FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cannot view any Apple website (!)
#38015 12/28/15 10:53 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Try as I might I cannot at the moment load any Apple web page, either in the US or Australia, using either Safari or Firefox (which I occasionally engage when Safari splutters) on my late 2013 iMac OS 10.11.2

I’ve turned off ad blocking extensions (Ghostery, Scamzapper etc), tried various user agents in the Safari Develop menu and turned off Little Snitch network filter. The page loads about 25% of the progress bar but no content and then stops. No “safari cannot load page” dialog or anything. Non Apple sites are fine.

However I can load any Apple site with my iPhone or iPad via my normal WiFi network. Logically this all seems to point to some system setting/ blocking issue specific to my iMac. I’m now at my wits end (such as they are) and would be grateful for any advice…

Re: Cannot view any Apple website (!)
andycap #38017 12/29/15 12:19 AM

Have you tried disabling all extensions? You can do that from the Develop menu. Refresh the page after it's done.

Last edited by jchuzi; 12/29/15 12:20 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #38018 12/29/15 01:04 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Jon, just tried disabling extensions (from the Develop menu). Only difference was progress bar reached about 50% but still no content loaded. Is it *irony* that I was just trying to track the delivery of an iPhone from the Australian Apple Store?!

andycap #38020 12/29/15 01:38 AM

To narrow the solution space…
  • Try a different browser. Google Chrome or Firefox come to mind
  • Logon to a different account on your computer and try from there
  • Try a different DNS server from this list

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
andycap #38021 12/29/15 01:42 AM

Quote:
No “safari cannot load page” dialog or anything.

Have you given your unloaded pages a substantial opportunity to time out?

I've run into some unusually long pre-pop-up stalls lately.

Sounds like it may be an Apple problem, although their pages load fine for me in NYC.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38022 12/29/15 06:44 AM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you both artie505 and joemikeb for your advice which has narrowed the solution space to zero and I now know that my new iPhone is in transit.

I had previously allowed a substantial timeout period for both Safari and Firefox. Logging into the guest user account didn't fix it. However the process of logging back into my own account *has* solved the problem and Apple web pages now load satisfactorily. Logging out and back in seems like a good troubleshooting tool to add to the arsenal and a lot quicker than a restart

It's still a mystery to me why, whatever the issue was, it only affected Apple sites. I don't want to think about it!

andycap #38023 12/29/15 07:15 AM

Quote:
Logging out and back in seems like a good troubleshooting tool to add to the arsenal and a lot quicker than a restart

Logging out/in can be helpful, but it's generally reserved for situations in which you question your boot account; it doesn't get as deeply into OS X as does restarting, which in turn doesn't get as deeply into OS X as does shutting down/powering up.

I treat it as my first option only when it's apparently called for. (Also, I prefer my test user account to be pristine, so I trash/recreate it every time I log in to it....makes it a time-costly option.)

I'm happy to hear that you're back up and running (and that your new iPhone is on the way). cool

Last edited by artie505; 12/29/15 08:10 AM. Reason: Rewrite

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #38025 12/29/15 11:35 AM

Andy, I suspect that your computer's HD file became corrupt, such that it thought you were in North America. Accordingly, it was spinning backwards. Once you logged out & back in, the HD reversed its spin and all was put to right. grin

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #38029 12/29/15 10:17 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Nice one Harv, very creative. Good to know that a HD must spin backwards to work in North America grin

Does this also mean that I will get younger if I fly continuously westwards? I might get younger but I would soon get sick of airline food!

On a slightly more serious note, the issue re-occurred this morning but was fixed with a Restart. Hmm. I'm beginning to suspect that Little Snitch is the culprit and I have at some point inadvertently created a rule and/or denied an important Apple connection attempt in frustration at the thousands that appear to be a routine part of the networking environment.

Last edited by andycap; 12/29/15 10:18 PM.
andycap #38030 12/29/15 10:28 PM

If a Little Snitch rule is your culprit your issue wouldn't be resolved by a restart.

If you like, though, you can try disabling LS by toggling it in its Preferences > General pane.

Pendragon #38031 12/29/15 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Andy, I suspect that your computer's HD file became corrupt, such that it thought you were in North America. Accordingly, it was spinning backwards. Once you logged out & back in, the HD reversed its spin and all was put to right. grin
In Australia, hard drives must be installed upside down.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
andycap #38083 01/01/16 06:18 PM

Andy, as this problem is not limited to Safari, I wonder if the User or OS is at fault. To wit, if you create a new User and log in as that, does the problem persist?

Also, when you last upgraded your OS, was it via the Incremantal or Combo method? Reinstalling the Combo often resolves assorted ills and almost never makes matters worse. IMNHO, it's worth a try.

Parenthetically, as a child, my wife spent a year in Western Australia, and has many fond memories of such. Well, maybe not of Witchitty grubs...😱

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #38084 01/01/16 11:26 PM
andycap Offline OP
OP Offline

Harv, this particular user is often at fault and not just at the keyboard shocked I have tried logging on as a guest user and this didn't solve the problem; I may be wrong but I have assumed that a guest user, which does not seem to have admin privileges, would be OK for this purpose. Logging out and back in from my account works, at least temporarily, which suggests to me that the log OUT process clears up the nexus but whatever I do after that creates it again! I visit Apple sites very rarely so I have resolved that, before I do, I'll log off and on. Besides, my new iPhone has arrived...

Regarding OS upgrades, I've always used the App Store update process. I've often read about installing Combo updates to solve issues but I don't think this one is serious enough for that. I wonder what will come after El Capitan - El Nino perhaps?

I'm a long way from Western Australia. Too hot, sandy and windy for me. Wichetty grubs are high protein indigenous snack food and I understand are only palatable if liberally smeared with Soy or Sweet Chilli sauce. Unless you were bushwacked, why on earth would you eat moth larvae? I sympathise with your wife if she was ever presented with one...

andycap #38085 01/01/16 11:38 PM

This sounds like it may be a cache issue, and since you haven't mentioned having addressed the possibility I'll suggest that you d/l OnyX (donationware) - Be certain to get the version that's appropriate for your version of OS X! - and run its cache clearing routine.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard