Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: iPad has two mail accounts listed for each address
slolerner #36759 10/28/15 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Actually, there were over a thousand messages. shocked

Thought that was the case but I didn't want to exaggerate.
I had mentioned that I don't want to open the messages that are junk because I am using LS on my MBP (when I can sit at it) to stop spam. You can't mark an email on an ipad for deletion until you click on it and that opens it, so it won't work. On my mac, I now get the LS window when junk mail tries to load and I block the port before it loads. It's just cumbersome to go into each account to place save messages on the iPad, but I can keep them all in a new folder under one account, I guess.

That is a limitation in Mail that I do not know a workaround for. mad I will risk sounding like a broken record and say that there is an easy work around in Airmail.
So, one other thought but probably won't work: if I flag the ones I want, will that keep them from being deleted during a dump?

Nope
If I did have a bluetooth keyboard, would I be able to shift and select? Just a thought... Probably a dumb one.

Not a bad idea but that doesn't work either. I just tried it on my iPad with an attached bluetooth keyboard. crazy

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36765 10/28/15 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If I did have a bluetooth keyboard, would I be able to shift and select? Just a thought... Probably a dumb one.

Not a bad idea but that doesn't work either. I just tried it on my iPad with an attached bluetooth keyboard. crazy

I've been wondering whether an attached keyboard would regain lost functionality.

I imagine that your "no" is across the board. frown

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #36766 10/28/15 08:43 PM
OP Offline

Quote:
I had mentioned that I don't want to open the messages that are junk because I am using LS on my MBP (when I can sit at it) to stop spam. You can't mark an email on an ipad for deletion until you click on it and that opens it, so it won't work. On my mac, I now get the LS window when junk mail tries to load and I block the port before it loads. It's just cumbersome to go into each account to place save messages on the iPad, but I can keep them all in a new folder under one account, I guess.

You misunderstand, joemikeb, you solved it with your instructions. I was explaining to Artie505 why it had to be done this way, because you can't delete a message without selecting it, which automatically opens it. Something I would rather not do because I do not want to open spam on the iPad. You can only delete it without opening it by deleting ALL, so taking out what I want and then doing a delete all would basically work. A few loose ends I can deal with.

slolerner #36768 10/28/15 08:54 PM

Got it. Thanks! (Perhaps one of the reasons for the continuing decrease in iPad sales?)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
slolerner #36772 10/28/15 09:56 PM

Quote:
You can't mark an email on an ipad for deletion until you click on it and that opens it, so it won't work.

I'm missing something here. Why can't you go to the All Inboxes screen, click Edit, tick the circle next to each message you want to delete, then click Trash?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #36781 10/29/15 01:13 AM
OP Offline

Cuz it opens the email to even mark it for delete. I noticed that on the MBP as a difference between 10.6 and 10.7. You don't get a list and double click to open each email, they just automatically open. Or am I missing something here? On my MBP, which has LS, as a spam email comes up LS starts asking for ports and I deny them. I did this for awhile on one of my email accounts, and it did clean it up. But if I open a spam email on the iPad, I would never know what ports it is using or be able to block them.

Clarity: LS cleaned up that account and there is very little spam on that account ON THE IPAD ALSO. Now another account is being spammed.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/29/15 01:16 AM. Reason: More
slolerner #36790 10/29/15 05:31 PM

Now another account is being spammed.

What have you done to anger the gods?! confused crazy

grelber #36791 10/29/15 05:37 PM
OP Offline

Quote:
What have you done to anger the gods?!

I ask myself that question a lot lately...

grelber #36792 10/29/15 09:48 PM
OP Offline

I started thinking about this, and both of those accounts are from the same provider, my other accounts are completely clean. Hmmm...

I think the culprit is EarthLink, that they may have released email addresses. It shouldn't be surprising, whenever you call tech support the first thing the overseas support asks you for is your password. Say whaaa? I've told US support about this. Does anyone have any suggestions here about how to complain about these spams without tech support just telling you to put some kind of challenge-response on it and make it the problem of those people legitimately mailing me?

Last edited by slolerner; 10/29/15 10:05 PM. Reason: Changed post
slolerner #36795 10/29/15 10:20 PM

Are you inextricably tied to Earthlink?

artie505 #36797 10/29/15 10:55 PM
OP Offline

Yes. i've had those addresses for over 15 years. The first account that got spammed was not surprising, it's the account I use the most. The second one is a more private email address, friends, etc

Last edited by slolerner; 10/29/15 11:05 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #36798 10/29/15 11:29 PM
OP Offline

Can I set up a script to forward them to spam@earthlink.net? I think I have to keep bouncing them back to EarthLink until they get the message.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/29/15 11:30 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #36799 10/29/15 11:57 PM

I doubt that spam@earthlink.net is a valid address, but I don't suppose it can hurt to try.

Verizon gives me the option to move spam into a "Spam" mailbox, but I've got to log in to do it...PIA, but usually productive.

Doesn't Earthlink offer you a similar means to designate mail as spam for them to investigate?

slolerner #36808 10/30/15 08:27 AM

Can I set up a script to forward them to spam@earthlink.net? I think I have to keep bouncing them back to EarthLink until they get the message.

I would have thought that Earthlink would have a built-in mechanism for doing such. (Or am I missing something?)

You could also set up parallel email accounts with another provider (eg, Gmail), have your Earthlink email messages forwarded to same, and then relegate them to Gmail's spam folder via filters. A little roundabout but workable.

grelber #36822 10/30/15 04:18 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Grelber
You could also set up parallel email accounts with another provider (eg, Gmail), have your Earthlink email messages forwarded to same, and then relegate them to Gmail's spam folder via filters. A little roundabout but workable.

Brilliant! Simple. Google will pick them off so easily, most are coming from .edu domains. Just have to reply from my EarthLink email address. Can probably set that up somewhere...

slolerner #36829 10/30/15 06:14 PM

Gmail can be configured so that when you reply to a message that Gmail has "fetched" from another account the reply will appear to come from the original account. I know that will work using the Gmail web interface but I don't know if that will work when you are using a local client like Mail to access the messages.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36830 10/30/15 06:24 PM
OP Offline

The plot thickens. So, I called the college IT department where most of these more fast and furious spams are coming from. They are being spoofed and there are attorneys involved. I was instructed to forward the emails to the IT department.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/30/15 06:45 PM. Reason: Concise
slolerner #36842 10/30/15 07:49 PM

eku.edu, by any chance?

artie505 #36846 10/30/15 08:31 PM
OP Offline

Ding ding ding

slolerner #36865 10/30/15 11:36 PM

They were making my life miserable, and for the first time ever, Verizon failed to deal with spam. mad (Verizon used to allow me to blacklist domains, but that option is no longer available. Booo!)

Luckily, though, the spam was all coming to my TrashMail account, so I simply deleted it and created a new one. Problem solved! smile

(I maintain an e-mail address specifically for those entities that have no business asking for one but demand one anyhow...the entities that are most likely to be sources of spam.)

Edit: After a while I began forwarding the e-mails to webmaster@eku.edu, but I never heard back and finally got bored and deleted the account.

Last edited by artie505; 10/31/15 08:51 AM.

artie505 #36868 10/31/15 08:37 AM

Perhaps someone could explain why eku.edu (Eastern Kentucky University) seems to be a hot bed of spamming. On the surface it would seem to be a reputable place, but from the latest discussion here it would seem not. confused

grelber #36870 10/31/15 08:50 AM

The best I can do is repeat slolerner's "They are being spoofed and there are attorneys involved." (Emphasis added)

I'm sure that some input from tacit would be helpful.

I wonder if anybody else will report similar eku.edu spam or could it be more or less limited to New Yorkers, perhaps originating from some website that we're more likely to visit than non-NYers?

artie505 #36873 10/31/15 11:39 AM
OP Offline

As Artie505 said, they are being spoofed and have not been able to stop it despite their efforts. As Artie also said, Verizon did not/could not filter it despite many complaints. It's not local and the emails are not for local services or products. They are hitting email providers.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/31/15 11:47 AM. Reason: Emphasis
slolerner #36877 10/31/15 03:26 PM

Quote:
They are hitting email providers.

That clarification muddies the waters.

Of my five Verizon e-mail accounts, why only the "insecure" one?

And how do they know my alternate user name? (Some of the spam was addressed [Edit: in the body of the e-mail] to abc from abc@verizon.net, which I never use as my name, and some was addressed to xyz, which I use only when posting with the abc address and is in no other way associated with the account.)

I wonder if Verizon can't stop the spam because it would involve blacklisting all e-mail from eku.edu, the good along with the bad?

(I don't remember ever seeing any content...just little blue boxes with ?s, so I've got zero idea what they're pushing.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/31/15 03:33 PM.

artie505 #36878 10/31/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
[quote](I don't remember ever seeing any content...just little blue boxes with ?s, so I've got zero idea what they're pushing.)

They might be hiding beacons or worse.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard