree or judicial experience.

There may be no official or Constitutional requirement or qualification for serving on the Supreme Court, but I venture to say that a backwoods yokel and reformed moonshiner with a first-grade education ain't gonna get the bid ... although in light of recent rulings it might be worth a shot. tongue

grelber #38909 02/15/16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Grelber
How's that all workin' for ya?

I get your point. My verbose list of accomplishments, between the War on Poverty and the New Frontier, was intended to put LBJ's record in office in perspective.

slolerner #38911 02/15/16 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
My verbose list of accomplishments, between the War on Poverty and the New Frontier, was intended to put LBJ's record in office in perspective.

Perspective is always a good idea. I'll rely on the words of Robert Dallek, author of "Flawed Giant: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1961-1973".

"Johnson was not content to simply embrace JFK's proposals. He successfully took up the cudgels for the voting rights, open housing, immigration reform, environmental protections, consumer safety bills, cabinet departments of transportation and housing and urban development, cultural reforms like the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities and the Freedom of Information Act. The War on Poverty also became part of his presidential legacy. Head Start, food stamps, elimination of urban slums, public housing, expanded social security, legal services and expanded welfare to needy citizens added up to an assault on poverty that reduced the percentage of Americans living in penury from roughly 23 percent to 12 percent. Although a number of Johnson's initiatives fell short of what he hoped they might accomplish, his domestic reforms added up to a record of liberal alterations that rivaled FDR's New Deal.

Moreover, Johnson's civil rights actions permanently transformed the South. They destroyed the long standing de jure and de facto traditions of racial segregation and opened the way to equal treatment of African Americans in every region of the country. Johnson himself believed that this was his greatest achievement. He was right. And his claim on presidential greatness here is served by the reality, which he glimpsed at the time, that his support of black equality would allow the Republican Party to eclipse his Democratic Party in his native Texas and across the rest of the South."

Last edited by ryck; 02/15/16 11:32 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #38912 02/16/16 01:21 AM

Thanks for the explanation. His administration seemed so chaotic, the progress so scattered.

ryck #38916 02/16/16 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
"... Johnson's civil rights actions permanently transformed the South. They destroyed the long standing de jure and de facto traditions of racial segregation and opened the way to equal treatment of African Americans in every region of the country. Johnson himself believed that this was his greatest achievement. He was right. And his claim on presidential greatness here is served by the reality, which he glimpsed at the time, that his support of black equality would allow the Republican Party to eclipse his Democratic Party in his native Texas and across the rest of the South."

A wild guess but I suspect that the folk in Ferguson MO (and several other communities) might have a bone to pick with that rosy view.

grelber #38921 02/16/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
A wild guess but I suspect that the folk in Ferguson MO (and several other communities) might have a bone to pick with that rosy view.

Maybe. Or they might lament that things have not worked out the way previous presidents intended.

President Johnson did open the way to equal treatment of African Americans in the United States. That is a fact and it remains a part of his legacy, which does not change because of current events.

If we can revise history based on current events, then I assume we'd have to downgrade the legacies of many presidents back to and before President Lincoln.

Last edited by ryck; 02/16/16 02:30 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39026 02/23/16 03:26 PM

When you think about it and examine history, it seems as though it's exclusively the far right cuckoos who engage in political assassination. That may be about to change.

grelber #39030 02/23/16 05:43 PM

Quote:
When you think about it and examine history, it seems as though it's exclusively the far right cuckoos who engage in political assassination.

I suppose it depends upon whether you think extreme right and extreme left lie at opposite ends of a line or at adjacent points on a circle. William McKinley, for example, was assassinated by an anarchist who aspired to pal around with Emma Goldman.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
grelber #39032 02/23/16 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
"... Johnson's civil rights actions permanently transformed the South. They destroyed the long standing de jure and de facto traditions of racial segregation and opened the way to equal treatment of African Americans in every region of the country. Johnson himself believed that this was his greatest achievement. He was right. And his claim on presidential greatness here is served by the reality, which he glimpsed at the time, that his support of black equality would allow the Republican Party to eclipse his Democratic Party in his native Texas and across the rest of the South."

There is no question that racism still exists. But racism is not exclusively a Southern phenomena, and pockets of virulent racism can be found almost anywhere in this country and in every county in the world. There used to be a truism that in the South people hated the race but loved the individual while in the North they loved the race but hated the individual. While serving in the military during the Vietnam conflict I ran into that often enough that I believed it to be true. I could tell several personal stories that would attest to that. Suffice it to say that in my experience the Southerners got along pretty well with one another, but the most blatant racism showed up among those from the North.

Living in Texas I can attest to the dramatic changes in race relations that have taken place since LBJ's presidency. Race relations are not perfect, but from where I sit, the nexus of conflict is most often cultural and economic and only coincidentally racial. Before LBJ become president Texas schools where separate but equal{/i] (more accurately [i]separate but and UNequal. Today they are fully integrated (and too often woefully underfunded but that is another subject). Before LBJ housing was racial segregated but now that segregation is very much economic. When i saw an older white security guard drinking coffee and chatting companionably with the young black woman manager of a Mississippi motel I knew the worm had turned. I live in a very heterogeneous area of Fort Worth and there are occasional hurt feelings and ill will, but most of those bumps are cultural and/or economic in nature, although it would be easy for a lazy headline writer to characterize them as racial.

It is part of the human condition those who perceive they have something to lose (the illusion of power and/or control) fear and resist change. That does not excuse the actions/reactions of the Ferguson, MO officials and police (or some of the wing nuts in the Texas legislature). Culture may be the most difficult change to make and some will never be able to do it. But, no one lives forever, and if you look closely at the racists in this country, their average age is increasing much faster than that of the general population. So hopefully racism will eventually die out or at least tamped down to a level society can tolerate. That kind of cultural change is measured not in years but generations.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
dkmarsh #39033 02/23/16 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
I suppose it depends upon whether you think extreme right and extreme left lie at opposite ends of a line or at adjacent points on a circle. William McKinley, for example, was assassinated by an anarchist who aspired to pal around with Emma Goldman.

True. Anarchists lie beyond the pale of generalization.

dkmarsh #39034 02/23/16 06:28 PM

I suppose it depends upon whether you think extreme right and extreme left lie at opposite ends of a line or at adjacent points on a circle.

Honest, cross my heart and spit in a circle, I am not trying to make a pun but….that is a great point.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39037 02/23/16 10:31 PM

"We always did feel the same. We just saw it from a different point of view."

—Bob Dylan, Tangled Up in Blue

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #39042 02/24/16 08:27 AM

Tromp win
crazy

America
-30-
frown

dkmarsh #39044 02/24/16 09:37 AM

"We always did feel the same. We just saw it from a different point of view."

—Bob Dylan, Tangled Up in Blue

"You've got a point there." (Yelled out by someone in the crowd when Oblio and Arrow return from the Pointless Forest.)

Harry Nilsson, The Point

Last edited by ryck; 02/24/16 09:40 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #39068 02/25/16 12:33 AM

Tromp win crazy

Tromp, excuse me? frown The real Tromp might have called Trump a 'blaaskaak'*, and could make it stick! shocked

*) = blowhard

alternaut moderator
alternaut #39069 02/25/16 01:10 AM

Or is grelber punning on trompe-l'Å“il?

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
Trompe-l'œil (French for "deceive the eye", pronounced [tʁɔ̃p lœj]) is an art technique that uses realistic imagery to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects exist in three dimensions.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39080 02/25/16 08:26 AM

Sure. Why not. smirk

grelber #39180 02/29/16 04:22 PM
Banned
Banned

If Trump wins all states tomorrow, then it is definite that it will be a race between Hillary and The Donald. Who do you want?

And, I just saw this on yahoo.com:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/0...ck-anyway.They/

First Christie, and now Cruz and Kasich (although not as definitive as Cruz).

Last edited by honestone; 02/29/16 04:33 PM.
honestone #39190 02/29/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: honestone
If Trump wins all states tomorrow, then it is definite that it will be a race between Hillary and The Donald. Who do you want?

I personally prefer Hillary to Donald, Sanders to Donald, Chairman Mao to Donald, Mickey Mouse to Donald, or an old and slightly moldy rutabaga to Donald.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #39191 02/29/16 11:23 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: tacit

I personally prefer Hillary to Donald, Sanders to Donald, Chairman Mao to Donald, Mickey Mouse to Donald, or an old and slightly moldy rutabaga to Donald.

But at least Donald tells it like it is! Unfortunately, it will most likely be Hillary, which means we'll have 4 more years of Obama crap.

honestone #39195 02/29/16 11:44 PM

But at least Donald tells it like it is! Unfortunately, it will most likely be Hillary, which means we'll have 4 more years of Obama crap.

Telling it like it is gets you crap like David Duke, Al Sharpton and their yucky ilk. mad

Yep. Gotta bring back the good ole days of Jim Crow and your grandma swinging from a cottonwood tree (grâce à Chris Rock and Lady Day [Strange Fruit]). tongue

America's best bet is to return to the days of the Roman Colosseum and settle issues by gladiatorial combat. crazy

grelber #39196 02/29/16 11:52 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Quote:
America's best bet is to return to the days of the Roman Colosseum and settle issues by gladiatorial combat.
Didn't that just happen in the Republican debates? wink

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #39197 02/29/16 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Didn't that just happen in the Republican debates? wink

Not even close. It's important to see heads and limbs rolling around the arena. Take a page from Daesh or other killing fields in recent history.

[Moi, I'm going to my blissful place in Vanilla Sky ~ Abre los ojos. smirk

grelber #39212 03/02/16 01:04 PM

wel it looks like Trump and Clinton steamrolled SuperTuesday.... what amazes me is I haven't heard anyone drop out yet. Makes me wonder just how many people we're going to have on the presidential ballot this year? And what percentage of the popular vote the winner will get? There's a very good chance this year of the president being elected with the lowest ever percentage of the popular vote.

What we need, but will probably never get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE

Sadly this is unlikely to be applied here simply because too much of the population is too dumb to understand why this would work better.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Page 5 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard