FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: "Terms and Conditions May Apply"
tacit #36840 10/30/15 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
One of the interesting things about "citizens rights" is that the government often doesn't have to take them away. People are eager to sign them away when they deal with corporations.

A great example: We probably all know that a basic right in the United States is the right to petition the government for redress of grievances. Most people know that phrase--"petition the government for a redress of grievances"--but I noticed to my surprise recently in a conversation on an online forum that very, very few people can tell you what that means.

Do you have a credit card? If you do, odds are good you have willingly signed away your basic human right to petition the government for redress of grievances when you signed up.

This is most commonly seen in the form of agreeing to resolve differences using "binding arbitration", and agreeing to not participate in any class-action lawsuits. I wonder why these are allowed - some rights you can't sign away, and those should be among them.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
alternaut #36900 11/01/15 07:19 AM

I apologize for being slow to respond, but I'm trying to clear my plate so I can devote my energy and attention to giving both you and V1 the consideration you deserve.

Last edited by artie505; 11/01/15 07:20 AM. Reason: Expand

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #36928 11/02/15 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
This is most commonly seen in the form of agreeing to resolve differences using "binding arbitration", and agreeing to not participate in any class-action lawsuits. I wonder why these are allowed - some rights you can't sign away, and those should be among them.

And strangely, those agreements say that you give up the right to sue if the company does something wrong...but the company does not give up the right to sue you if you do something wrong!

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #36939 11/03/15 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit

And strangely, those agreements say that you give up the right to sue if the company does something wrong...but the company does not give up the right to sue you if you do something wrong!

What's strange about that? tongue

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36940 11/03/15 10:16 AM

Here's another wrinkle: In Religious Arbitration, Scripture Is the Rule of Law. Shariah, anyone?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #36943 11/03/15 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Here's another wrinkle: In Religious Arbitration, Scripture Is the Rule of Law. Shariah, anyone?

Wow. That's the most frightening news article I've read in a very long time.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
jchuzi #36945 11/03/15 02:28 PM

Apparently the devout believers in this process don't mind having a bit of hypocrisy in the system:

"Some religious organizations stand by the process until they lose, at which point they turn to the secular courts to overturn faith-based judgments, according to interviews and court records."

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #36948 11/03/15 02:44 PM

Interesting...
Quote:
The school had required Ms. Prescott to agree to Christian arbitration as a condition of her hiring. But when Northlake lost, it appealed the arbitration award in federal court, arguing that Mr. Thomas’s ruling was inconsistent with Louisiana law.

That pretty clearly shows Northlake wasn't going with arbitration for Christian reasons, but because they thought it would give them a legal edge. (which it probably usually does) But as soon as that failed to produce legal results, they immediately abandoned it.

Virtual1 #36951 11/03/15 03:09 PM

Interesting...
Quote:
The school had required Ms. Prescott to agree to Christian arbitration as a condition of her hiring. But when Northlake lost, it appealed the arbitration award in federal court, arguing that Mr. Thomas’s ruling was inconsistent with Louisiana law.

That pretty clearly shows Northlake wasn't going with arbitration for Christian reasons, but because they thought it would give them a legal edge. (which it probably usually does) But as soon as that failed to produce legal results, they immediately abandoned it.

Doesn't it seem like there ought to be a way to use that against them in the future?

artie505 #36971 11/04/15 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Doesn't it seem like there ought to be a way to use that against them in the future?

Previous case records are admissible in future cases unless overruled, so yes, it can be brought up that they argued against their own rules in any following case, which greatly weakens their position. It doesn't mean they can't BE a hypocrite, it just undermines their case when they do it.

"But three years ago, didn't your own legal team argue that this contract should be unenforceable?"

alternaut #37075 11/08/15 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
That deserves at least a handful of unappreciative adjectives, but I'll limit myself to "condescending" and "presumptuous".

No! My statement absolutely did not need fixing, and your purported "fix" seriously weakens it.

Your opinions are always welcome, appreciated in fact, but please don't express them by denigrating mine.

I’m surprised at your response to V1 above, since his comments struck me as essentially agreeing with yours. Apparently you don’t seem to think so, calling (something in) his opinion ‘denigrating’ yours. I cannot see anything other than his color highlighting of your text as a ‘purported fix’, so please explain how his highlighting is ‘condescending’ or ‘presumptuous’ let alone ‘denigrating’, given his additional comments. To me it’s just ‘a quote of a quote’. confused

Originally Posted By: artie
I don't know about the other items on your suggested reading list, but it's been pretty obvious for some time that there are an awful lot of Americans who don't like the Constitution because it impedes their ability to do things "their way".

Originally Posted By: V1
I don't know about the other items on your suggested reading list, but it's been pretty obvious for some time that there are an awful lot of Americans working in government or law enforcement who don't like the Constitution because it makes their jobs more difficult

FTFY wink

V1 didn't quote my post; he rewrote it! The highlighted text is added content, and his attribution is spurious. shocked (I'd have posted immediately and saved myself an astonishing amount of time and effort had I realized from the get-go that you didn't realize. Oh, well. blush crazy :shrug: )

Here, then, if it's still necessary...

Since "FTFY" was a new one on me I searched and found
  • FTFY - Wiktionary: (Internet slang) Fixed that for you; appended to a modified quotation, as if the modification “fixes” the original statement
and
  • Urban Dictionary: FTFY: Acronym for "fixed that for you."
    Often used sarcastically - not to fix an honest mistake, but to sarcastically disagree with someone,
both of which are representative definitions, suggest sarcasm, and when appended with a wink wear the title like a crown.

Cast in that light, then, both "condescending" and "denigrating" (in its "disparaging" sense) are appropriate characterizations of V1's post.

And what was his "fixing wink " my post if not presumptuous?

Originally Posted By: alternaut
I have to disagree with your stance that elected or appointed officials are not to blame for the problem, but only their constituencies.

Looking back, I see that I interwove two responses, so I'll separate them.

As far as I can see, the problem I cited is confined to constituencies.

The problem V1 cited has two faces: officials who abuse their power, and constituencies that tolerate the abuse.

Being a cynic, I'll go with the constituencies being the more culpable of the two, because the officials, despicable as they and their abuses are, are just exhibiting their basic human nature, while those standing silently by and watching are, I think, abdicating theirs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard