FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari History Query - El Capitan
#37003 11/05/15 04:34 PM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Recently upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan. Just noticed that if I 'Clear History', it not only clears the websites that I have visited, it also deletes the sign-in and passwords as well. Is this some sort of security change? In Mavericks I could clear history and it would just eliminate the web sites I visited and not the sing-in or passwords.

Re: Safari History Query - El Capitan
Douglas #37005 11/05/15 05:05 PM

Safari does warn you about that if you click Clear History (and thanks for pointing this out; I have never done it). A quick look at OnyX shows that that app allows you to clear History separately from other things. I don't know if that will delete logins and passwords as well, so your on your own. Use the Cleaning tab and select Internet.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Douglas #37009 11/05/15 06:31 PM

This annoying change was ushered in with Yosemite. However, there is a relatively simple workaround. (Note: I'm using Safari 9.0 in Yosemite, but I suspect the procedure is the same for El Capitan.)

From Safari's History menu, choose Show History. In the window that opens, you can clear individual entries, a day or days, or your entire history. See How to Clear History But Not Website Data in Safari 8 for more details. Note: on my Mac mini with 4 GB of RAM, clearing weeks' worth of history ties up Safari for quite awhile; it's clearly a memory- and processor-intensive operation.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Douglas #37012 11/05/15 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Douglas
Recently upgraded from Mavericks to El Capitan. Just noticed that if I 'Clear History', it not only clears the websites that I have visited, it also deletes the sign-in and passwords as well. Is this some sort of security change? In Mavericks I could clear history and it would just eliminate the web sites I visited and not the sing-in or passwords.

that's happening on Yos also isn't it? It's a safari thing more than an OS thing?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
dkmarsh #37016 11/06/15 01:31 AM
Douglas Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks dkmarsh, greatly appreciate the workaround. I just Cleared History and it took me a couple of times to connect the dots when I realized all my other website data was cleared too.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard