FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
iPad has two mail accounts listed for each address
#36441 10/14/15 11:11 PM
OP Offline

So, instead of having say, four mailboxes listed under settings, it has eight. Two for each email account. I didn't do it. It just happened.

And, come to think of it, it seems I am seeing emails I thought I had already trashed.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/14/15 11:13 PM. Reason: More
Re: iPad has two mail accounts listed for each address
slolerner #36447 10/15/15 11:46 AM

When it gets that wiggy, I'd suggest deleting all email accounts and adding them back again. Make sure you have other copies of emails you need of course before doing that.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36464 10/16/15 05:15 PM
OP Offline

If I delete the accounts, will I get to keep my contacts?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #36483 10/18/15 02:07 AM

I saw a similar situation occur when a friend set up his internet accounts on his Mac and subsequently turned on mail synching in iCloud. As near as we could figure out the two different sets of ccounts were not recognized as duplicates — probably because he had capitalized the account address on one device and not on the other. The fix was to make the capitalization the same and the second set of accounts disappeared. Normally I use myy desktop computer as the account setup "master" and the setup on my iPhone and iPad follows suit through the iCloud synch.

Deleting an internet account on your iPad does not delete the account on the host server, it just prevents your iPad from accessing the data on the account host server until the account is re-established on the iPad. Normally messages, contacts, etc. associated with the account are stored on the account host server. You can verify the data is on the account host server by logging on through the account's web interface.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36490 10/18/15 03:01 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
When it gets that wiggy, I'd suggest deleting all email accounts and adding them back again. Make sure you have other copies of emails you need of course before doing that.

Isn't there an app like disk utility so I don't have to nuke things every time the iPad gets "wiggy?"

PS: I don't use an iCloud account.

slolerner #36502 10/18/15 09:33 PM

A "disk utility" for an operating system that does not have a Finder or file system in the conventional sense is a non-starter. iOS sandboxes everything to the max and data files are encapsulated in the creating app's sandbox. Even iCloud retains a semblance of that data isolation in the way it handles iOS app files.

However, when things get wonky try pressing and holding the on/off button and the home button until the screen blanks and the white Apple appears on the screen. Release the two buttons and wait patiently until the system resets. This is a non-destructive process and not the same as shutting down and then booting. There are reset options in Settings > General but most of those are at least partially destructive and require resetting lots of stuff.

Last edited by joemikeb; 10/18/15 09:36 PM. Reason: typo

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36528 10/20/15 01:36 PM
OP Offline

Help! I deleted the email accounts because they got 'wonky' as described above in this thread and now I can't put them back in and get them to work. I cannot completely clear EVERYTHING that was associated with the account including the SMTPs and start clean.

slolerner #36539 10/20/15 02:55 PM

a visit to see a Genius at an Apple Store may be in order at this point

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36540 10/20/15 03:04 PM
OP Offline

I don't like that answer very much frown . Anyone other ideas?

slolerner #36543 10/20/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Help! I deleted the email accounts because they got 'wonky' as described above in this thread and now I can't put them back in and get them to work. I cannot completely clear EVERYTHING that was associated with the account including the SMTPs and start clean.

So maybe a little more detail: how did you delete the accounts and what happens when you try to "put them back in and get them to work."

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #36598 10/22/15 10:36 PM
OP Offline

Ok, so I finally got them back, not worth going into detail how, but 1,649 emails that I had deleted downloaded again from the server. So, my question is, do I have to click 'edit' and then mark each one for delete or go down the list and trash them as they open? I read in another forum that Grelber uses a car and a baseball bat to empty mailboxes quickly. Any less extreme suggestions?

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #36599 10/22/15 10:44 PM

Can't you just select them all and delete them in one shot?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36601 10/22/15 10:57 PM
OP Offline

How? No shift key?

slolerner #36602 10/22/15 11:10 PM

Quote:
So, my question is, do I have to click 'edit' and then mark each one for delete or go down the list and trash them as they open?

Are you trying to do this from the All Inboxes screen? If so, try going back to Mailboxes and selecting one account at a time. I have only an iCloud and a Gmail account on my phone, and when I view the inbox for each individually, clicking Edit enables three options at the bottom of the screen: Mark All, Move All, and Trash All (or, in Gmail, Archive All).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #36603 10/22/15 11:16 PM
OP Offline

But there are new messages since I put the boxes back that I want to have for a while. I don't want to delete everything in every mailbox, just big gobs at once. Maybe I have to mark all and then unmark the 50 or so new ones and then delete the marked ones?

And there is nothing in my sent box. And how do I mass empty my 'to' and 'cc' boxes? Is there something I am missing here?

Last edited by slolerner; 10/22/15 11:24 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #36675 10/26/15 09:51 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

I've removed several off-topic posts so this thread can get back to troubleshooting.

slolerner, can you give us a status update on your iPad mail problems?

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #36676 10/26/15 09:55 AM

Good. That's the suggestion I was just trying to post. Thanks.

cyn #36721 10/27/15 10:39 PM
OP Offline

Ok, so I deleted all the mail at once, but then, boom! it all downloaded from the servers again (POP Mail.) so I emptied the servers. Ok, back to normal, but two questions remain:

1) How do I delete a continuous bunch of emails at once, but keep the ones I want, like on my MBP where I hit shift on the first and last and command to deselect the ones I want. Note: I don't even want to select some of them because that opens them and they are spam. I was successful getting rid of a lot of spam by using LS on my MBP and blocking the ports they were requesting. I believe that did work. Now it is a different account getting spammed.

2) When I deleted the box marked 'To or CC' it deleted all the mail in my inbox. So, the question is, can I just get rid of, read "don't show" that mailbox? If I do that, will that stuff go away when I delete incoming mail or will it just pile up and fill up my iPad, which is only a 32gb.

Note: DK, I did go back to individual boxes instead of all and saw more options, but still not what I want.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/27/15 10:42 PM. Reason: More
slolerner #36724 10/27/15 11:24 PM

In iOS 9.1 Mail
  1. Navigate to the mailbox you want to empty
  2. Save the desired messages into another mailbox
    1. Go to one of the messages you want to save
    2. Touch it and move your finger to the RIGHT
    3. Touch Move
    4. select a folder to contain the saved message
    5. repeat the process for each of the messages you want to save
  3. At the top of the window click on Edit and a selection dot will appear next to each of the messages
  4. At the bottom of the window touch Trash All
  5. Confirm Trash All

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36725 10/27/15 11:41 PM
OP Offline

Can I add a 'Keep These' mailbox at the top level? When I go to add mailbox, it only gives me the option to add a mailbox under each account.

joemikeb #36728 10/28/15 01:05 AM

That seems like an awfully cumbersome, uncharacteristically Apple way to accomplish a task that many people probably do several, if not numerous, times daily.

There's really no other way to partially delete the contents of a mailbox? crazy

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36730 10/28/15 01:24 AM
OP Offline

I think I just answered the second part of the question. It was a glitch that the 9.1 update fixed. I was having problems with mailboxes showing the wrong amount of mail, like something was in a mailbox when it was empty. When I empty the mailboxes now, the 'cc and to' folder empties as well.

slolerner #36744 10/28/15 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Can I add a 'Keep These' mailbox at the top level? When I go to add mailbox, it only gives me the option to add a mailbox under each account.

Remember iOS does not have a file system per se. All files end up embedded in the application package and in the case of Mail must be associated with a given email account. However, you could do it on your Mac using a folder On My Mac, but those would ONLY be on your Mac and not accessible on any iOS device.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #36748 10/28/15 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
That seems like an awfully cumbersome, uncharacteristically Apple way to accomplish a task that many people probably do several, if not numerous, times daily.

There's really no other way to partially delete the contents of a mailbox? crazy

I was responding to Slolerner's specific situation where there were hundreds(?) of messages to be deleted and a relative few to be saved and was not intended to be a comprehensive tutorial covering all possible situations.

If one is cleaning out the mailboxes daily or hourly you can individually select the messages to be deleted and then press Delete.

IF you had, and regularly used, an iOS device running iOS 8 or later you would be more likely to understand that although iOS and OS X both run on the Darwin kernel their different operating environments, I/O tools, etc impose significant logical, and very reasonable, differences between two platforms. If you seriously want to learn more about iOS watch for the forthcoming release of iPhone: The Missing Manual, 9th Edition.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36752 10/28/15 03:58 PM
OP Offline

Actually, there were over a thousand messages. shocked

I had mentioned that I don't want to open the messages that are junk because I am using LS on my MBP (when I can sit at it) to stop spam. You can't mark an email on an ipad for deletion until you click on it and that opens it, so it won't work. On my mac, I now get the LS window when junk mail tries to load and I block the port before it loads. It's just cumbersome to go into each account to place save messages on the iPad, but I can keep them all in a new folder under one account, I guess.

So, one other thought but probably won't work: if I flag the ones I want, will that keep them from being deleted during a dump?

If I did have a bluetooth keyboard, would I be able to shift and select? Just a thought... Probably a dumb one.

Last edited by slolerner; 10/28/15 04:01 PM. Reason: more
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard