FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Re: Unexplained Lounge-Behavior Principles
sandbox #5148 10/19/09 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: sandbox
Apparently your idea of science is something unique to you. There are many disciplines but for some reason your trying to impose your definition on others. Curious?

Impose? No, we are having a debate about whether or not 'faith' plays any role in science. And it's hardly my *unique* viewpoint when page 6 linked to a New York Times article by Paul Davies. One plus one equals two? Therefore, not unique? Got it yet?

Originally Posted By: sandbox
My posts as they relate to you and Catholicism are based on your annual visits to these establishments. I suspected that by using examples of the tradition that you understood, that you would be able to get over yourself, but I see that I've not been successful.

I told you many pages ago you were talking to the wrong guy. If i choose to play the devil's advocate with respect to science, it's to determine what exactly the "scientific" knowledge level is in here. So far, you get an F- (mainly for clinging on to your anti-religious beliefs, rather than intelligently discussing unexplained scientific principles). If i choose to join my old Dad (who has Alzheimer's) on Christmas and Easter, that my business... and you'd do well to stay the f&*( out of it.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/19/09 10:23 PM.
Re: Unexplained Scientific Principles
Hal Itosis #5149 10/19/09 10:46 PM

Quote:
"The guy" (in case someone didn't know) was one of the greatest physicists of our time.

I'm well aware of who he was and his place in history. Was he not a guy? I wasn't being disrespectful, was I? The next time I address him I'll be genuflecting.

You can pretend to be a "scientist" and I'll continue to examine how a scientist justifies their unsubstantiated faith in superman in a thread that you would like to be about physics now, while arguing for the right to your religious beliefs.

It was you who started with the name calling (sandbag) and then whining about me attacking your right to defend religion in a scientific thread. I'm the juvenile, and I'm unscientific because I will not concede to your notion that god and scientific inquiry can coexist in a thread, school or mind without contradiction.

If you apply the same rigorous qualification to your faith, as you would expect in scientific inquiry you would come to see my position. If you examine where unchecked faith has drifted through the years you will understand how detrimental faith based assumptions have been on our species. Time and brainpower is being wasted on satisfying people fears and needs. As I mentioned earlier just imagine the trillions of hours lost looking for superman, and creating new supermen with all their contradictions and desires to engineer societies through the millennium.

Enjoy life ------ it has an expiration date! wink

sandbox #5150 10/19/09 11:09 PM

Oh well...apparently, any earnest discussion of 'unexplained scientific principles' will *not* be taking place after all.

Originally Posted By: sandbag
You can pretend to be a "scientist" and I'll continue to examine how a scientist justifies their unsubstantiated faith in superman in a thread that you would like to be about physics now, while arguing for the right to your religious beliefs.

Petty tyrannical nonsense.

I'm the juvenile, and I'm unscientific because I will not concede to your notion that god and scientific inquiry can coexist in a thread, school or mind without contradiction.

Concede? You're the one who keeps bringing up religion. As i said a dozen times: believe what you want. Let me augment that: i don't care what you believe.

I guess they rode you pretty hard in that catholic school, huh?  My condolences.

If you apply the same rigorous qualification to your faith, as you would expect in scientific inquiry you would come to see my position.

What faith???... i already told you i was agnostic. Look up the word dude, and learn something for a change. It's you -- the atheist -- who's the one with faith... because you *believe* there is no God, despite the lack of any conclusive proof one way or the other.

Time and brainpower is being wasted on satisfying people fears and needs. As I mentioned earlier just imagine the trillions of hours lost looking for superman, and creating new supermen with all their contradictions and desires to engineer societies through the millennium.

Oh shut up. grin    If you want to talk about "time", try filling in the blanks in my last post to alternaut (where did s/he go?):

Complete the following sentence (using as many words as necessary):
In the 1800s, science __________ Newton's concept of time... based on __________ .

Hal Itosis #5151 10/19/09 11:24 PM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Time for folks to take a break from this thread. When I reopen it in a day or two, at the very least you all need to show each other enough respect to lay off the username games.

Last edited by cyn; 10/22/09 03:53 AM. Reason: Thread reopened.

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #5220 10/23/09 12:23 AM

The Physical Revue

(by Tom Lehrer)

---

The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth. - Niels Bohr
crarko #5224 10/23/09 05:46 AM

Cool!!! cool

I've loved Tom Lehrer for maaany years...even knew his brother and nephews back in my Boy Scout days, but I wasn't aware of "The Physical Review."

Thanks for the link.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #5231 10/23/09 11:55 AM

Sure. smile

And now, hotly debated science in a realm much closer to home than quantum gravity; a letter sent to members of the U.S. Senate on the subject of climate change.

My feeling on the subject has always been that I'm way less interested in looking for someone to blame, and more in trying to work a solution to the problem, if possible.

---

The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth. - Niels Bohr
crarko #5238 10/23/09 04:22 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: crarko
Sure. :)My feeling on the subject has always been that I'm way less interested in looking for someone to blame, and more in trying to work a solution to the problem, if possible.

I'm with you. The first isn't going to accomplish much but we owe the second to our children and grandchildren.

ryck

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
crarko #5252 10/23/09 11:31 PM

I think the blame often comes in at the point at which highly influential parties decline to participate in the devising of any solutions contrary to their unilateral good fortunes.

Hence, for example, the U.S. used up massive quantities of oil in between the time it became clear that greater conservation was urgently needed and the time that the domestic auto industry finally dropped its fierce resistance to higher fuel efficiency standards.

Sure, becoming preoccupied with negativity towards those who have been intractable doesn't help solve the problem, but neither, often, does treating all parties as equally responsible, since that tends to give a free pass to those contributing disproportionately to the problem that needs solving.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
crarko #5597 11/06/09 04:45 PM

OK, so I'm kind of a sap for stuff like this:

The Symphony of Science

---

crarko #5645 11/07/09 03:58 PM

The Symphony of Science

I especially like "A Glorious Dawn".

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #5724 11/10/09 12:34 PM

I made a ringtone from "A Glorious Dawn," which one of my sweeties sent to the guy who did the music...and I just now learned that he put my ringtone on his Web site for download! laugh

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
crarko #5821 11/14/09 09:12 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

The Symphony of Science

Interesting pieces. It's great that digital technology advances this kind of creativity. I recall when people tried to do "electronic" music in analog and it was a seriously big deal in terms of equipment, and the results were usually received with "it just doesn't sound real".

In the early 70s, Tomita, a Japanese musician did a highly acclaimed electronic music album "Snowflakes Are Dancing" but the equipment credits on the back of the album would suggest he had to rent a barn to house it all.

Now, it probably just takes a laptop and a hundred bucks worth of software.

ryck

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #5974 11/20/09 09:39 AM

And, on the theory that there's an XKCD for everything, this XKCD is especially poignant.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #5975 11/20/09 10:56 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I recall an interview many years ago with Ansel Adams. I don't recall the exact words of either the question or the answer, but the thrust was about people who would take his images and change them into something else - add colours, manipulate, mix with other things et cetera. He was asked if it bothered him.

His reply was that it didn't. He had created an image based on how his mind thought something should be seen. If someone else "saw" it differently and took it a different direction, it was the natural order of creativity.

There's a lot of art, music, architecture, technology et cetera that simply wouldn't exist if it wasn't for people who think that way. Separate from its output, the creative process itself is an amazing thing to behold.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 11/20/09 11:14 AM. Reason: Added thought

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard