for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Switching three devices to IMAP mail
#38674 02/05/16 07:34 PM
OP Offline

MBP, iPad and Android phone. Where do I start? Do I have to delete the accounts from each device first?

And, let's say I want to keep certain messages on MacMail but delete from my phone, how do I do that without going to the Mac? If I don't set up IMAP, then I have to bcc everything I send from my phone or iPad back to myself, right?

Last edited by slolerner; 02/05/16 07:38 PM. Reason: More

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Switching three devices to IMAP mail
slolerner #38676 02/05/16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
And, let's say I want to keep certain messages on MacMail but delete from my phone, how do I do that without going to the Mac? If I don't set up IMAP, then I have to bcc everything I send from my phone or iPad back to myself, right?

If by MacMail means the Apple email application that ships with OS X and iOS and those accounts are POP the easiest, and perhaps only, way of saving the messages would be to do it on the Mac. In fact I am not even sure it would be possible to do on the iPad and you are on your own where the Android phone is concerned.

On the Mac using the Apple Mail application you would go to Mailbox > New Mailbox, select On My Mac as the location and define a name for the mailbox then move the messages you want to save to the On My Mac mailboxe(es). Since On My Mac mailboxes are not associated with any email account you could then safely delete or change the accounts without losing the messages. However that does mean you would have to move everything to the Mac. Forwarding the messages from your other devices to the Mac is probably the easiest way to get them there. I'm not sure how your Bcc would even work.

NOTE: If you do go to IMAP accounts there is no way to keep some messages on one device and not the others except for messages you have moved to an On My Mac mailbox.

Originally Posted By: slolerner
MBP, iPad and Android phone. Where do I start? Do I have to delete the accounts from each device first?

In older versions of the Apple Mail application it was possible to change an account from POP to IMAP or vice versa if the incoming mail server URL remained the same but in the current releases it is not easy to even create a POP account much less change an account from POP to IMAP or vice-versa. IMO the easiest way to go would be to delete the POP accounts and create new IMAP accounts.

FWIW I have my Mac, iPad, and iPhone set to synch Mail via iCloud. That means the Mail setup not the messages. So when I setup or change email on my Mac, that automatically changes the two iOS devices.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
slolerner #38677 02/05/16 10:24 PM

Let's start with the basics.....

The key difference between IMAP and POP is that ALL email resides on the server (with minor variations depending on how you set your client preferences) with IMAP.

.....whereas, ALL mail that transits a POP server comes OFF the server as soon as you touch it with your email client on your device....and it lives ONLY on your device once delivered, i.e., anything Sent from that account will only be retained on the device from which it was sent, anything received from that account will only be retained on the device that accessed that account.

So let's run an example: you have three separate POP email accounts -- none of that mail lives on any other device once you access the account from any of your devices...account A can be accessed from any of your devices, but any email that you touch from that device is lost to any of your other devices unless you manually re-send it. Same applies to the other two POP accounts.....

To consolidate all your emails to a single IMAP account would require you forward everything you wanted to consolidate from each of your POP accounts....once on the IMAP server, ALL of that email can be accessed from ANY of your devices equally without affecting the other devices. If you delete an email from that account from any of your devices, that email is deleted for ALL your devices.

Those are the basics, and with some additional configuration you can adjust things so that you can have an additional "Retain" IMAP mailbox that instead of throwing an email into the Trash and having it go away for all your different devices you can put it into this Retain box and have it filed for access at a later time by any of your devices.

I hope that viewing this issue from the server perspective rather than from the device perspective helps to clarify your next actions.....we can talk about having multiple IMAP accounts that your email client can access simultaneously at a later time.

Just to give you some hope that it's not all that hard, I have three separate IMAP mail accounts (.mac, gmail, and my local ISP) that I access from my computer(s) using the Mail client application under OS X, my iPad and my iPhone using the Mail app under IOS....and when I receive an email on ANY of those three accounts, I get notification on ALL my devices and can access that email from ANY of those devices without any bleed-over or cross-talk to either of the other email accounts.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #38688 02/06/16 07:51 AM

Am I misunderstanding something?

I've got three POP accounts, and as far as I've ever been able to tell their default behavior is to retain all mail received until I delete it from my server either manually or automatically via a Mail > Prefs > Advanced option.

In fact, I frequently use my POP accounts to store mail that I've already d/l'ed.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38694 02/06/16 02:30 PM

Sounds to me Artie as if at some point in the past you manually re-configured the default preferences in Mail to leave the emails on your POP server.....most POP accounts limit the amount of data that they will retain to manage server space and therefore the default behavior they would expect is for emails to NOT be retained.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
artie505 #38695 02/06/16 02:31 PM

The default behavior for POP accounts is to delete the message from the server when it is fetched by the email client. However, there is an option to leave the message on the server. In Mail 9 that option is in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced.

— Albert Einstein
slolerner #38700 02/06/16 07:28 PM

In case your provider is EarthLink, see this Support Center article:
EarthLink IMAP Setup. Last updated on January 22, 2016.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
joemikeb #38707 02/07/16 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
...there is an option to leave the message on the server. In Mail 9 that option is in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced.

You've got that option backwards.

Edit: That said, I recently read somewhere that Apple removed the option to delete mail from your server in OS X 10.11.2, and, indeed, the option I depicted seems not to be working, although I can still delete emails from my server via control-clicking on Mail > Sidebar > Inbox > Get Account Info.

Last edited by artie505; 02/07/16 01:22 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MacManiac #38708 02/07/16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Sounds to me Artie as if at some point in the past you manually re-configured the default preferences in Mail to leave the emails on your POP server.....most POP accounts limit the amount of data that they will retain to manage server space and therefore the default behavior they would expect is for emails to NOT be retained.

I can speak only for my own situation...

Originally Posted By: Verizon
Email Retention
All Email will be retained indefinitely as long as your Email account remains active and you do not exceed the maximum storage quota for your mailbox. You can determine the available storage space for your mailbox via the Email Storage window in the left column of your mailbox.
All Email in the trash folder will be deleted after 2 days.
All Email in the Spam detector folder will be deleted after 4 days.

Edit: And if I were to theorize that all POP providers acted similarly, I'd be supported by the Mail option referenced in my response to joemike.

Last edited by artie505; 02/07/16 05:57 AM.

artie505 #38718 02/07/16 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Edit: And if I were to theorize that all POP providers acted similarly, I'd be supported by the Mail option referenced in my response to joemike.

I think in this case theorizing would be equivalent to assume. grin It is far more likely each ISP would have unique POP retention policies.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38720 02/07/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I think in this case theorizing would be equivalent to assume. grin It is far more likely each ISP would have unique POP retention policies.

And, of course, the option in reverse wouldn't be of any use, because Apple can't overcome an ISP's retention policy.

Edit: I'm slow on the uptake (for a change tongue ) today. By definition, a theory can't be an assumption. (An assumption is far more likely to get you into trouble than is a theory.)

Last edited by artie505; 02/08/16 08:22 AM.

artie505 #38783 02/11/16 01:48 PM

Edit: I'm slow on the uptake (for a change tongue ) today. By definition, a theory can't be an assumption. (An assumption is far more likely to get you into trouble than is a theory.)

I clearly remember a few people telling me what happens when you ASSUME

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #38800 02/11/16 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

I clearly remember a few people telling me what happens when you ASSUME

I clearly remember it happening!

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard