for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How inviolate are volumes/partitions?
#37208 11/16/15 01:52 PM
OP Offline

In another post (thread 37181), joemike noted: “…Apple does not recommend putting the Time Machine backups on a drive with any other files. Not even if you put the Time Machine data set in a separate partition.”

That caught my attention as I thought partitions were inviolate. And if they are not inviolate, can it also be that different volumes are likewise not inviolate?

And to make matters worse, is the answer dependent on whether the drive is spinning or SSD?

Clearly, I am confused. So please, any info/clarification will be appreciated.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: How inviolate are volumes/partitions?
Pendragon #37216 11/16/15 04:09 PM

They are. The information on one partition doesn't know or care what's on another.

I suspect the reasoning is more about backup reliability and speed, and less about any kind of problem with combining Time Machine data and other data.

Backup reliability: Backup storage devices should not be used for day to day operations, or they may fail when you need them most. hey should be used as little as possible to maximize their lifespan.

Speed: If you are reading from or writing to the TM drive while a TM backup is running, that may impact the speed of the backup, even if you're reading from or writing to a different partition on the drive.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #37220 11/16/15 08:29 PM
OP Offline

Many thanks, Tacit. Good info, indeed. Though it does seem odd that speed and/or reliability would be affected to the extent that caution is called for. To me, it smacks of the rationale that if you don't use your drive it will last longer and be more relaible. confused

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #37224 11/16/15 09:25 PM

Here is joemike's response to your question.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37225 11/16/15 10:38 PM
OP Offline

Thanks, Artie.

I may be beginning to understand and appreciate the nuances here, but only with respect to SSDs (I still don't see the problem with spinning drives).

I don't doubt the counsel is sound, it's only that I would be uncomfortable explaining all this to others. And to me, that is a clue is clue that my understanding ain't really what it ought to be...

Harv

artie505 #37226 11/17/15 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Here is joemike's response to your question.

Really? I had originally thought about tacking my question onto Pendragon's thread until I realized my question wasn't the same. I ask about adding files to a Time Machine drive without being in a separate partition. i.e. the Time Machine data and the other files are in the same partition. I assumed that, without the barrier of a partition, the problem might be more serious.

Last edited by ryck; 11/17/15 03:08 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #37227 11/17/15 07:26 AM

Quoting ryck: "Really?"

Actually, joemike's post in your thread doesn't specifically deal with your question; it only specifically addresses your intro, which is more or less Harv's question.

Originally Posted By: ryck
In another post joemike noted: “…Apple does not recommend putting the Time Machine backups on a drive with any other files. Not even if you put the Time Machine data set in a separate partition."

I assume this means files that share the drive on an ongoing basis. What does it mean for files that are temporarily stored on a Time Machine drive, not in a separate partition? (Emphasis added)

Originally Posted By: Harv
In another post (thread 37181), joemike noted: “…Apple does not recommend putting the Time Machine backups on a drive with any other files. Not even if you put the Time Machine data set in a separate partition.”

That caught my attention as I thought partitions were inviolate. (Emphasis added)

Originally Posted By: joemike
That is Apple's recommendation and I have always "understood" the reason was primarily to leave as much space free on the Time Machine disk as possible to avoid backups falling off the back end of the set prematurely! (Emphasis added)

On the other hand, though, tacit has specifically addressed your question in this thread...

Originally Posted By: tacit
I suspect the reasoning is more about backup reliability and speed, and less about any kind of problem with combining Time Machine data and other data.

Last edited by artie505; 11/17/15 09:23 AM. Reason: Add quotes

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #37228 11/17/15 07:37 AM

That caught my attention as I thought partitions were inviolate. And if they are not inviolate, can it also be that different volumes are likewise not inviolate?

Unless I'm mistaken, Harv, you've got a nomenclature issue going there: a partition is a volume.

Edit:
I may be beginning to understand and appreciate the nuances here, but only with respect to SSDs (I still don't see the problem with spinning drives).

I don't follow your differentiation between SSDs and HDDs as respects the issue.

Last edited by artie505; 11/17/15 07:43 AM.

Pendragon #37234 11/17/15 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Thanks, Artie.

I don't doubt the counsel is sound, it's only that I would be uncomfortable explaining all this to others. And to me, that is a clue is clue that my understanding ain't really what it ought to be…

As far as Time Machine or OS X (and the same is true for Windows, Ubuntu, Unix, etc.) is concerned they see exactly the same logical drive regardless of whether the drive is a rotating media HD or an SSD. The intelligence/firmware in the drive itself is specifically designed to make the physical layout of data on the drive as well as the actual storage media invisible to the operating system and therefore to applications. That is the principal function of the IDE/PATA/SATA interface.

The OS views Fusion Drives and even multi-drive RAID arrays as having the same logical structure as a single HD or SSD but there is an additional layer of abstraction either in software or hardware required to make that happen.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #37248 11/18/15 11:35 AM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
Thanks, Artie.

I don't doubt the counsel is sound, it's only that I would be uncomfortable explaining all this to others. And to me, that is a clue is clue that my understanding ain't really what it ought to be…

As far as Time Machine or OS X (and the same is true for Windows, Ubuntu, Unix, etc.) is concerned they see exactly the same logical drive regardless of whether the drive is a rotating media HD or an SSD. The intelligence/firmware in the drive itself is specifically designed to make the physical layout of data on the drive as well as the actual storage media invisible to the operating system and therefore to applications. That is the principal function of the IDE/PATA/SATA interface.

The OS views Fusion Drives and even multi-drive RAID arrays as having the same logical structure as a single HD or SSD but there is an additional layer of abstraction either in software or hardware required to make that happen.

That explanation, joemike, helped a lot. Progress has been made.

In a way, this reminds me of quantum physics-- I understand it (pretty much, sorta) when working at it. But should I return to the issue in a few weeks, a cerebral restart is required.

Harv

artie505 #37254 11/18/15 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Unless I'm mistaken, Harv, you've got a nomenclature issue going there: a partition is a volume.

Not sure if splitting hairs here or if I'm using it wrong, but I've always assumed a volume is a data partition, like one formatted HFS/NTFS/FAT32. Other types could be "Free", "drivers", etc. OS 9 had typically around 9 different partitions on any given drive, only one was the Macintosh HD. The others were the drivers needed for the older machines to boot the drive. Macintosh HD may be on partition disk0s8 for example. Also, technically, the entire device is a partition too. It's the first partition on the drive, which describes itself.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard