for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: adobe flash player
dkmarsh #36582 10/22/15 08:47 AM

I have no quarrel with most of your reasoning*. laugh Still, there is something curious going on with the autoplaying Macworld videos. Click to Flash will indicate or change to ’HTML5’ instead of ‘Flash’ on the placeholder it displays if it finds an alternative of that format. In this day and age that’s pretty much anywhere. However, in case of the Macworld videos it displays ‘Flash’, and never changes to HTML5 or anything else for that matter. In fact, the (now transparent) placeholder remains visible when the clip is paused or stopped. And the videos autoplay despite the CtF setting not to allow that.

*) With the possible exception of the notion that the autoplaying Macworld videos doesn’t represent an ‘instance of coding to evade blocking efforts by the user’. The many comments on the topic and particularly some responses from Macworld editors suggest that this may in fact be the case.

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #36591 10/22/15 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
…but that's just a hunch based on the fact that online video is increasingly consumed on Flash-free devices.

I seem to recall reading some time back that Adobe has said they will not be developing Flash any further because it does not play well on touch sensitive devices.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36594 10/22/15 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I seem to recall reading some time back that Adobe has said they will not be developing Flash any further because it does not play well on touch sensitive devices.

I'd be willing to wager it's more because mobile device manufacturers have been putting their foot down en masse insisting that they can't have a chronically insecure privileged plugin bundled with their product. (and that Adobe appears to be incapable of securing their flash)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard