Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Re: Printing the contents of a finder window [Re:
#3575 09/12/09 09:50 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

alternaut,

About a week ago, there was a discussion in the AUDIO, VIDEO, PHOTOGRAPHY forum about a PRINTING problem with a PERIPHERAL device after installing MAC OSX 10.6.x. Now I don't begin to know what motivated the poster to pick the AUDIO, VIDEO, PHOTOGRAPHY forum to post his problem in, maybe it was an audio or video cd he was trying to burn a label on...oops no, he stated it had graphics on it. This post is still where it originated, even though to this layman it's in the wrong forum.

A well meaning FTM user asks for clarification as to which language version of the software upgrade the poster got before he offered advice, and his post was misinterpreted by one of the powers that be and was removed. This user was so upset that he started a new feedback topic to vent his frustration. Removing someone else's post on a whim when there was no rules violation would be what? Gestapo tactics maybe?

Fast forward a few days. I have a question involving PRINTING (Peripherals forum) a folder catalog in MAC OSX 10.0 - 10.5 x. I have the same dilemma as the moderator that posted above. To me it fit into both forum definitions, but rather than post it in both, i chose Mac OS x 10.0 - 10.5.x because I thought there ought to be a way to do it in Finder. If I'm wrong let the powers that be move it. The above incident was still fresh on my mind as I don't deal with all the posts and topics you do on a daily basis...thus the wording I chose. I didn't single anyone out, just basically said the forum police can move it it they feel it's in the wrong place.

Now here I am "humoring" (I won't call you dumb even though you asked me to) another power that be what tried to suck me into the same vortex that got the message deleted that started this whole mess to begin with. That's why I posted this to the Feedback forum instead of just replying to your post.

In researching for this post, I discover that the moderator that took offense to my gestapo comment wasn't the one that deleted the post, and as far as I know had no involvement. Why he/she took offense I don't know. I don't know the person. His/her definition of gestapo (secret police of a brutally repressive political regime) while probably accurate, is more encompassing than what I had in mind...just secret police. Evidently, what wasn't allowed in the Audio, Video, Photography forum is allowed in the Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x forum, because now two moderators have done the same thing. I agree with what the user mentioned above stated in his post, it does feel colder here. That's not conducive to solving problems and attracting new members.

I realize all y'all (all y'all is the plural of the singular y'all. I do live in the South now, a damn Yankee--came South and stayed) put in a lot of time to help the less knowledgeable, and to keep the new site running. I, and I think, everyone else appreciate the time and effort! All y'all need to keep in mind, most of us try to do the right thing and play by the rules. Let's fight the battles that need to be won, and lighten up on the rest. It would make FTM a better place to visit. After all, in the end, we all want the same thing...to enjoy our Macs and let them make our lives easier.

I'll shut up now.

...JER (-: >
...JER #3578 09/13/09 01:18 AM

First off, I appreciate your response, including the background you provide, and your consideration to post it here rather than in the original thread. That was an excellent choice. It took me a while to track down the threads you refer to, and it may not surprise you that my take on things doesn't quite match yours. Allow me to explain.

First of all, the moderators' main task here is to expedite the troubleshooting and to minimize any distractions. As part of that task inappropriate or distracting off-topic posts can and will be removed, and misplaced topics will be relocated to their proper place, just like we did that at our previous MFIF abode. We will shortly publish a full set of Board Rules that explain and outline the policies followed in more detail. Please remember that any rules exist only to provide an unfettered focus on troubleshooting Mac issues, these forums' main raison d'etre, and not for those rules' sake. There certainly is nothing whimsical or arbitrary about that.

Next, the thread in Audio, Video, Photography you refer to dealt with burning a label to disk, one of the topics covered by this particular forum (please check its description in the Forum List). There was no dilemma in choosing this forum for this topic, and I'm not sure why you thought otherwise. Neither do I see a dilemma in the forum choice you made for your query: the Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x was the perfect choice since the core of your question was about the item you wanted to print (a pre-Leopard Finder window), rather than about printing as such. But when you later say 'Evidently, what wasn't allowed in the Audio, Video, Photography forum is allowed in the Mac OS X 10.0 - 10.5.x forum, because now two moderators have done the same thing', I must confess that I have no idea what you're talking about. It seems to me that you're confusing various threads, but feel free to enlighten me.

Then follows the removal of the post you refer to. This removal fit that 'irrelevance' bill I mentioned above to a T, and was explained as such to the affected user. Contrary to your impression, that post was not misinterpreted as it had nothing to do with a 'clarification as to which language version of the software upgrade the poster got before he offered advice'. The user then throws a hissy fit based on a misconception about the function of these forums and his (otherwise much appreciated) contributions to them. This misconception was IMHO adequately addressed by a moderator and other users in the relevant thread.

All that said, I think I can safely say that introducing your frustration or displeasure about what you perceive as a whimsical and arbitrary action by a moderator in one thread into a completely unrelated thread is not what I would call an effective way to bring your issue to our attention. But even if it were, you may not have realized at the time that using the word Gestapo in this context was really in bad taste. I suspect that for most people that took offense, myself and DK included, your intention to say something else doesn't make much if any difference. I 'm afraid you really stepped in it, and the smell lingers regardless of you saying that you don't know why.

Your original comment is clear to anyone reading it, and your view that you didn't compare anybody with anything doesn't make it any less so. For all the emotional connotation of that word to those who experienced the organization it refers to, and their families, using it is not unlike shooting somebody in the head simply to get another person's attention, just like a Gestapo officer might have done. That comparison may sound over the top, but it also gives you an idea of the effect of using a concept like Gestapo in an unrelated conversation.

I suggest there are less offensive ways to make your displeasure known. Such an approach has the added advantage that the issue doesn't get sidetracked by the unintended but inescapable consequences of the way you present it. I also note that your post here is the right place for it, and I'm glad you took that step. Moreover, you conclude your post by stating the same purpose for these forums as we strive to support, and I hope that my reply has made that clear and will help you better understand our point of view.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #3592 09/13/09 11:25 AM

hissy fit? hardly. frown

what is frustrating is that similar posts by other members have been left unmoved. be consistent, please.

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
alternaut #3593 09/13/09 12:37 PM
...JER Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: alternaut
... but feel free to enlighten me.

When you asked me to humor you, I gave it a shot. I thought that worked out well!
You will have to look elsewhere for enlightenment however.

I'm going to zip up my coat, put on my mittens, walk over here and stand in the corner, and apologize.

To those who were offended by my comment, please accept my sincere apology.

...JER (-: >
roger #3598 09/13/09 03:06 PM

Quote:
what is frustrating is that similar posts by other members have been left unmoved. be consistent, please.

I invite you to spend a few weeks poring over thread after thread in search of that black and white line which some of you folks seem to believe exists between those posts which are clearly misplaced or gratuitious or otherwise counterproductive to the thread in which they're made and those posts which should clearly stay where they are.

When you're done, and can define, in simple, non-controversial language, exactly where that line is, then you can have my moderator position, because you'll have achieved something I haven't been able to do in six and a half years.

And I'll be happy to quit to accommodate you.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
...JER #3600 09/13/09 03:59 PM

I'm impressed with and gratefully accept your apology, and I don't mean that in a condescending way. In my experience, far too few apologies are offered for the 'easy' mistakes anybody, myself included, can make. Anyone who sincerely apologizes for such things doesn't have to dress up to weather the cold in the corner. In fact, those are the exact people we want and need around here.

So, as far as I am concerned, this name-calling issue is over and done with. Remains what DK brought up: a simple, unambiguous and non-controversially phrased definition of posts that detract from the FTMF mission, and what to do with them. That'd be great to prevent further feather ruffling. laugh

alternaut moderator
dkmarsh #3611 09/13/09 06:11 PM

I'm just going to chalk it up that I was the one caught having fun, and be done with it. I certainly respect the work that you all put in. no hard feelings on my part.

/group hug cool

MacBook 2.4 Ghz · 4 Gb ram · 10.7.5
stuff I'm interested in
iPhone 4s 7.0.2
roger #3616 09/13/09 06:51 PM
Banned
Banned

Same with me, roger.

...JER #3664 09/14/09 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: ...JER
When you asked me to humor you, I gave it a shot. I thought that worked out well!
You will have to look elsewhere for enlightenment however.

I'm going to zip up my coat, put on my mittens, walk over here and stand in the corner, and apologize.

To those who were offended by my comment, please accept my sincere apology.

Using the term Gestapo when referring to someone is to express utter contempt for that person (unless you're a Nazi sympathizer or something i suppose). Trying to dumb-down the established meaning and/or implications of the word with "good intentions" is retarded (imho). Perhaps if a winkie emoticon was placed in immediate proximity it would have been passable [but still, none too bright.]

Poor taste to say the least.
[PS: did you "sincerely" stand in the corner?]

dkmarsh #3670 09/14/09 07:53 AM

> I invite you to spend a few weeks poring over thread after thread in search of that black and white line which some of you folks seem to believe exists between those posts which are clearly misplaced or gratuitious or otherwise counterproductive to the thread in which they're made and those posts which should clearly stay where they are.

Perhaps some clarification of where the fuzzy grey line has meandered will shed some light on where the sharp black one ought to be drawn.

I'm still curious why our discussion of "Test user accounts... Admin or Standard," which was initiated by you, a Mod, and is clearly of importance to the general FTM troubleshooting community, was left buried in a thread about "Opening PDFs In Safari Window" until I separated it on my own (after two requests to the Mods went unanswered).

Last edited by artie505; 09/14/09 08:03 AM. Reason: Add link

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Hal Itosis #3671 09/14/09 07:58 AM

Have you thought about getting your little buddy to run in an "infinite loop" (aka "splat") rather than the ragged "infinity" se's meandering in now?

I know you're creative enough to do it.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #3832 09/16/09 08:56 AM

Sometimes silence is golden...sometimes eloquent. frown

artie505 #3852 09/16/09 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Sometimes silence is golden...sometimes eloquent. frown

Oh sorry, i just assumed the "question" was entirely rhetorical (as it's so far off topic).   smile
Answer: no... i haven't thought about it (nor am i likely to invest the time toward that end).

Hal Itosis #3897 09/17/09 01:12 AM

See. The software forces us to select someone to respond to. That leads to misunderstandings like this, due to lack of keen observation, and of the other kind, due to laziness, or lack of a neutral option.

Gregg #3906 09/17/09 02:17 AM

Are you talking to me? . . . About what?

Hal Itosis #3921 09/17/09 06:30 AM

I wasn't dunning you for a response, Hal; the question was rhetorical.

My reference was to my response to dk.

Hal Itosis #3929 09/17/09 12:53 PM

No, but part of it is about your post #3852. Artie's post #3832 is a reply to his previous post. Note the [Re: Artie505]. As Artie explains in his (for now) last post, the aforementioned previous post (for now, the post prior to his previous post) he was really responding to someone who had previously posted, but had not, and for now, has not subsequently posted. I'm sure that clears things up.

Gregg #4020 09/19/09 09:42 AM

I'll bet you can tie some incredible knots without ever letting go of the ends of the rope! grin

artie505 #4035 09/19/09 06:02 PM

I just figured you'd post again.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard