for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Your iCloud Music Library session has expired"
#37893 12/18/15 08:14 AM
OP Online

iTunes 12.3.2.35 keeps popping up a dialog box asking me to reconnect using my Apple ID and password when I've never begun a session in the first place.

I don't even use iCloud!

Is there any way to get the pop-ups to stop appearing?

Thanks.

Update: Uncheckimg "Show Apple Music" in iTunes > General Prefs > General seems to have turned the trick.

PS: An iCloud column keeps appearing in my iTunes window no matter how many times I remove it.

Anybody know any way to stop that?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: "Your iCloud Music Library session has expired"
artie505 #37896 12/18/15 03:47 PM

Just to be clear, you are talking about the "iCloud Status" column, like the ones for Artist, Song title, etc.?

If you control-click on the header of column names, a pop-up list of available columns appears and you check/uncheck what you want. You did that and it still reappears?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #37897 12/18/15 03:58 PM
OP Online

It's actually called "iCloud Download", but yes, that's the one I'm talking about.

I've turned it off repeatedly via command-J, and it keeps reappearing. (I'll try turning it off via control-click and see what happens.)

Edit: The control-click route didn't get me to a better place. (

Last edited by artie505; 12/18/15 04:51 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37904 12/19/15 03:55 PM

There is a listing for iCloud Status and iCloud Download. I have both checked but the "Download" does not appear in the header; "Status" does.

Try checking both, quit iTunes, re-open, then unchecking both, quit, re-open.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #37905 12/19/15 10:20 PM
OP Online

In iTunes 12.3.2.35 I've got only an iCloud Download option...an unadjustable column about 3/8" wide with a little cloud in it; I've tried quitting and restarting with the option unchecked, and it reappears every time I launch iTunes.

Oh, well, it's annoying, but it's not a major annoyance, and it should be the worst glitch I run into in El Cap. tongue

Thanks for your input.

artie505 #37921 12/21/15 04:20 PM

Just for the record, my iTunes version is the same, but I am running (for a bit longer) Yosemite 10.10.5.

On a Mac since 1984.
artie505 #37923 12/21/15 08:06 PM

I am running iTunes 12.3.2.35 on OS X 10.11.3 beta 1 and so far I am unable to replicate your problem. What specific screen are you trying to configure? Are you looking at Songs, Albums, Artists, Composers, or Genres? Only in the Songs screen are the columns adjustable and only in that view can you configure which columns are visible and FWIW I can adjust all the columns and select which columns are to be displayed without difficulty.

I looked at the iTunes preference file and as far as I can tell the information on which columns are visible and the column widths would appear to be stored elsewhere — I know not where that may be confused You might try creating a new iTunes Library (hold down the option key when you launch iTunes and see if that clears the issue.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #37928 12/22/15 07:54 AM
OP Online

My version of iTunes is the latest one...released around Dec. 10th; I wonder why it differs from yours?

This is what I see, and that little cloud on the left is the column I've been so unsuccessfully trying to get rid of. (Neither Personal, Stats, File, nor Sorting includes another iCloud option.)

I was hoping that someone more conversant with iCloud might know how to turn the trick (if it actually has anything to do with iCloud).

joemikeb #37929 12/22/15 08:11 AM
OP Online

This is the entire screen I'm dealing with; the screenshots I posted for Ira are expanded portions thereof.

That stupid, little iCloud column will not go away no matter what. (I just unchecked it and quit iTunes, and it came back instantly when I relaunched it...same after restarting.)

That particular column is my only problem child; all aspects of all others work as expected.

Thanks for the new library suggestion, but it's not important enough to bother.

artie505 #37934 12/22/15 01:31 PM

What happens if you log out of your apple itunes account. On mine it makes the column disappear. You might have already tried this. I only skimmed the subject

artie505 #37940 12/22/15 03:46 PM

The cloud icon is the "iCloud Download" if there is an arrow through the cloud pointing down it means the tune is in iCloud and is not stored on your computer, however assuming you have an internet connection it can still be played. If there is no cloud icon by the tune it means it is stored on your computer.

On my screen I have another option iCloud Status which is a text field that says something like "purchased". The fact your settings are not holding would seem to indicate a preference file problem, but a search of com.apple.tunes.plist did not turn up any settings I could identify as controlling those settings. Neither can I explain why the iCloud Status option is not showing on your computer.

Have you considered a call to Apple Tech Support?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
MarkG #37964 12/23/15 08:12 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: MarkG
What happens if you log out of your apple itunes account. On mine it makes the column disappear. You might have already tried this. I only skimmed the subject

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've never logged in to "my" iTunes account, and, in fact, I just took a look, and I can't even figure out how to get to the iTunes Store. shocked ( cool )

joemikeb #37966 12/23/15 11:33 AM
OP Online

I don't use iCloud, and I not only haven't got an iTunes Store account, I can't even figure out how to get to the iTunes Store.

I just re-d/l'ed iTunes 12.3.2.35, and nothing has changed, including my not seeing your "iCloud Status" option.

I've got to wonder if this is somehow related to iTunes Store/iCloud, but I don't really feel like getting involved with AppleCare over a totally unimportant issue, so I'll just follow the "Provide iTunes Feedback" link in the iTunes menu. (An Apple app with a built-in feedback link?)

Thanks for your input.

artie505 #37987 12/24/15 10:42 PM

Thanks for the update. The same thing was happening to me, and I found this thread looking for the solution. I've followed your tip of unchecking "Show Apple Music" and if the dialog box returns I'll add a follow-up.

By the way, this problem is not unheard-of, as we see in this search:
https://encrypted.google.com/search?q="icloud+music+library+session"

I never would have given any thought to the "Show Apple Music" setting. Thanks again!

artie505 #37989 12/25/15 02:48 AM

After listening to radio stations on iTunes, I started to listening to a podcast. After a few minutes, that same dialog box came back again.

iTunes 12.3.2.35 keeps popping up a dialog box asking me to reconnect using my Apple ID and password when I've never begun a session in the first place.

I don't even use iCloud!

Same here.

Dave #38006 12/26/15 11:04 AM
OP Online

Let's start by making sure that we're in the same ballpark: iTunes 12.3.2.35 & El Cap 10.11.2.

Last edited by artie505; 12/27/15 08:41 AM. Reason: Remove "duuuh" stuff

Dave #38012 12/27/15 08:36 AM
OP Online

We seem to be back to square one, here, Dave.

I unchecked that box and I'm not seeing the pop-up (Little Snitch notwithstanding). confused

The only thing I can think of at this point is the next time you see the pop-up, log in with your Apple ID and then log out. (Apple doesn't make it easy to log out, so you'll have to search for the option; try the Apple menu...maybe the one to its right.) I'm suggesting that only because I remember having done it, not if it fits into a helpful time-frame.

Last edited by artie505; 12/27/15 08:46 AM. Reason: Make better

artie505 #38056 12/31/15 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The only thing I can think of at this point is the next time you see the pop-up, log in with your Apple ID and then log out.

Thanks. I opened iTunes, logged out, and had an iTunes radio station play for many hours with no issues.

Actually, I haven't used the iTunes store in close to ten years, because I prefer to buy higher-resolution AIFF music files which Apple has shown no interest in offering. Also, it looks like we don't even have to be logged on to see which of our favorite podcasts have been updated.

Thanks again for the help in solving this.

Dave #38132 01/04/16 07:44 AM
OP Online

I'm happy to have been helpful, particularly in an area in which I'm notably lacking in experience. (I waited a few days before dancing on your issue's grave to make sure it wasn't still twitching. tongue )

I still don't get that pop-up, though, and I'll probably go to my grave believing in my usual cynical way that it's an infernal Apple scheme to nudge people into buying music.

artie505 #40537 05/18/16 02:34 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
This is the entire screen I'm dealing with; the screenshots I posted for Ira are expanded portions thereof.

That stupid, little iCloud column will not go away no matter what. (I just unchecked it and quit iTunes, and it came back instantly when I relaunched it...same after restarting.)

That particular column is my only problem child; all aspects of all others work as expected.

Thanks for the new library suggestion, but it's not important enough to bother.

I just updated iTunes to v 12.4 and unchecked "iCloud Download" in a command-J window, and it looks like that column is finally gone for good! laugh cool

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard