FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: external clone won't boot
jchuzi #37558 12/03/15 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Jon
BTW, the surgery went well and she is very pleased.

Been there, done that, happy to hear that all is well. smile cool

I had my left eye done when I was 53, but my right eye didn't need doing until I was 59, both of which were unusually young ages for the surgery, but WOW! what a difference after living with growing cataracts for three years each.

Edit: Is Get Backup Pro El Cap ready? The latest version on MacUpdate and your linked review are both dated Dec. 2014.

Last edited by artie505; 12/03/15 11:15 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37559 12/03/15 11:28 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Read post #5 in this Techsurvivors forum. Apparently, it works in EC.

Last edited by jchuzi; 12/03/15 11:29 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #37560 12/03/15 11:40 AM

El Cap is so different from Yosemite that you'd think the app would require at least some updating, but let's see.

Edit: The dev's web page confirms El Cap ready.

Edit 2: There's a free Lite version that you may want to try. (Scroll down.)

Last edited by artie505; 12/03/15 12:07 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37571 12/03/15 04:59 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
Have you ever sent your SD log to Nanian for examination?
He said that it wasn't helpful. He did suggest, however, that I try booting from the clone in verbose mode. The only problem is that I don't know what to look for when all those (incomprehensible) messages appear.

Can anyone enlighten me? V1 maybe? Any other experts out there?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #37577 12/03/15 07:46 PM

I think you're looking for the last message before boot fails, but you may need to have your camera ready to record it.

artie505 #37586 12/03/15 11:25 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I haven't tried verbose mode, but I did succeed in getting a clone to boot. I installed a SSD drive into my USB 3 dock and cloned, not with SuperDuper, but with Carbon Copy Cloner (trial version). The clone booted without incident. I'll tell Dave Nanian but I don't know what he'll make of it. Looks like I'm going to buy CCC.

Jon

jchuzi #37587 12/03/15 11:34 PM

I'm a happy (totally unaffiliated) CCC user, and I believe that Mike Bombich has done a better job of keeping on top of recent substantive changes in OS X than Dave Nanian has.

Edit: It seems to me, though, that there's a ganbustein post somewhere that favors SD.

Last edited by artie505; 12/03/15 11:35 PM.
artie505 #37595 12/04/15 08:46 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Dave Nanian thinks that the SSD would have booted if I had used SD. I can't imagine why a SSD would boot in the USB 3 dock but a conventional HDD would not. Still, I'm going to experiment.

1. The trouble started after I upgraded from Yosemite to El Cap. I use a conventional HDD in a Thunderbolt - USB 3 enclosure. I will (when I have some time) erase that clone and re-clone with CCC.

2. I will also erase the SSD clone (made with CCC) and re-clone with SD.

When I have results, I'll post back.

BTW, I was impressed with CCC. I haven't used it for many years and I was particularly pleased that it creates a recovery partition, which SD does not. I haven't explored all its features but it looks good so far.

Jon

jchuzi #37596 12/04/15 09:05 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, SuperDuper has dropped from $40 to $28 since CCC went from donationware to $40.

artie505 #37597 12/04/15 10:01 AM

I'm a happy (totally unaffiliated) CCC user, and I believe that Mike Bombich has done a better job of keeping on top of recent substantive changes in OS X than Dave Nanian has.

Edit: It seems to me, though, that there's a ganbustein post somewhere that favors SD.

Found it, but it concerns OS X Lion...too old to be pertinent.

artie505 #37598 12/04/15 10:35 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Unless I'm mistaken, SuperDuper has dropped from $40 to $28 since CCC went from donationware to $40.
It's $40 and worth the price.

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
1. The trouble started after I upgraded from Yosemite to El Cap. I use a conventional HDD in a Thunderbolt - USB 3 enclosure. I will (when I have some time) erase that clone and re-clone with CCC.
I just did this and the clone booted without incident. I ran some tasks with it and all seems well. However, CCC reported that it had lost connection with the clone when it offered to make a recovery partition. This didn't happen with the SSD clone made with CCC.

2. I will also erase the SSD clone (made with CCC) and re-clone with SD.
I may or may not try this. Everything seems to be working so, if it isn't broken, I won't fix it.

Jon

jchuzi #37599 12/04/15 10:52 AM

It's $40 and worth the price.

Nope! For a while, now.

I just did this and the clone booted without incident. I ran some tasks with it and all seems well. However, CCC reported that it had lost connection with the clone when it offered to make a recovery partition. This didn't happen with the SSD clone made with CCC.

That sounds like you ought to report it. Mike Bombich is pretty good about responding.

artie505 #37601 12/04/15 12:32 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I paid $40! mad

I used the dialog box that opened when I launched CCC. Oh well, win some, lose some. Some days you're the dog, some days you're the tree.

I will follow your suggestion about reporting this to Mike Bombich.

Jon

jchuzi #37610 12/04/15 03:48 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Update: Bombich Software sent instructions about resolving the recovery partition issue and linked me to Cloning Apple's Recovery HD partition. Problem solved!

I must say that I am very impressed with CCC, its interface, and its tech support.

Jon

artie505 #37618 12/05/15 05:48 AM
Banned
Banned

The $28 price for SuperDuper! has been in effect for quite a while. I was originally using SuperDuper! in "demo/free" mode for a number of months, but about 5 or 6 months ago, I just went ahead and purchased it. The paid version certainly runs faster! (It also has some other features that I have not needed to use, so far).

Now, I had previously posted 1) my on going success with SuperDuper! (including working flawlessly with El Capitan (OS 10.11.1)), and 2) that SuperDuper! does not back up the Recovery Partition, whereas Carbon Copy Cloner does.

Regarding that Recovery Partition, with a SuperDuper! bootable backup, if a complete recovery is ever needed, after booting the SuperDuper! backup, there would be 2 ways to proceed:

1. Use Disk Utility to Erase and Format (and if necessary, partition) the drive with the issue. Then, use SuperDuper! to do a full restore of everything. The Recovery Partition would not be there.

2. Use Disk Utility to Erase and Format (and if necessary, partition) the drive with the issue. Then, so a fresh installation of the OS. Next, boot from that fresh installation, and use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all the non-system stuff from the SuperSuper! backup. The Recovery Partition would be there.

For #1, there is a nifty, free little "program" called "Recovery Partition Creator 3.8" that can be used to re-create the Recovery Partition. Here is a link that discusses it, and also where one can download it:

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2014/07/recovery-partition-creator-3-8/

I did use twice when I was using Yosemite, and it worked. But, when I "moved" from Yosemite (10.10.5) to El Capitan (10.11.1), I followed #2 above. (I have also needed to do such a full recovery on two other occasions, and by following #2 above, it worked perfectly).

As it is, whenever I do such a recovery (whether #1 or #2), I still have to use TechTool Pro to re-create its convenient eDrive partition.

honestone #37621 12/05/15 08:42 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Thanks for that info, honestone.

Disk Warrior also allows another way of recovering. DW comes on a USB thumb drive. After installing DW, you have the option of creating the equivalent of a recovery partition on the thumb drive that not only has all the utilities of Apple's recovery partition, but also has an installation of DW. You can then boot from the thumb drive to do everything that the Apple recovery partition does, plus run DW.

Jon

jchuzi #37624 12/05/15 11:38 AM

SuperDuper must have taken a big hit over its inability to clone recovery partitions; it was after that became an issue that its price dropped.

artie505 #37626 12/05/15 04:51 PM
Banned
Banned

SuperDuper must have taken a big hit over its inability to clone recovery partitions; it was after that became an issue that its price dropped.

I actually don't remember any "mention" of that. But, as I pointed out above, the Recovery Partition can be easily recreated.

Also, for those folks that use Carbon Copy Cloner, a new version, V 4.1.6, came out a couple of days ago.

jchuzi #37627 12/05/15 04:54 PM
Banned
Banned

Thanks for that info, honestone.

Disk Warrior also allows another way of recovering. DW comes on a USB thumb drive. After installing DW, you have the option of creating the equivalent of a recovery partition on the thumb drive that not only has all the utilities of Apple's recovery partition, but also has an installation of DW. You can then boot from the thumb drive to do everything that the Apple recovery partition does, plus run DW.

Thanks! I am aware of that. I actually have the prior version of that excellent software. If I do need to use it, I just boot my machine from the (most recent) Super Duper! backup, and run DW from there. A little inconvenient, but since TechTool Pro works so well, I don't need to do it often.

Last edited by honestone; 12/05/15 04:55 PM.
honestone #37630 12/05/15 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: honestone
Thanks! I am aware of that. I actually have the prior version of that excellent software. If I do need to use it, I just boot my machine from the (most recent) Super Duper! backup, and run DW from there. A little inconvenient, but since TechTool Pro works so well, I don't need to do it often.

I use TechTool Pro 8's ProToGo to create a bootable image on a thumb drive and use it. It offers more configuration options than Drive Genius similar offering.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
honestone #37633 12/05/15 08:54 PM

I actually don't remember any "mention" of that. But, as I pointed out above, the Recovery Partition can be easily recreated.

Yup, it was a big issue when Lion and the first recovery partition hit the shelves.

I wouldn't call a clean install followed by restoring from a clone, your method for easily recreating a recovery partition, easy at all; in fact, I'd call it quite burdensome.

Which is likely why SuperDuper has taken such a hit.

artie505 #37635 12/05/15 10:34 PM
Banned
Banned

Yup, it was a big issue when Lion and the first recovery partition hit the shelves.

I wouldn't call a clean install followed by restoring from a clone, your method for easily recreating a recovery partition, easy at all; in fact, I'd call it quite burdensome.

Which is likely why SuperDuper has taken such a hit.

That depends on how one defines burdensome. Yes, CCC is more convenient regarding the Recovery Partition. However, I have better much better disk maintenance tools than Disk Utility (TechTool Pro and Disk Warrior), plus if I do need to reinstall the OS (OS 10.11.1, in my case), I would first boot to the SuperDuper! backup first, then proceed with my #2 "method" I mentioned above. It would thus get created in that case, although I actually do not need the Recovery Partition (I don't do anything "in the cloud" either). Of course, I could follow my #1 approach and use the nifty software Recovery Partition Creator. That second approach does not take very long at all.

In fact, I am willing to bet that when does a restore from a CCC backup/clone, it must go through a similar step in terms of partitioning the drive, and then just "place" the software from the backed up Recovery Partition there. For either the OS installation doing that, or using Recovery Partition Creator, I don't believe it would take that much longer (nor be a huge burden).

In any event, it works just fine for my needs.

Last edited by honestone; 12/05/15 11:45 PM.
joemikeb #37637 12/05/15 11:49 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I use TechTool Pro 8's ProToGo to create a bootable image on a thumb drive and use it. It offers more configuration options than Drive Genius similar offering.

Hmm, another interesting approach that I was not aware of. As it is, I can either use the eDrive, or boot from the SuperDuper! backup, run TechTool Pro from there, and have it take care of my internal SSD. I actually have those same options with my MacBook Air while I am traveling, as I have a nice slim, external drive, and I always make a SuperDuper! backup of the stuff on my Air to a partition on that drive.

honestone #37644 12/06/15 10:41 AM

In any event, it works just fine for my needs.

Which, in the end, is all that matters. wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard