Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
ryck #38751 02/09/16 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Originally Posted By: grelber
There is not a single presidential candidate of any political stripe who could conceivably "do America proud" (if elected). They're all a bunch of feckless bumblers.

Which should probably be prefaced with IMHO.

It goes without saying that it's my opinion ... but hardly humble. tongue crazy

There hasn't been a decent and/or competent administration since WWII with the possible exception of Ike's (and that from one who once upon a time staunchly believed in and supported Camelot) and in the past couple decades the legislative branch of government has turned into a joke if not travesty.

Ike warned about the military-industrial complex ... and nobody listened. And look what happened!

There's precious little between the 49th parallel and the Rio Bravo which is worth preserving. IMO. (Most of it is owned by the Chinese anyway.)

On the other hand ... there are 5 fingers and this: Why Canada Should Be Elected US President in 2016

grelber #38752 02/09/16 07:29 PM

Ike warned about the military-industrial complex ... and nobody listened. And look what happened! ...
... On the other hand ... there are 5 fingers and this: Why Canada Should Be Elected US President in 2016

Never mind. The truth is out there: http://www.fox.com/the-x-files grin

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #38755 02/09/16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
Never mind. The truth is out there: http://www.fox.com/the-x-files grin

You betcha! shocked grin

grelber #38756 02/09/16 08:25 PM

There hasn't been a decent and/or competent administration since WWII with the possible exception of Ike's (and that from one who once upon a time staunchly believed in and supported Camelot)….

I believe there are a few historians who would disagree and point to LBJ as one of the most productive U.S. Presidents. And, granting that LBJ had twice as much time in office, he accomplished a lot more than JFK.

Last edited by ryck; 02/09/16 08:26 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #38757 02/09/16 09:00 PM

I believe there are a few historians who would disagree and point to LBJ as one of the most productive U.S. Presidents. And, granting that LBJ had twice as much time in office, he accomplished a lot more than JFK.

I was never a fan of LBJ, largely because of the LBJ Corporation's notoriously predatory business practices in Texas and I was a friend of John Tower the first Republican elected to a national office from Texas since reconstruction, so as much as I hate to say it, I have to agree with your assessment of his presidency. LBJ had a knowledge of Washington politics and a talent for political horse trading that was second to none. The Kennedy's got the adulation and glory, but it was LBJ who got the really tough legislation through congress. However in today's Washington it is doubtful he could get a congressional pay raise through congress.

I was present when Bob Schiefer announced his retirement from Face The Nation. During that very interesting evening he made a comment that gave everyone in the room a long pause for thought when he said, "Washington is broken and I don't know if it can be fixed." A sobering thought coming from one of the smartest and most thoughtful journalists alive today.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38758 02/09/16 10:09 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Breaking news: The Washington Redskins are changing their name. They are eliminating "Washington" because they feel that it sets a bad example for young fans. blush

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #38759 02/09/16 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Breaking news: The Washington Redskins are changing their name. They are eliminating "Washington" because they feel that it sets a bad example for young fans. blush

laugh

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38760 02/09/16 10:36 PM
Banned
Banned

Hillary Clinton Versus Donald Trump. Who will win?

honestone #38761 02/09/16 10:38 PM
Banned
Banned

Breaking news: The Seattle Seahawks thought about changing their name to the Washington Seahawks, but the team did not want to be connected with all that sleeziness in the nation's capitol. Then again, Frank Underwood has been trying to get things done, even though his methods are, to say the least, questionable.

honestone #38763 02/10/16 12:23 AM

What it all boils down to is: Where is Gort when we really need him? frown
_ _ _ _ _

If you're missing the allusion, check out “The Day the Earth Stood Still” (1951).

ryck #38766 02/10/16 10:22 AM

There hasn't been a decent and/or competent administration since WWII with the possible exception of Ike's (and that from one who once upon a time staunchly believed in and supported Camelot)….

While some may hold that LBJ served well on some fronts — his bid for the "Great Society" — one shouldn't forget that he escalated the Vietnam war, and the draft was expanded dramatically under his administration, putting many family men and other unfortunates in harm's way in arguably the most detested and unethical war in the country's history.

grelber #38769 02/10/16 01:20 PM

While some may hold that LBJ served well on some fronts — his bid for the "Great Society" — one shouldn't forget that he escalated the Vietnam war, and the draft was expanded dramatically under his administration, putting many family men and other unfortunates in harm's way in arguably the most detested and unethical war in the country's history.

Deteriorated into a matter of how many people could be killed instead of how much North Vietnam could be held back from invading South Vietnam. It may have been the first war fought for number of kills alone. (Just saw a documentary.) Actually, where slang for getting killed became 'wasted,' just a big waste of young lives. LBJ gets no pass for that one.

Tore the fabric of society apart in the 60's, John Lennon became a threat to the US government simply with the chant "All we are saying is give peace a chance."

First war the US 'lost' and I believe the longest one up until then.

Now this is tin foil hat time, but this explanation I heard for the Irag invasion when the WTC attack was done by Saudis makes sense. After the Vietnam war, Nixon took us off the gold standard because of the tremendous war debt. The currency became backed by oil, which has always been traded in dollars. Saddam Hussein didn't care much for Bush after the first Iraq war and threatened to stop trading oil in dollars but the Saudis wouldn't because they and the Bush's went way back. It is possible that Vietnam led to Iraq many years later. Rant over.

Last edited by slolerner; 02/10/16 01:52 PM. Reason: More
grelber #38770 02/10/16 02:28 PM

No one will argue that there was anything positive about the Viet Nam war (the roots of which are in the Eisenhower administration) but it doesn't wipe the slate clean on the fact that LBJ did produce a lot of good legislation for America.

In addition to his "Great Society" legislation - which included laws upholding civil rights, public broadcasting, Medicare, Medicaid, environmental protection, aid to education, and the abolition of poverty, President Johnson also:

...signed the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968 outlawing most forms of racial segregation and providing equal housing opportunities regardless of race, creed, or national origin.

...passed the Voting Rights Act of 1965 outlawing discrimination in voting.

...signed the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and Higher Education Act to improve funding to schools, especially those in poor districts.

...created programs to tackle poverty - such as Head Start, food stamps, Work Study, Medicare, and Medicaid.

...established the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Endowment for the Arts to support humanists and artists.

...appointed Thurgood Marshall - the first African American justice on the Supreme Court.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
slolerner #38771 02/10/16 02:29 PM

Yup, he did all that. Credit where it's due.

Oh yeah ... and the other LBJ and her campaign in those great societal years to "Beautify America".
I still have the button which reads: No more ugly children! Sterilize Lady Bird!!

grelber #38887 02/15/16 08:21 AM

If the upcoming Scalia replacement debacle doesn't convince the greater electorate that the Republican party is truly trying to kill America, nothing will.
The GOP has scuttled the political process so completely over the past 8 years and seems to feel that they should paid by the tax dollar for essentially doing nothing for the good of the people.
I'm reminded of "King of Hearts" (1966 movie, starring Alan Bates) — only getting back into the asylum won't help.
Think irreparably nutsy cuckoo. tongue crazy

grelber #38888 02/15/16 08:41 AM

If you don't think it's been a hell of a fascinating year politics-wise 'til now, just think about what it'll be like with the two upcoming shows going on at the same time. crazy

Whew!

What would you think about President Labamba nominating Trump for the post? Consider the almost limitless possibilities and implications! tongue

Last edited by artie505; 02/15/16 08:56 AM. Reason: Better word

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38889 02/15/16 08:52 AM

Ah luvs it!
Jackals eating their young.

On the other hand, as you say, it'd resolve so many of the GOP's problems:
— It would eliminate the embarrassing front-runner for president.
— It would allow them not to close down Washington in an election year.

grelber #38891 02/15/16 12:27 PM

But if they bought into it they'd be buying a pig in a poke.

There's no telling what that bozo might do given the credibility of the black robes, although I'm sure we could count on his throwing judicial precedent out the window.

(In reality, I'd really prefer to see him as an independent presidential candidate.)

grelber #38893 02/15/16 03:30 PM

Yup, he did all that. Credit where it's due.

Oh yeah ... and the other LBJ and her campaign in those great societal years to "Beautify America".
I still have the button which reads: No more ugly children! Sterilize Lady Bird!!

I have said before that as a Texan, I was never a fan of LBJ, but every spring as I drive the highways in this state to see the roadsides emblazoned with bluebonnets and indian paint brush I am grateful to Lady Bird Johnson for championing the planting of wildflowers by the state highway department. A program that cost virtually nothing and contributes to the pleasure of everyone.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38894 02/15/16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
... every spring as I drive the highways in this state to see the roadsides emblazoned with bluebonnets and [Indian paintbrush] I am grateful to Lady Bird Johnson for championing the planting of wildflowers by the state highway department. A program that cost virtually nothing and contributes to the pleasure of everyone.

The program was indeed wizard ... although I do miss the far less intrusive Burma-Shave jingles, which also helped to keep one alert on the road.

artie505 #38895 02/15/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
But if they bought into it they'd be buying a pig in a poke.
There's no telling what that bozo might do given the credibility of the black robes, although I'm sure we could count on his throwing judicial precedent out the window.
(In reality, I'd really prefer to see him as an independent presidential candidate.)

Just a pig; he hides not his light in a poke (or under a bushel). Even though he's not worthless (as he is wont to brag), he's still a putz.
The reality is that without a law degree and some sort of creditable tenure in the profession, he fails the test and could never seriously be nominated for the job. {sigh}

grelber #38899 02/15/16 07:03 PM

Just a pig; he hides not his light in a poke (or under a bushel). Even though he's not worthless (as he is wont to brag), he's still a putz.
The reality is that without a law degree and some sort of creditable tenure in the profession, he fails the test and could never seriously be nominated for the job. {sigh}

There is no requirement, constitutional or otherwise, for a Supreme Court Justice to have a law degree or judicial experience. I don't recall who it was, but I have read that at least one well respected Supreme Court Justice had neither. But unless the Republicans win the Whitehouse or lose their Senate Majority it appears unlikely that any vacancy on the Supreme Court will be filled in at least the next five years.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38900 02/15/16 08:07 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

There is no requirement, constitutional or otherwise, for a Supreme Court Justice to have a law degree or judicial experience. I don't recall who it was, but I have read that at least one well respected Supreme Court Justice had neither. But unless the Republicans win the Whitehouse or lose their Senate Majority it appears unlikely that any vacancy on the Supreme Court will be filled in at least the next five years.

Five years? I bet Donald Trump will get it through faster than that!

ryck #38901 02/15/16 08:17 PM

No one will argue that there was anything positive about the Viet Nam war (the roots of which are in the Eisenhower administration) but it doesn't wipe the slate clean on the fact that LBJ did produce a lot of good legislation for America.

In addition to his "Great Society" legislation - which included laws upholding civil rights, public broadcasting, Medicare, Medicaid, environmental protection, aid to education, and the abolition of poverty, President Johnson also:

...signed the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1968 outlawing most forms of racial segregation and providing equal housing opportunities regardless of race, creed, or national origin.

...passed the Voting Rights Act of 1965 outlawing discrimination in voting.

...signed the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and Higher Education Act to improve funding to schools, especially those in poor districts.

...created programs to tackle poverty - such as Head Start, food stamps, Work Study, Medicare, and Medicaid.

...established the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Endowment for the Arts to support humanists and artists.

...appointed Thurgood Marshall - the first African American justice on the Supreme Court.

To quote LBJ "No memorial oration or eulogy could more eloquently honor President Kennedy's memory than passage of the Civil Rights Bill FOR WHICH HE FOUGHT SO HARD."

"The Medicare bill was lost, and he (Kennedy) went immediately on television to declare that this "most serious defeat for every American family" would be a key issue in the fall campaign."

See "JFK remarks at Amherst College October 1963" at Arts.gov, the website of the National Endowment of the Arts.

On June 11th, 1963, president John F. Kennedy issued Proclamation 3542, forcing Governor George Wallace to comply with federal court orders allowing African-American students to register for the summer session at University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and all persons acting in concert with him to cease and desist from obstructing justice.

President Kennedy initiated the planning for the "War on Poverty" [Great Society?] in 1963 after reading an article by Michael Harrington entitled "The Other America."

On the Audubon website, "Rachael Carson and JFK, an Environmental Tag Team."

After Thurgood Marshall was Chief Counsel for the NAACP Legal Defence and Educational Fund, JFK appointed him to the United States Court on f Apoeals for the Second Circuit. Marshall remained on that court until 1965, when LBJ appointed him to Solicitor General. In 1967, Johnson nominated him to the Supreme Court saying " It was the right thing to do."

Credit where credit is due. LBJ may not have been a brilliant thinker but he did finish the work of what would have been a second term in office for JFK and that is a good thing. Escalating the war in Vietnam Nam was his own bad judgement.

Last edited by slolerner; 02/15/16 08:36 PM.
slolerner #38905 02/15/16 09:01 PM

Amongst the legislation passed by Congress during the Kennedy Administration, unemployment benefits were expanded, aid was provided to cities to improve housing and transportation, funds were allocated to continue the construction of a national highway system started under Eisenhower, a water pollution control act was passed to protect the country’s rivers and streams, and an agricultural act to raise farmers’ incomes was made law.[4] A significant amount of anti-poverty legislation was passed by Congress, including increases in social security benefits and in the minimum wage, several housing bills, and aid to economically distressed areas. A few antirecession public works packages,[3] together with a number of measures designed to assist farmers,[5] were introduced. Major expansions and improvements were made in Social Security (including retirement at 62 for men), hospital construction, library services, family farm assistance and reclamation.[6] Food stamps for low-income Americans were reintroduced, food distribution to the poor was increased, and there was an expansion in school milk and school lunch distribution. The most comprehensive farm legislation since 1938 was carried out, with expansions in rural electrification, soil conservation, crop insurance, farm credit, and marketing orders. In September 1961, the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency was established as the focal point in government for the “planning, negotiation, and execution of international disarmament and arms control agreements.”[7] Altogether, the New Frontier witnessed the passage of a broad range of important social and economic reforms.[8]

Page 4 of 40 1 2 3 4 5 6 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard