Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Getting from Word to JPEG
#3776 09/15/09 05:15 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

This is a "back to the drawing board" thread. I had asked about getting from Word to a PDF and, based on great guidance, was reaching an acceptable solution. However, my daughter and I just learned that it can't be a PDF but must be a JPEG.

Here's a revision of my original question:

My daughter has a business website and, on one page, she advertises events that she hosts. She needs to simplify the process of inserting the advertising (now done in a CMS) by uploading a JPEG.

The JPEG must be 680 pixels wide - length is not an issue.

The original layout would be done in Word. Layout would include text of various sizes, fonts and colours, some graphics and sometimes a multi-column numeric table.

What's the best route to get from a Word document to a JPEG, in the specified width of 680 pixels, conserving as much crispness and colour reciprocity as possible?

ryck

PS - Apologies to all.

Last edited by ryck; 09/15/09 05:34 PM. Reason: Clarification

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Getting from Word to JPEG
ryck #3783 09/15/09 06:04 PM

Do you have Photoshop?

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
ryck #3786 09/15/09 06:13 PM

Instead of using Word, or any word processor, she will get the best results using a graphic editor. I would use something like in order of increasing cost...
  1. The Drawing Module in NeoOffice 3
  2. Graphic Converter X
  3. Photoshop Elements
  4. Adobe Fireworks
All of these offer the ability to specify the image size in pixels and all but NeoOffice have specific functionality for optimizing jpeg images for use on the web. One of the things she has to be concerned with is the size of the finished file. JPEGs can easily become very large and very slow to load, thus the web optimization feature. FWIW Fireworks is the one I turn to first almost every time. It is fast, easy to use, and produces great results. However, it is probably overkill for your daughter's purposes. NeoOffice or even better Graphic Converter X would probably get the job done for her in good style.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #3788 09/15/09 06:47 PM

If she's comfortable working in Word, she can print her document to PDF, then open the PDF in Graphic Converter X (I've not used the other apps joemikeb mentions) adjust the image to the required pixel dimension, then save as a web-optimized jpeg.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
ryck #3807 09/15/09 10:53 PM

"print" as a PDF from Word (you're not really printing it; there really needs to be better nomenclature about the pdf dialog, but it's done from the Print window), open in Preview, and Save As a jpg from there.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
ryck #3874 09/16/09 09:45 PM

The notion of typing in Word, creating a PDF from the Word file, then using a program like Graphic Converter or Photoshop to turn the PDF into a JPEG is a good one.

However, JPEG is a bad choice. Use GIF instead. GIF is a standard picture format, just like JPEG, and will work just like JPEG, but will be higher quality.

There are important differences between GIF and JPEG that people who do anything on the Web should understand.

JPEG is a degraded image format, originally invented for situations where file size on disk is absolutely critical but image quality is not important. It makes files smaller by degrading the quality of the picture. This degradation is most severe along straight edges and hard lines. Things like linework, logos, and text should not be saved as JPEG; it was invented for photographs, whihc have few hard edges and little or no linework.

GIF is not a degraded format, but it is limited to no more than 256 colors. Once an image is reduced to 256 colors, all lines and edges are preserved with flawless crispness. Things like text and line work, which do not have lots of subtle shades of color, are exactly what GIF is good for.

In other words: If you save a Word file as a JPEG, the letters will be slightly blurred and distorted, and there will be artifacts around the edges of the letters. If you save a Word file as a GIF, the letters will be perfectly crisp and flawless.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #3900 09/17/09 01:38 AM

Better yet, use PNG instead of GIF for larger 256 color graphics (It's likely a smaller filesize than GIF) or 24-bit color if you really want to avoid jpg and don't mind larger file sizes. Jpg can be manageable if you setting the quality high enough (90+). PNG at 24-bit also supports full transparency under Safari, Firefox and IE 7+ wheres GIF only supports 1 color transparency.

Also check out ImageOptim for losslessly reducing the file size of JPGs PNGs and GIFs for the web.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
tacit #3913 09/17/09 04:01 AM

1) GIF is making the assumption that the file will be text-driven line art, or some other simple vector graphic. Many business folk unfortunately use Word for full layouts, including raster image placement. In those cases you wouldn't want to use GIF.

2) The OP said the CMS requires JPEG, so I'm not sure why GIF or PNG suggestions are better. If JPEG was just shorthand for a graphics file, then I agree re PNG.

3) If you're required to output to a strict pixel size, it may be a bit complicated and limiting to resize cleanly a design from an app like Word that doesn't work in pixels. So you'd want to practice to get a feel for what Word designs and dimensions work well in your resizing (be it Word -> PDF -> whatever). You'd also be best off with something like JMB's suggestions if you can afford it, or at least choosing Powerpoint over Word if you prefer to stick with Office, since at least PP can save as a graphic file without an intermediate step.

Keeper of the Magic Nickel
ryck #3940 09/17/09 05:42 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone for a lot of great suggestions. I don't own Photoshop but I do own GraphicConverter. However, at this point I'm stymied in it. I open the PDF as 300dpi but, as soon as I try to Scale using the 680 pixel width I get a grid over the page.

I've been in contact with Thorsten Lemke who kindly sent back a video of my specific need and it confirms that what I'm doing is correct.

So, before I can try any of the suggestions, I need to get to the bottom of my GraphicConverter problem. Could it be that something got corrupted when I went to Snow Leopard? Should I reinstall?

Once I do get back on the rails, here are the answers some of your questions:

1. My daughter's preference is to create in Word as she's most conversant in it. She then sends the file to me (we are in different cities) and I enter the information into her website.

2. I had been doing it with the CMS Editor but the Editor has now decided it doesn't care for Safari, and only sort of likes FireFox.

3. The Web company suggested simplifying the process by uploading a completed document. It can't be a PDF as it would require their intervention every time, so they suggested JPEG.

I have not yet asked about GIF but will right after this.

4. The likelihood of using a photograph is close to nil and any graphics will usually be simple. She creates her tables in Excel. Text will vary in size, font and colour.

5. I would like it to be as crisp as possible. To demonstrate the kind of message to upload I've created a dummy PDF that includes the types of elements that might be used.

Now, if someone can let me know how to attach it.....I can't find the "File Manager" or "Attachment Window".

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/17/09 05:43 PM. Reason: Grammar

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3942 09/17/09 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I open the PDF as 300dpi but, as soon as I try to Scale using the 680 pixel width I get a grid over the page

Assuming you are using a standard American 8.5"x11" format for your Word document, you should open the PDF in Graphic Converter using 80 ppi. That will give you a 680 pixel wide image. Then just save it as a .gif.

72 ppi is normal screen resolution, but the document will be smaller than your objective. I hope this helps.

freelance #3955 09/17/09 10:53 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: freelance

Assuming you are using a standard American 8.5"x11" format for your Word document, you should open the PDF in Graphic Converter using 80 ppi. That will give you a 680 pixel wide image. Then just save it as a .gif.

Thanks. I gave that a try and the pdf did open at 680 pixels using a resolution of 80. However, when I saved as a GIF, the width became 606 pixels.

There's also the matter of getting a grid.

Thorsten made a QuickTime movie and it was an easy three steps.
1. Open the PDF at 300.
2. Use Scale to set the width to 680 pixels
3. Save as a GIF.

However, when I hit Enter at the end of step 2, I get a 680 pixel wide PDF that has a grid. That's why I was wondering if GraphicConverter is not working correctly.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3956 09/17/09 11:11 PM

I followed Thorsten's instructions and it worked perfectly. No grid. I'm using GC 6.4.2.

You're right about my method, because when the gif file is made, CG changes the resolution to 72 ppi.

Trash any CG preferences to reset the app and see if the grid thing disappears?

freelance #3958 09/17/09 11:32 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Trash any CG preferences to reset the app and see if the grid thing disappears?

Actually I went a couple of steps further. I used CleanApp to uninstall GraphicConverter, downloaded a new one (V 6.5), and reinstalled.

I followed Thorsten's instructions and it worked perfectly.

I then tried your "open at 80" shortcut and it worked perfectly - which included saving the gif at 680 although the lettering appears sharper using Thorsten's method.

In my situation I wouldn't be able to use the shortcut anyway as the Word document gives me too much white space around the content. This is particularly an issue at the bottom. The final document is uploaded into a box that has a permanent RSVP button under it.

If there was a large piece of space it'd look goofy so I need to do the trim edit in GC first.

Anyway, it appears we have liftoff....and my daughter will be pleased.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 09/17/09 11:36 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #3959 09/17/09 11:36 PM

Well done! smile

ryck #3962 09/17/09 11:42 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

And, kudos to Thorsten Lemke who took the time to create a QuickTime movie to show me what needed to be done. You can't ask a software publisher for much better service than that.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
freelance #3973 09/18/09 05:43 AM

You're right about my method, because when the gif file is made, CG changes the resolution to 72 ppi.

Technically speaking, it doesn't; a GIF image has no resolution at all. Programs assign an arbitrary resolution to GIF images, but it makes no difference; a GIF is always displayed on a computer screen at one pixel in the GIF equals one pixel on the screen.

Resolution in pixels per inch only matters for printing. Since GIF images were never intended to be printed, the GIF format has no resolution.

tacit #3975 09/18/09 10:54 AM

I feel one of your philosophical rationales coming on! grin

A screen has resolution, 1920x1200 pixels in my case. Graphic Converter and Photoshop (well, ImageReady) both measure gifs by pixel dimensions on screen and the image certainly displaces area on my screen or on a web page.

Is this "technically speaking" rather than "for practical purposes"?

freelance #4013 09/19/09 04:33 AM

Is this "technically speaking" rather than "for practical purposes"?

The word "resolution" can have two meanings. It usually means "pixel resolution" (ie, how large each pixel is, usually measured in pixels per inch or pixels per centimeter) or "pixel dimensions".

A GIF image has pixel dimensions (for example, 300 pixels by 200 pixels) but no pixel resolution--there is no pixels per inch or dots per inch associated with a GIF file.

freelance #4138 09/21/09 05:28 PM

Some image formats (not jpeg or gif... png and tiff for example) can bundle resolution information in DPI (dots per inch) in the image. For example, you may go to an astronomy web site and download a 4mb png that only displays on your monitor as a 400x300 window. The image has been scaled down so it's shown at the resolution the picture was taken at, even though the image may 2000x1500 pixels in size. In that case, every block of 5x5 pixels is being represented by one pixel on your screen.

This has the advantage of being able to zoom in (magnify) the picture several steps without it going blocky.

If an image has DPI information in it, then the viewing app uses that in combination with the resolution setting of your display (and it's DPI) to display the image at the correct "life size". If the monitor's current resolution works out to 100DPI, and the image is recorded in 200DPI resolution, then every one pixel on the screen comes from two in the image.

Many apps are not DPI aware, and will just assume that every one dot in the image equates to one dot on the screen. This causes problems when trying to get images to show up right on screen or printer, leading to things like pictures that display full screen on the monitor and yet show up as a 1"x1" thumbnail on the printer..

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #5880 11/17/09 05:56 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Revisiting this challenge…..here's what I've been doing.

1. Create document in Word on a custom page size.

2. Print to PDF

3. Open PDF in Graphic Converter at 600 pixels resolution.

4. Trim excess white.

5. Resize to 608 pixels and save as GIF.

This has been working although I'm still not too crazy about the final product either in text sharpness or graphic rendition. I am going to be able to resize the PDF to 670 pixels so I'm assuming that should assist with both.

Two questions:

1. The PDF that gets resized starts out about 4000 pixels wide. Am I better off to try to reduce that width, by starting with a much narrower Word document, and simply endure having to squint?

2. Graphic Converter obviously has a lot of horsepower but I don't have the knowledge to tap into it. Is there something in GC that would assist in enhancing the GIF?

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #5881 11/17/09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

5. Resize to 608 pixels and save as GIF.

This has been working although I'm still not too crazy about the final product either in text sharpness or graphic rendition.

If the graphic rendition looks poor save it as a jpeg instead and don't lower the jpeg quality setting too low.

iMac 2.7 GHz Core i5, 12 GB RAM, OS X 10.9, Int SATA 1 TB, Ext Fire 2 TB / 1 TB / 1 TB / 500 GB / 300 GB
Former MacFixIt Forums member since 11/17/99
www.rhubarbproductions.com
ryck #5883 11/17/09 09:56 PM

I concur with Kevin's recommendation of using jpeg rather than GIF but if I may, I would suggest a slight modification in your process.
  1. Create the PDF just as you have been doing
  2. Open the PDF in Graphic Converter, but don't concern yourself with the resolution because you are going to discard most of it anyway and extra resolution at this point is unlikely to improve the final product.
  3. Trim the document only if you need to
  4. On the Menu bar select File > Save for web
    1. Take all the options including reduce to 72 ppi because that is the resolution of computer monitors
    2. "Scale the longest side to" 670 or whatever width you wish it to have on the website
    3. Select "Sharpen" and play with the percentage until you achieve what you are looking for
    4. Now at the top of the GC "Save for Web" window, slide the "Quality" slider to the left until just before the image begins to degrade.
  5. Whether or not you select "Progressive" is up to you and how you want the image to appear to load on the web site.
  6. Click the "OK" button to save your image.
This should yield a jpg file that is optimized for both loading speed and appearence on the web.

You could do the same thing with Photoshop Elements 8, Fireworks CS4, or Photoshop CS4 that cost between $100 and $1,000, and about the only difference you would see in either the process or the results is you would be able to compare PNG, GIF, and JPG versions before exporting to you r chosen format.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #5889 11/18/09 09:10 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you joemike, and thanks Kevin. I'll give this a try.

ryck

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #5902 11/18/09 07:13 PM

of course TIFF and PNG are even better for preserving sharpness since they're not compressed. (well, not by defaults anyway)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #5919 11/19/09 02:15 AM

You say that you "Open the PDF in Graphic Converter at 600 pixels resolution" and then "Resize to 608 pixels and save as GIF." I'm not clear on what exactly you mean here. In particular, "open at 600 pixels resolution" doesn't parse. Do you mean "open at 600 pixels per inch" or "open at 600 pixels wide"?

If you email me a sample Word file, i can generate a GIF or a JPEG at the best image quality you're likely to be able to get, and you can then compare that to the results you're getting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard