FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tattoo Eeeyoo
#36452 10/15/15 08:45 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't have any tattoos and I will admit I sometimes wonder why people cover their bodies with them but, generally, I'm a live and let live sort. However, sometimes things go too far (IMHO) so I find leaving a tattoo in your estate to be a bit bizarre.

Last edited by ryck; 10/15/15 08:48 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Tattoo Eeeyoo
ryck #36453 10/15/15 09:07 PM

Naaah! (Not to say, though, that I haven't come up with one or two similarly bizarre ideas, myself.)

I don't get that 32 year old woman's paying $60/year for the rest of her life for what amounts to insurance that she won't die suddenly.

How about a funerary urn with "skindows" so people's ashes can be surrounded by their tattoos? Sounds more appealing to me than hanging them on the wall.

(Remember "Tan me hide when I'm dead, Ted"? tongue )

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #36455 10/16/15 12:21 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
How about a funerary urn with "skindows" so people's ashes can be surrounded by their tattoos? Sounds more appealing to me than hanging them on the wall.

Ya, that wall hanging part is very weird. I can see it all now..."Here we have our Ansel Adams print, and this is the Bev Doolittle we got last year, and over here we have Uncle Frank's 'Death Before Dishonor' tattoo still on his forearm skin."

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #36457 10/16/15 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck

Ya, that wall hanging part is very weird. I can see it all now..."Here we have our Ansel Adams print, and this is the Bev Doolittle we got last year, and over here we have Uncle Frank's 'Death Before Dishonor' tattoo still on his forearm skin.

Why not his entire forearm?

Heck, why not just take Uncle Frank home with you after his funeral?

There's a scene in the John Belushi movie The Neighbors in which a man with an undertaker's demeanor is advertising a transparent coffin "So you can view the object of your grief forever"...maybe soon come.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #36460 10/16/15 03:44 PM

Ya, that wall hanging part is very weird. I can see it all now..."Here we have our Ansel Adams print, and this is the Bev Doolittle we got last year, and over here we have Uncle Frank's 'Death Before Dishonor' tattoo still on his forearm skin."

You may laugh, but this service already exists in some parts of the country. The tattoo is "saved" and preserved prior to internment or cremation.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #36461 10/16/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
You may laugh, but this service already exists in some parts of the country. The tattoo is "saved" and preserved prior to internment or cremation.

Would I be assuming too much to say "down South"?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #36472 10/17/15 05:13 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Heck, why not just take Uncle Frank home with you after his funeral?

Sure, you could have the tattooed relative stuffed, mounted and parked in the parlor....the way Roy Rogers did with Trigger. The only problem, of course, is the concern that it causes for remaining relatives.

Does anyone doubt that Dale Evans spent the rest of her life praying that she would out-live Roy?

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #36517 10/19/15 04:53 PM

The only things that come to mind in this exchange are:
(1) The Nazis and their penchant for functional memorabilia, such as lamp shades made of human skin
(2) Another screenplay for Criminal Minds and such ilk.
crazy tongue frown
Moving on ...

grelber #36527 10/20/15 01:35 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: grelber
The only things that come to mind in this exchange are:
(1) The Nazis and their penchant for functional memorabilia, such as lamp shades made of human skin

Oh puh-leeeze. One of the responders to the original column made the same suggestion. I thought it was a stretch then, and I still do. Lighten up....the thread is nothing more than having fun with what seems to be a generally goofy idea.

ryck

OS Sonoma 14.4.1
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #36542 10/20/15 03:30 PM

Oh puh-leeeze. One of the responders to the original column made the same suggestion. I thought it was a stretch then, and I still do. Lighten up....the thread is nothing more than having fun with what seems to be a generally goofy idea.

I thought it was lightened up.
That said, there are large segments of the population (read: ethnic groups) which would definitely consider the notion in very poor taste and/or extremely offensive on a very personal level, even if of a bygone era.

grelber #36555 10/20/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
That said, there are large segments of the population (read: ethnic groups) which would definitely consider the notion in very poor taste and/or extremely offensive on a very personal level, even if of a bygone era.

There are many in every ethnic group who would find that reference offensive. Those who forget or do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36563 10/21/15 12:44 PM

Humanity is in a continual process of moderation. Today's moderates will be tomorrow's conservatives, without having changed views. It will never end.

Virtual1 #36576 10/21/15 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Humanity is in a continual process of moderation. Today's moderates will be tomorrow's conservatives, without having changed views. It will never end.

Hmmm? I'm not sure I agree with your proposition. I started out as a moderate Republican and while my views have changed very little since then, today I am considered by many to be a far left wing liberal. (Personally I prefer the sobriquet "progressive".)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36585 10/22/15 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: Virtual1

Hmmm? I'm not sure I agree with your proposition. I started out as a moderate Republican and while my views have changed very little since then, today I am considered by many to be a far left wing liberal. (Personally I prefer the sobriquet "progressive".)

The gist of it is that today's views that are considered very progressive and not widely accepted, will become more widely accepted over time and will be more of "the accepted norm" and join the smaller subset of values that the conservatives restrict themselves to. During that time, new values will grow to be accepted by only the progressive, seeding the future values for the conservatives.

So as a general (though certainly not absolute) rule, today's conservatives will be tomorrow's moderates, without changing opinion or view. They don't need to change becase the world changes around them. (they don't need to "step over the line" because the line is constantly moving and will eventually pass under their feet)

Looking back at my original statement, I think I may have said that backward tongue Today's conservatives will be tomorrow's moderates , without having changed views.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard