FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Internet of Things security: Don't drive that jeep
artie505 #35593 08/18/15 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Are hospitals really run on a basis that puts money ahead of life on their "To Save" lists?

I did not say cost was at the top of the list of considerations. Patient safety and quality of care are at the top of most hospital's priority list and the complex integrated patient management systems play a critical role in that. But hospitals in the United States operate in a competitive environment and when costs get too high the third party payers will not pay anything and the hospital goes out of business. A famous charity hospital in Chicago may have to close (or may have already done so) because they held costs so low the Sisters who run it can no longer pay the bills. It could be argued they did not do a cost/benefit analysis or more likely the weighting was out of kilter. The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center just completed the newest and most modern hospital in the DFW metroplex and arguably the United States. because a cost/benefit analysis revealed it was more cost effective to start from scratch rather than try to bring its predecessor up to current standards. They were in danger of being closed for failure to meet minimum standards.

So the cost/benefit analysis has to be made to not do so is fiscal insanity. The same can be said of manufacturing automobiles, airplanes, stiffer clothes, underwear, fertilizer, petrochemicals or constructing buildings, bridges, highways, houses, etc. in fact virtually every aspect of our lives is subject to a cost/benefit analysis at some level. I guarantee hospital corporations, religious institutions, hospital districts, federal/state/local governments all do it and it is not wrong. It is the weighting given each of the various factors including cost that makes the difference.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35606 08/19/15 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
So the cost/benefit analysis has to be made to not do so is fiscal insanity.

That's excellent logic when your product merely affects life, but you get into some pretty dangerous ethical territory when your product IS life.

I wonder how the DA would have reacted if somebody had died because a cost-effective decision left an entire medical facility headless?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #35886 09/06/15 07:00 AM

And here's a cheery little op-ed piece to share ironically on Labor Day weekend:
The Internet of Way Too Many Things

artie505 #35898 09/06/15 06:52 PM

I wonder how the DA would have reacted if somebody had died because a cost-effective decision left an entire medical facility headless?

How would the DA react if the medical facility operated at a loss, went bankrupt and closed so the doors were locked when the ambulance arrived with a dying patient?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #35899 09/06/15 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
And here's a cheery little op-ed piece to share ironically on Labor Day weekend:
The Internet of Way Too Many Things
I know a lot of RVers who would love to have that black plastic propane sensor ring on their rigs. I don't know how big the market would be for backyard barbecuers but it would be a goldmine at Camping World. smile

As for the Leeo, why is that needed when smoke alarms are already available at less money and are linked to the home security system controlled by a smart phone?

I do see the need for improved WiFi technology that will have enough bandwidth to support all of the WiFi linked devices, enough channels so the neighbor's WiFi does not interfere with yours, and unbreakable security schemes to protect the network and devices from intrusion by the bad guys.

Ms Arieff makes some valid points in her op ed about integration, usability, sustainability, privacy and security. But I think her reservations are overstated. This technology's had a long infancy. I first read about a Mac being used as a voice controlled home automation center over 20 years ago in Popular Mechanics and the author was doing many/most of the things then that are just now coming to your local home store. The technology and its accompanying industry are finally moving from their infancy into a vigorous adolescence. As with all adolescents, mistakes will be made, there will be no small amount of trial and error. But just as we eventually matured into productive adults, I expect home automation technology to eventually mature into a useful and productive tool.

Thinking back, you should have seen my first Ohio Scientific computer in the late 1970s: Three different 8 bit processors (8080, 6502, 6800), 16 KB of RAM, an 8" floppy disk drive, an 8" green monitor, and a jury-rigged IBM Selectric for a printer and compare that to the Apple Watch on my wrist today orders of magnitude faster, more powerful, more useful and costs a small fraction of what I paid for that first home computer in real dollars. I can't wait to see what is available in the next 10 years — in the next 5 years! If the luddites don't get us.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35901 09/06/15 09:02 PM

... I can't wait to see what is available in the next 10 years — in the next 5 years! If the Luddites don't get us.

Oooo, we gonna getcha, you betcha. grin crazy tongue

joemikeb #35903 09/06/15 10:23 PM

As for the Leeo, why is that needed when smoke alarms are already available at less money and are linked to the home security system controlled by a smart phone?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2014/07/16/nest-hack-privacy-tool/
Originally Posted By: Grelber
Oooo, we gonna getcha, you betcha.

I think there is a future in Faraday Cages.

joemikeb #35904 09/06/15 11:11 PM

How would the DA react if the medical facility operated at a loss, went bankrupt and closed so the doors were locked when the ambulance arrived with a dying patient?

Possibly with personal outrage, but not as if possible criminal negligence were involved.

Last edited by artie505; 09/07/15 05:38 AM. Reason: Better response

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #35906 09/06/15 11:38 PM

Thinking back, you should have seen my first Ohio Scientific computer in the late 1970s: Three different 8 bit processors (8080, 6502, 6800), 16 KB of RAM, an 8" floppy disk drive, an 8" green monitor, and a jury-rigged IBM Selectric for a printer and compare that to the Apple Watch on my wrist today orders of magnitude faster, more powerful, more useful and costs a small fraction of what I paid for that first home computer in real dollars. I can't wait to see what is available in the next 10 years — in the next 5 years! If the luddites don't get us.

Your IBM Selectric did not have auto-correct. tongue

slolerner #35909 09/07/15 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner

Your IBM Selectric did not have auto-correct. tongue

But it does have a correcting key, at least the Correcting 'Selectric' Typewriter does — and I say "does" because I'm still using my Selectric II typewriter regularly — even if jury-rigging it to serve as a printer couldn't make use of same. smirk

grelber #35911 09/07/15 03:30 PM

I regret I didn't snag a Selectric when everyone was dumping them. Maybe one of the best products ever.

slolerner #35913 09/07/15 06:40 PM

I regret I didn't snag a Selectric when everyone was dumping them. Maybe one of the best products ever.

My wife bought one of the last of the Selectrics to use for work on her MTh and later preparing bulletins for church. She loved it and used it until I introduced her to a document formatting program based on the Standardized General Markup Language suing an IBM PC. The Selectric became surplus a few short weeks thereafter. (Later she returned the favor by introducing me to the Apple computer.)

When last heard of that Selectric was being used by a missionary somewhere in Africa. It was eventually replaced there by a Royal portable manual typewriter because the ribbons for the Selectric were too hard to come by and maintenance service was non-existent. The Royal portable has since been replaced by an iPad.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35914 09/08/15 12:35 AM

IMHO, "look and feel" of an ipad will never replace "rhythm and sound" of a Selectric.

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
In the TV series Mad Men, which is set during the early- to mid-1960s, Selectric II typewriters are featured prominently on the secretaries' desks, even though they were not introduced until 1971. In his 2008 DVD commentary, creator Matthew Weiner said the Selectric was chosen for his show for aesthetic reasons and because of the difficulty of assembling the required number of period-appropriate conventional electric typewriters.

...I introduced her to a document formatting program based on the Standardized General Markup Language suing an IBM PC.

When did 'guessing' replace spellchecking?

Last edited by slolerner; 09/08/15 01:10 AM. Reason: more
slolerner #35916 09/08/15 01:27 PM

IMHO, "look and feel" of an iPad will never replace "rhythm and sound" of a Selectric.

No argument there! But you will have to admit the iPad is a lot more portable and offers a lot more features.
When did 'guessing' replace spellchecking?

Since the spellchecker could not differentiate between two correctly spelled words.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35917 09/08/15 01:59 PM

Quote:
But you will have to admit the iPad is a lot more portable and offers a lot more features.

Admitted. smile Since my back injury, it hurts to even think about lifting one these days.

slolerner #35937 09/09/15 08:15 PM

So, here is something a little quirky I discovered about the iPad autocorrect. I typed Windows (cap W) in an email but spelled it Windiws by mistake. It does not autocorrect. Try it.

slolerner #35940 09/10/15 02:55 AM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

Autocorrect ignores capitalized words, because they're likely to be proper names, which autocorrect has a terrible time with.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #35944 09/10/15 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Autocorrect ignores capitalized words, because they're likely to be proper names, which autocorrect has a terrible time with.

And lately I've been using that to disable auto correct on-the-fly when I want to put something not quite grammatically correct in a text msg etc. I tend to use slang to add appropriate emotion etc to my texts, and autocorrect really hates on me. it doesn't care for sound fx either... tongue

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36547 10/20/15 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Grelber
Oooo, we gonna getcha, you betcha.

"PBS: Rise of the Hackers"
Stuxnet on the loose. Don't drive that Jeep.

Virtual1 #36565 10/21/15 01:16 PM
tacit Offline OP
OP Offline

I've noticed that the autocorrect in iOS 8 is much worse than that in iOS 7, and iOS 9 makes it worse still. It's like it tries to be too smart; it will substitute a common word for a less common (but still correct) word, sometimes leading to comical results. It's really frustrating.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #36573 10/21/15 04:14 PM

As far as I know, I have invented a game. It consists of composing a text using only the suggestions provided by autocorrect/anticipatory typing in iOS.

An interesting related question is using the above method only, what percentage of the resulting texts are 1.) sensible; 2.) what you wanted to say? wink

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #36580 10/22/15 12:49 AM

3.) Poetry smirk

Game on!

slolerner #36587 10/22/15 01:01 PM

4) Proffit!

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
slolerner #36588 10/22/15 04:35 PM

Cool. Go for it! grin

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #36596 10/22/15 10:17 PM

Ok, but now that I installed ios9 the word suggestions no longer come up above the keyboard,

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard