FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Expensive Urine?
#37148 11/13/15 03:11 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

These television reports are quite eye-opening.

Although the programs are about the issue in Canada, I assume the problem is similar in other countries. For example, in the United States the FDA does not have to approve dietary supplements prior to sale, and supplements don't get the kind of testing applied to prescription drugs.

I liked the comment of one reader who said his Doctor described vitamins and herbals as only being good for making expensive urine.

Last edited by ryck; 11/13/15 03:12 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Expensive Urine?
ryck #37150 11/13/15 03:42 PM

It's good to see that the benefits of snake oil are still appreciated (with apologies to my two pet snakes).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #37151 11/13/15 04:03 PM

The easy rule of thumb with vitamins and supplements is "the body only uses what it needs, and discards the rest, there is no benefit to a surplus". Also, it's possible to overdose on them. The most famous of these is "eskimos don't eat polar bear liver". Because they would suffer from and possibly die of Hypervitaminosis. (in this case, toxic levels of Vitamine C)

Does make a person wonder, why a polar bear's liver holds onto so much of the stuff?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #37153 11/13/15 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
The easy rule of thumb with vitamins and supplements is "the body only uses what it needs, and discards the rest, there is no benefit to a surplus". Also, it's possible to overdose on them. The most famous of these is "eskimos don't eat polar bear liver". Because they would suffer from and possibly die of Hypervitaminosis. (in this case, toxic levels of Vitamine C)

Does make a person wonder, why a polar bear's liver holds onto so much of the stuff?

Actually it is Vitamin A, specifically retinol, which binds with fat and may be why polar bears have high levels—lots of fat. A single ounce of polar bear liver—the size of a golf ball, or a healthy size bite—has over five times the amount of Vitamin A considered toxic for humans.

In "Dances with Wolves" Kevin Costner takes a liver bite from his first kill, but that was a buffalo.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Virtual1 #37154 11/13/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Wrong. And wrong.

Eskimo is long since considered a derogatory term. We don't use it north of the 49th. You can check the Apple Dictionary:
ORIGIN via French Esquimaux, possibly from Spanish esquimao, esquimal, from Montagnais ayas̆kimew ‘person who laces a snowshoe,’ probably applied first to the Micmac and later to the Eskimo.
Usage: In recent years, Eskimo has come to be regarded as offensive because of one of its possible etymologies (Abnaki askimo ‘eater of raw meat’), but this descriptive name is accurate since Eskimos traditionally derived their vitamins from eating raw meat. This dictionary gives another possible etymology above, but the etymological problem is still unresolved.
The peoples inhabiting the regions from northwestern Canada to western Greenland call themselves Inuit, but in the US, Eskimo is the only term that can be properly applied to all of the peoples as a whole, and it is still widely used in anthropological and archaeological contexts. The broader term Native American is sometimes used to refer to Eskimo and Aleut peoples.

Polar bear liver contains toxic levels of vitamin A — not C, which is water-soluble and therefore can rarely reach toxic levels in humans under any conditions. All of the fat-souble vitamins (such as A and D) can build up in fatty tissue to the point of toxicity. That said, it's extremely difficult to have hypervitaminosis D; on the contrary most Northerners are deficient in vitamin D, which in turn has deleterious effects on any number of body systems.

grelber #37156 11/13/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Eskimo is long since considered a derogatory term.

Inuit or Eskimo? | Alaska Native Language Center

Quote:
Although the name "Eskimo" is commonly used in Alaska to refer to all Inuit and Yupik people of the world, this name is considered derogatory in many other places because it was given by non-Inuit people and was said to mean "eater of raw meat." (Emphasis added)

and

Quote:
Most Alaskans continue to accept the name "Eskimo," particularly because "Inuit" refers only to the Inupiat of northern Alaska, the Inuit of Canada, and the Kalaallit of Greenland, and it is not a word in the Yupik languages of Alaska and Siberia.

So outside of "because", there doesn't appear to be much reason to not use "Eskimo".

In view of the fact that Eskimos apparently embrace the term, it looks like just another instance of PC for the sake of PC.

Last edited by artie505; 11/13/15 05:40 PM. Reason: Less

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37157 11/13/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
In view of the fact that the Eskimos apparently embrace the term, it looks like just another instance of PC for the sake of PC.

Not in Canada, they don't! They take major offense to the term, much as other aboriginals do to names "assigned" to them.
In Canada, we use Inuit, as well as terms such as aboriginal (not used in the derogatory sense of "Abo" in Australia), indigenous and first nations. And the term Indian is by and large used only for those from India.

grelber #37158 11/13/15 05:51 PM

Not in Canada, they don't!

"Not in Canada" is precisely where V1 comes from.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #37159 11/13/15 06:00 PM

Not in Canada, they don't!

"Not in Canada" is precisely where V1 comes from.

What's your point?!
The issue evolved into a discussion of nomenclature, not an issue of where one originates (be it a corn field or a bayou or downtown Manhattan).

grelber #37161 11/13/15 06:15 PM

What's your point?!

That you more or less jumped down V1's throat from across the border with a value that originates and lives across the border.

artie505 #37168 11/13/15 10:00 PM

What's your point?!

That you more or less jumped down V1's throat from across the border with a value that originates and lives across the border.

Sorry that you view it that way. I had no intention of jumping down anyone's throat, only to provide some information and insight (as well as correct the obvious error as to what the toxic vitamin is in polar bear liver). And I don't think that the way I phrased the information gives any indication of malicious intent. So please don't fault me for your interpretation.
(If anyone else finds my phraseology offensive, please so advise with rational/explicit argument.)

grelber #37171 11/13/15 11:10 PM

Wrong.
Eskimo is long since considered a derogatory term.

My interpretation?

Edit: OK, a "rational/explicit argument": a simple, polite "'Eskimo' is considered derogatory in Canada" would have been an unnecessarily far more than sufficient response to an American.

(Mods, can this last sequence be deleted, grelber's protestations notwithstanding?)

Last edited by artie505; 11/14/15 12:33 AM.

artie505 #37178 11/14/15 08:04 AM

Perhaps Virtual1 could chime in and advise whether he feels hard done by. If so, I'm more than willing to apologize for offending him (and him alone).

grelber #37180 11/14/15 12:28 PM

Grandstand play! Booo!!! smirk

artie505 #37182 11/14/15 02:08 PM

Guys differences of opinion will happen but this is getting personal and that is inappropriate even in The Lounge. Take it outside if you want to continue the discussion.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #37184 11/14/15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Guys differences of opinion will happen but this is getting personal and that is inappropriate even in The Lounge.

My sentiments exactly. Basta!

joemikeb #37189 11/14/15 09:21 PM

So be it! (I already requested closure in post #37171.)

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard