Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Safari Can't Open the Page
#37697 12/09/15 03:45 AM
OP Offline

Hi:

I have a site I go to occasionally (mountainroseherbs.com). Now I am getting the message shown above in the subject line. I tried Firefox and have no problems. I can go to their blog mountainroseblog.com and open it fine, but when I click on their mountainroseherbs link in the blog or just type it into my address line, it doesn't work in Safari.

Any ideas? Strange. I do not want to upgrade Safari nor do I want to reset Safari.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Safari Can't Open the Page
plantsower #37698 12/09/15 05:20 AM

Hi, Rita,

In Safari 5.1.10 (in Snowy) I can access your website, but before I do I have to get past this.

If it has something to do with your problem somebody else will have to explain why.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37699 12/09/15 05:24 AM
OP Offline

Hi Artie:

I've gotten that message occasionally with other sites but not with mountainroseherbs. I can't figure why it's happening now and only with Safari.

Thanks for looking into it, though.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #37700 12/09/15 07:13 AM

It looks like earlier today they had an invalid security certificate, but as of 12:13 AM on December 9, when I tried it, it's been fixed. That was probably the problem. Are you still encountering difficulties.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #37708 12/09/15 04:44 PM
OP Offline

Yes, still having the problem. I just tried it and cannot connect via Safari but can do so via Firefox which I only use when something like this happens.Thanks.

Rita

Originally Posted By: tacit
It looks like earlier today they had an invalid security certificate, but as of 12:13 AM on December 9, when I tried it, it's been fixed. That was probably the problem. Are you still encountering difficulties.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #37709 12/09/15 05:06 PM

Security certificate is still invalid as per my Safari 5.1.10, but dunno what-all it means.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
plantsower #37712 12/09/15 06:22 PM

Opened OK for me, but I am using Safari 9.0.2. with OS X 10.10

I see you are in 10.9 with an old version of Safari. There can be issues with the web page that an your version of Safari cannot handle.

Why do you not want to upgrade Safari (only)?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #37713 12/09/15 06:38 PM
OP Offline

I don't want to upgrade because it seems every time I do I lose a feature that I like. The last time I upgraded I lost the feature that would automatically fill in forms that otherwise couldn't be filled in automatically. Now I don't have that. Some forms will be filled in, but others not. I really miss that feature. Artie has an older version than myself and he can get in. I just don't get it, Ira. I emptied my cache to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

Ria

Originally Posted By: Ira L

I see you are in 10.9 with an old version of Safari. There can be issues with the web page that an your version of Safari cannot handle.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #37717 12/09/15 11:40 PM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I don't want to upgrade because it seems every time I do I lose a feature that I like.

I am totally up to date with my OS and Safari but still sometimes will come to a page that doesn't like Safari. I work around that by having another browser open the page while I am at the page in Safari.

You need to use the "Develop" menu. This menu is normally hidden but is easy to put into the menu bar and just as easy to use.

1. First, open Safari's Preferences (under Safari in the menu bar).
2. Click the 'Advanced' tab (Icon on the far right).
3. At the bottom of the window is 'Show Develop menu in menu bar.' Check it.

Then the heading "Develop" will appear on the menu bar between "Bookmarks" and "Window"

The first choice under Develop is "Open Page With".

If you have another browser(s) installed on your drive you can open the problem page with one of them. You will still have Safari open and, once you're done at that page, you quit the other browser and carry on with Safari.

I have Firefox and Chrome installed on my drive. Their only purpose is to deal with pages that balk at Safari.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
plantsower #37720 12/10/15 04:08 AM
OP Offline

Hi Ryck:

I already had "Develop" up on my toolbar but didn't know about the feature you just told me about. That is so helpful! Thanks. That's so much better than taking the time to open Firefox and loading it up and then finding the page. This worked instantly!!! Yippee! I've only used Develop to empty cache and to disable javascript when a webpage won't let me highlight and copy any of the content. Now I can do this. Thanks again.

Rita

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I don't want to upgrade because it seems every time I do I lose a feature that I like. The last time I upgraded I lost the feature that would automatically fill in forms that otherwise couldn't be filled in automatically. Now I don't have that. Some forms will be filled in, but others not. I really miss that feature. Artie has an older version than myself and he can get in. I just don't get it, Ira. I emptied my cache to see if that would make a difference but it didn't.

Ria

Originally Posted By: Ira L

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #37722 12/10/15 08:37 AM

Another trick from the Developer menu is to click User Agent. That gives you a choice of browsers that Safari will imitate. In other words, Safari tricks the site into thinking that it's a different browser (for example, Internet Explorer). You may have to refresh the page to see if it works.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #37723 12/10/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Another trick from the Developer menu is to click User Agent. That gives you a choice of browsers that Safari will imitate. In other words, Safari tricks the site into thinking that it's a different browser (for example, Internet Explorer). You may have to refresh the page to see if it works.

FYI the reason that works is that some web pages serve different html to you depending on what browser you're using, usually in an attempt to work around bugs either in their web page or your browser. That usually works well initially, but months go by and browsers get updates and suddenly that "fix" they customized for your browser (a hack of a fix) stops working, and the original html will now work instead. But the web site continues to send you the hacked html so the page doesn't work right. If you lie to the site and tell it you're not using that browser anymore, it stops sending you the hacked code and things will look right. And you may have to do that for awhile with that site, until they figure out they can turn off that browser-specific hack.

(also a lot of web sites now serve up a very lightweight version of their page if they see you are using a mobile browser for iOS or android etc, you can sometimes change the agent there to get the full page if the lightweight one is lacking something you need to see - you can also FLIP this behavior and see the lightweight page from a desktop in most cases by prefixing the url with "m.", which is what the web server normally redirects the mobile users to if it detects them)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #37724 12/10/15 02:44 PM

Very informative, V1. Thanks for posting this.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #37726 12/10/15 03:46 PM

Another trick from the Developer menu is to click User Agent. That gives you a choice of browsers that Safari will imitate.

I didn't know about that trick. I'll give it a try next time I bump into a problem page. Good one….thanks.

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
FYI the reason that works is….

And thanks for the explanation.

Last edited by ryck; 12/10/15 03:48 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #37727 12/10/15 04:18 PM
OP Offline

I love that trick. Thanks! I'm learning so much.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #37728 12/10/15 04:20 PM
OP Offline

Thank you. More great info. So helpful.

Rita

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

FYI the reason that works is that some web pages serve different html to you depending on what browser you're using, usually in an attempt to work around bugs either in their web page or your browser. That usually works well initially, but months go by and browsers get updates and suddenly that "fix" they customized for your browser (a hack of a fix) stops working, and the original html will now work instead. But the web site continues to send you the hacked html so the page doesn't work right. If you lie to the site and tell it you're not using that browser anymore, it stops sending you the hacked code and things will look right. And you may have to do that for awhile with that site, until they figure out they can turn off that browser-specific hack.

(also a lot of web sites now serve up a very lightweight version of their page if they see you are using a mobile browser for iOS or android etc, you can sometimes change the agent there to get the full page if the lightweight one is lacking something you need to see - you can also FLIP this behavior and see the lightweight page from a desktop in most cases by prefixing the url with "m.", which is what the web server normally redirects the mobile users to if it detects them)

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

ryck #37729 12/10/15 04:52 PM

Why Safari fails to load or run properly in Safari can be complicated. I have had success "fixing" balky sites by turning off extensions. Turning off extensions in older versions of Safari was on the standard menu bar but in Safari 9 that has been moved to the Develop Menu Ryck mentioned previously.

If turning off the extensions works, you can disable them one at a time in Safari > Preferences > Extensionsons until the offender is identified.

The settings for Cookies can also cause problems with a few web sites.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #37730 12/10/15 05:41 PM
OP Offline

Hi: I just tried turning off extensions and it didn't work. I didn't mess with cookies but under the Develop Menu using Open page with (FireFox) works great.

Rita

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Why Safari fails to load or run properly in Safari can be complicated. I have had success "fixing" balky sites by turning off extensions. Turning off extensions in older versions of Safari was on the standard menu bar but in Safari 9 that has been moved to the Develop Menu Ryck mentioned previously.

If turning off the extensions works, you can disable them one at a time in Safari > Preferences > Extensionsons until the offender is identified.

The settings for Cookies can also cause problems with a few web sites.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

joemikeb #37734 12/10/15 09:08 PM

I can't imagine what Apple was thinking when they hid the On/Off switch, but be that as it may, I've been almost universally successful at resolving this sort of problem by turning Ghostery off right from my toolbar as a first step.

Last edited by artie505; 12/10/15 09:08 PM. Reason: Correct bar

artie505 #37745 12/11/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I can't imagine what Apple was thinking when they hid the On/Off switch, but be that as it may, I've been almost universally successful at resolving this sort of problem by turning Ghostery off right from my toolbar as a first step.

Apple has an OCD for simplifying interfaces, mainly in the interest of improving aesthetics. Often it adds inconvenience for a few, but occasionally for many.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #37746 12/11/15 12:53 PM

Well said. Thanks. smile

artie505 #37750 12/11/15 07:51 PM
OP Offline

Artie: My Ghostery is ghosted out (LOL) on my toolbar on some sites, including the one I mentioned that won't load up. So I can't turn it off from there. I have to go into prefs. It's a pain. It seems to work on this site just fine. I didn't even know I could turn it off from the toolbar, so thanks for that.

Rita

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #37767 12/12/15 11:01 AM

I just visited your site, and Ghostery showed 5 items blocked.

I don't know why it's ghosted ( tongue ) out anywhere. Have you got the latest version?

artie505 #37778 12/12/15 05:02 PM
OP Offline

Hi:

I believe I have the latest one for Safari - Ghostery 5.4.8.1. I saw a 5.4.8.9 version for Firefox but that's it.

Rita

I just visited your site, and Ghostery showed 5 items blocked.

I don't know why it's ghosted ( tongue ) out anywhere. Have you got the latest version?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #37779 12/12/15 05:04 PM

It occurs to me the later releases of Ghostery (and very likely other extensions) may have compatibility issues with an older version of Safari such as the one plantsowner is using?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard