Print Thread
bounces+accountname=gmail.com@dynect-mailer.net
#38339 01/17/16 07:05 PM
OP Offline

My friend's gmail. Conversation view. In her SENT folder:

Email is from lists she subscribed to.

First scenario:

String title is "Bounces+accountname@gmail.com"

Click on the conversation, then there is an email from the sender with a reply that appears to be SENT by her to this address:

bounces+accountname=gmail.com@dynect-mailer.net

Second scenario:

String Title is "bounces+1094356-b101-accountname=gmail.com@email.poshmark.com"

Click on the conversation, then there is an email from the sender with a reply that appears to be SENT by her to this address:

bounces+username=gmail.com@dynect-mailer.net

I advised her to unsubscribe to all her lists until we can get this figured out and resubscribe. So, If I mark these things as spam, is she going to be able to resubscribe without those emails going into spam? Any better ideas? It appears some aggressive marketer called dynect-mailer.net has been hitting everyone, just Google it. (We already changed the password on the gmail account, etc.)

Edit: Screen shot here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/slolerner/sets/72157663073689410

Last edited by slolerner; 01/17/16 08:37 PM. Reason: more
Re: bounces+accountname=gmail.com@dynect-mailer.net
slolerner #38342 01/17/16 09:39 PM

It appears that is a tactic being used to confirm the email was received and opened.
Originally Posted By: dyn.cnm website
Inbox acceptance isn't a right, it's a benefit of doing it right.

The process of getting email from sender to inbox isn't as easy as just hitting 'send'. Behind every great deliverability company is a group of dedicated people that have spent years in the business, building relationships and technology that result in inbox success. That's what Dyn's email clients experience: complete inbox success.

Why build it when we did it for you?

Building an email infrastructure can take years and tens of thousands of dollars. Even then, there's no guarantee that email will get delivered. Dyn's senders routinely experience best-in-class delivery rates, near triple-digit sender scores and expert consultation when they come on board. We are anti-spam and pro-best practices, doing full checks into any new client before they come on board.

Whether or not it is spam is arguable, certainly it creates unwanted outgoing traffic on your account when you receive a message with that embedded.

It may be possible to create a Mail rule to automatically delete any message containing dynect-mailer in the header.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38345 01/17/16 11:18 PM
OP Offline

This is a service that an emailer adds, like an attorney would, to confirm that the email was received? It still doesn't explain the bouncing part?

But, would creating a rule that blocks sending the receipt might eventually cause her to be dropped as an undeliverable address?

Last edited by slolerner; 01/17/16 11:22 PM. Reason: more
slolerner #38346 01/17/16 11:27 PM

I don't think it's a literal "bounce", rather it's an adaptation of the term.

(As a relevant aside, I'll mention that I just noticed that Mail in El Cap hasn't got a "Bounce" button. I've got no idea when it disappeared.)

Quote:
But, would creating a rule that blocks sending the receipt might eventually cause her to be dropped as an undeliverable address?

That's the whole idea of the exercise. frown

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38347 01/17/16 11:45 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
(As a relevant aside, I'll mention that I just noticed that Mail in El Cap hasn't got a "Bounce" button. I've got no idea when it disappeared.)

It disappeared in 10.7. I think Tacit explained it and why it didn't really do anything, I'll try to find the string.

Edit: Now that I am thinking about it, I see those receipts all the time with LS. Mailchimp, ConstantContact, etc. But those are invisible. Why would Google have it show up? I'd say that is not "complete inbox success." Makes people like my friend nervous.

Last edited by slolerner; 01/17/16 11:56 PM. Reason: More

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #38348 01/18/16 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Originally Posted By: artie505

It disappeared in 10.7. I think Tacit explained it and why it didn't really do anything, I'll try to find the string.

I read tacit's recent post, but the issue was old hat (Edit: to me) by then. (I was unaware that it had disappeared, because I skipped 10.7, 8, 9, & 10.)

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Edit: Now that I am thinking about it, I see those receipts all the time with LS. Mailchimp, ConstantContact, etc. But those are invisible. Why would Google have it show up? I'd say that is not "complete inbox success." Makes people like my friend nervous.

Maybe Google is doing your friend a favor by calling it to her attention? (Naaah! That doesn't sound at all like Google.)

A bad line of code in a software update is more likely than that.

Last edited by artie505; 01/18/16 02:13 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38349 01/18/16 02:17 AM
OP Offline

JoeMikeB: My friend thanks you very much. Too bad Google locked this conversation, you could have answered it:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/laIlDQ-OOkE

BTW: It only happens on her Google+ account and not on her regular one. Explanation? Bad code or not using that service on regular Google accounts?

slolerner #38351 01/18/16 02:03 PM

From what I picked up from a variety of sources, I can speculate it is…
  • The result of a miscode on the part of the email originator or
  • an adaptation for GMail

There are some Gmail help threads talking about that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #38352 01/18/16 05:07 PM
OP Offline

Would be interested if you sent the links to those pages. Could only find the one above, Thanks.

slolerner #38354 01/18/16 05:21 PM

Why doesn't your friend contact the vendors from whom those emails originated and advise them that their "promotion" is more distressing than inviting?

I'll guess that they'll not be thrilled with the situation.

artie505 #38355 01/18/16 05:30 PM
OP Offline

Since I now have a better understanding of what happened, the most efficicient thing is for me to contact DYN and also send them this string, if nobody minds. Surprised Google hasn't caught it. My thinking is that it is a service Google offers to certain legitimate vendors so Google can charge them for it. That's more likely than all these vendors using the same provider for the receipt confirmation service.

Last edited by slolerner; 01/18/16 05:38 PM. Reason: Ask permission to send this string to DYN
slolerner #38358 01/18/16 07:30 PM

I certainly don't mind your sending my posts to anybody you think can help.

Quote:
That's more likely than all these vendors using the same provider for the receipt confirmation service.

I don't agree with that.

I think it's altogether likely that many vendors, mass-mailers in particular, are paying for this service to increase their reach while possibly reducing their outreach costs, and I don't think they'd be the least bit pleased to know that their front-man is alienating, rather than encouraging potential customers.

I haven't searched, but from what's been posted here I infer that there's a good deal of consternation over these "receipts".

I stand by contacting the retailers and letting them know that you don't like it.

Last edited by artie505; 01/19/16 05:08 PM. Reason: More

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard