Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: iPad has two mail accounts listed for each address
artie505 #36879 10/31/15 05:24 PM
OP Offline

Quote:
They are hitting email providers

Not exactly, from my understanding, they were targeting Verizon email addresses. Yes, they are embedding the first part of the email address in the body of the email, with a hyperlink, and it appears to be coming from an individual. Until you look at the header you don't know it is from the eku.com. You probably didn't see the images because your computer picked it up as spam and did not load them.

I'll probably end up running the accounts through Google.

artie505 #36882 10/31/15 07:01 PM

There are a myriad of ways someone may have brained your email address. Odds are the actual spammers bought your email address from someone on the Internet and may be several times removed from the person that originally obtained and subsequently sold the mail lists. The original list could have originated from a disgruntled EKU employee, or student struggling to pay off eduction loans. It could have been leaked by someone in an alumnae association. EKU may have legally sold the mailing list to some organization and it leaked out from there. It could have been captured by a bot on an unsuspecting innocent's computer. (Campus PCs are notorious for the number of viruses they have.)

There are ways of stopping that kind of junk from getting to you but too often the cure is worse than the problem and clever spammers are really good at finding ways around even such draconian measures as white lists and/or black lists.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36885 10/31/15 07:30 PM
OP Offline

Which poses the question: would changing their domain name be an answer? Then ALL mail from that domain could be blacklisted.

grelber #36888 10/31/15 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
[quote=artie505]
Quote:
(I don't remember ever seeing any content...just little blue boxes with ?s, so I've got zero idea what they're pushing.)

They might be hiding beacons or worse.

Dunno...they don't respond to clicks (in an isolated clone).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36889 10/31/15 11:00 PM
OP Offline

Artie505, are you still getting them?

slolerner #36890 10/31/15 11:05 PM

No; see my post #36865.

The new account and my pre-existing others are and have been spam free.

(Response to earlier posts later)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36891 11/01/15 12:30 AM
OP Offline

Quote:
Dunno...they don't respond to clicks (in an isolated clone).

I got confused because this sounded present tense.

slolerner #36892 11/01/15 01:31 AM

Oops! Sorry! blush (Should have said "didn't".)

slolerner #36898 11/01/15 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Which poses the question: would changing their domain name be an answer? Then ALL mail from that domain could be blacklisted.

Sure, but consider the flip-side of the coin.

And changing from .com to, say, .net would be equally problematic.

slolerner #36899 11/01/15 06:55 AM

Quote:
They are hitting email providers

Not exactly, from my understanding, they were targeting Verizon email addresses.

I dunno; I just quoted you.

Yes, they are embedding the first part of the email address in the body of the email, with a hyperlink, and it appears to be coming from an individual. Until you look at the header you don't know it is from the eku.com. You probably didn't see the images because your computer picked it up as spam and did not load them.

and

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
There are a myriad of ways someone may have brained your email address.

Responding to both of you at once since your posts are related...

This was yet another example of why I'm incapable of being a teacher; my crystal clear is everybody else's muddy. crazy

Here, in real, clear detail, is what I was trying to explain:

(Do you ever post on WQXR.org, slolerner? I ask because I clearly remember having posted there while I was receiving the spam.)

When I post on WQXR, I post as user "xyz" with e-mail address "abc@verizon.net".

In the beginning, the spam e-mails opened with "Hi, abc"...understandable, but after a while, some of it began with "Hi, xyz", "xyz" being something that nobody could have known about without having had access to my WQXR (or other) post (elsewhere), because it's not a part of any e-mail address I've ever used. (User "xyz" is not exclusive to WQXR, but that's the only website I can think of on which I definitely used it around the critical time.)

Edit: I forgot about this, and it may be important: I do NOT log in to WQXR, nor is "xyz" my user name on any website that requires log-in. "xyz" is only transmitted in the body of whichever form I've filled out.

I don't think any of the "Hi, ...s" were hyperlinks, because they were in plain text...neither blue nor underlined. (I never tried clicking on one.)

And finally, the e-mails with those ?s in little blue boxes were not all identified as spam by Mail, and my pref is to load remote images, so, again, I dunno. (There was a thread not long ago that dealt with ?s in little blue boxes that didn't respond to clicks, but I don't remember the issue being resolved.)

Now that this issue has gone far beyond me I think I'll reinstate the account I deleted so I can pay closer attention to what goes on...assuming that the spamming picks up where it left off.

Last edited by artie505; 11/01/15 08:44 AM. Reason: Rethought what happened +

artie505 #36902 11/01/15 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: artie
Now that this issue has gone far beyond me I think I'll reinstate the account I deleted so I can pay closer attention to what goes on...assuming that the spamming picks up where it left off.

Verizon wouldn't allow me to reinstate "abc", so I went with "abc1".

Let's see if the bad guys pick up on it.

artie505 #36906 11/01/15 01:03 PM
OP Offline

I appreciate the time spent on this, but we are not going to solve it. I can run the account through Google.

slolerner #36910 11/01/15 06:03 PM

I can run the account through Google.

You should certainly give it a try, and I certainly hope they can do the job that Verizon has so far been unable to do (although I've got to admit that I'm skeptical), but it's caught my attention, particularly because they got hold of a name to which they shouldn't have had any access, and I'm hooked.

You, of course, are interested in cleaning out your mail box, but although mine has already been cleaned out, eku.edu has become a puzzle, so I'll stick around to see how/if it's finally solved.

(No spam in the new account so far.)

Edit: Again, do you ever post on WQXR.org?

Last edited by artie505; 11/01/15 06:04 PM.

artie505 #36911 11/01/15 10:14 PM

The plot thickens!

I did some searching, and I found that not only is @eku.edu being spoofed, but the bad guys apparently have their entire directory of student @eku.edu e-mail addresses, and therein lies part, possibly even all, of the blocking problem: There are both legitimate and spam e-mails coming from the same addresses.

Whew! Nasty!!!

artie505 #36913 11/02/15 07:53 AM
OP Offline

Q: If they are using Beacons in any way, where would they be stored?

slolerner #36915 11/02/15 08:50 AM

Nary a clue, nor do I know what they are (other than what they sound like they are).

I assume, though, that if a beacon should beckon, LittleSnitch will tip you off, and you should be able to learn its path from the pop-up.

slolerner #36916 11/02/15 09:53 AM

Q: If they are using Beacons in any way, where would they be stored?

They're stored in your browser's cache. They're mostly used surreptitiously for tracking, but web beacons such as Omniture (Adobe Analytics) have a functionality beyond that (which can foil your access to many sites).
You can check out what's being stored on your machine via about:cache (Firefox; I don't know about Safari) or via the CacheViewer app.
This was a forum topic some time back.

grelber #36925 11/02/15 10:05 PM
OP Offline

Would Onyx remove them?

Edit: No, I never posted on WQXR. Forgot to answer that question. If they have all the students' addresses at the college, then it seems they could be harvesting addresses from anywhere.

Last edited by slolerner; 11/02/15 10:14 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #36930 11/02/15 11:50 PM

Would Onyx remove them?

Yes, but so would just clearing your cache. Problem is that you can't remove them selectively (as previous discussion on that topic concluded).

grelber #36932 11/03/15 12:15 AM
OP Offline

That's ok, thanks.

Does your cat know he/she only has three legs?

slolerner #36935 11/03/15 02:07 AM

Quote:
If they have all the students' addresses at the college, then it seems they could be harvesting addresses from anywhere.

Probably hacked in.

Thinking about it, it sounds kinda brilliant!

Having legitimate e-mail and spam coming from so many exact same addresses probably makes blocking awfully difficult.

slolerner #36938 11/03/15 07:41 AM

Does your cat know he/she only has three legs?

If you look closely, you can just glimpse the left hindlimb.
The GIF animation is a tad choppy ... but what the hey?!

On a more existential level: I'm pretty sure that 3-legged cats (whether congenitally or surgically so) don't bother themselves with such matters. They make the necessary physical and mental adjustments and carry on.
One of my veterinary colleagues had a 3-legged (only one HL) cat and could move just as fast as a 4-legged one; she could also climb trees with no problem (other than resembling a furry nut hatch).

grelber #36944 11/03/15 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
On a more existential level: I'm pretty sure that 3-legged cats (whether congenitally or surgically so) don't bother themselves with such matters. They make the necessary physical and mental adjustments and carry on.
One of my veterinary colleagues had a 3-legged (only one HL) cat and could move just as fast as a 4-legged one; she could also climb trees with no problem (other than resembling a furry nut hatch).

The ones that impress me are the cats and dogs that have only TWO legs. One front and one back, on opposite sides. They move like a cheetah on a pogo stick

The ones with only two front or two rear legs aren't nearly as athletic

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36989 11/04/15 10:28 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Probably hacked in.

I get your point, but wasting time hacking and spamming seems contradictory to brilliant.
It's vandalism and property damage.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqp0_vIs7XA

Last edited by slolerner; 11/04/15 10:50 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #36991 11/04/15 10:30 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Probably hacked in.

I get your point, but wasting time hacking and spamming seems contradictory to brilliant.

Not if it pays! wink

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard