An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Accident changes access protocols--How to fix it?
#35728 08/24/15 07:22 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I use Apple's Mail Application. My iPhone 4S has three email addresses, all POP3, on comcast.net. I accidentally dropped the phone but managed to minimize the thud on the table top. The phone still works with one exception. One of the addresses now shows a warning window that says ""Cannot Get Email--The mail server "imap.comcast.net" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings.""

I cannot figure out how to "change" it back to POP3. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
Re: Accident changes access protocols--How to fix it?
JoBoy #35730 08/24/15 09:16 PM

I just spent half an hour trying to change an existing account from IMAPA to POP and vice-versa without success. At this point I can think of two possibilities you might try…
  1. Restore your iPhone from backup (assuming you have been baking up regularly and recently) or…
  2. Deleting the account on the iPhone and setting it up from scratch. (This has the distinct disadvantage that you may lose any messages you had downloaded to your iPhone. — another reason to use IMAP rather than POP.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35732 08/24/15 09:46 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I tried the backup, but it was made after the problem occurred and before I discovered the problem. I only have one backup on there as far as I can tell. I have the iPhone backup (on iTunes) set for "This computer" because I still don't use iCloud. I believe that has something to do with limiting my backup to one selection.

I've thought about downloading an earlier version by going to Time Machine and picking only one application containing iPhone Mail, but I'm not sure I can find such a thing. I was going to try it but you probably know the answer, so I'll wait to hear from you. Best regards.

Last edited by JoBoy; 08/24/15 09:48 PM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #35734 08/24/15 11:07 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

After looking carefully at Time Machine, my thought about finding something for iPhone just didn't make any sense. Sorry to have polluted the place with that red herring.

I stopped using imap because Google seemed to have a stranglehold on it and I was in an anti-google mood. I didn't want to be forced to use a Google app and I couldn't seem to avoid it.

I'm stuck with deleting Mail on the iPhone and starting over. That's tedious, but a sure thing and it won't harm Mail on the Mac which is my repository. I keep the email content on the iPhone much smaller than on the Mac version. I especially avoid keeping large messages and pictures on the iPhone version. Thanks for the assist. Since you had surgery a while ago, I'll disclose that I've had a bad hip for the last couple of years. It's finally so bad that I'm having a hip replacement operation in the next few weeks. Best regards.

JoBoy #35739 08/25/15 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: JoBoy
I stopped using imap because Google seemed to have a stranglehold on it and I was in an anti-google mood. I didn't want to be forced to use a Google app and I couldn't seem to avoid it.

Google has little or nothing to do with the IMAP standard. In fact the Google implementation could be more accurately thought of as pseudo-IMAP. The IMAP standard is controlled by the Internet Engineering Task Force as are almost all internet communications standards. IMAP is the default protocol for Apple's iCloud email as well as any number of other providers. It is specifically designed and engineered for an environment where the email account is accessed from multiple devices. So do not tar all IMAP providers with the same brush you used on Gmail.

I'm stuck with deleting Mail on the iPhone and starting over. That's tedious, but a sure thing and it won't harm Mail on the Mac which is my repository. I keep the email content on the iPhone much smaller than on the Mac version. I especially avoid keeping large messages and pictures on the iPhone version. Thanks for the assist.

At least you have somewhere to go to recover your data. Personally all my Photos etc. are safely ensconced on iCloud. There isn't nearly enough room on either my iPhone or iPad for all of them, but they are accessible as long as I have a working data connection.

Since you had surgery a while ago, I'll disclose that I've had a bad hip for the last couple of years. It's finally so bad that I'm having a hip replacement operation in the next few weeks. Best regards.

FWIW everyone I have know to have hip replacement surgery has had excellent results so your prognosis should be equally good. But being in the hospital is not for sissies so you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35741 08/25/15 01:00 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for the encouragement re hip replacement. That's what I've heard as well. I picked the orthopedic surgeon with the best record in my area.

I've caved in to iCloud and enabled it as far as I understand it. I need help changing my three email accounts to IMAP and how to start from zero with the one that I have trouble with. I have not tried to delete Mail on the iPhone so maybe there's a better way to handle this now that you've convinced me. This may also serve as a help to others who will come along later. If you can spare the time, I will be a willing student.

joemikeb #35750 08/25/15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I just spent half an hour trying to change an existing account from IMAPA to POP and vice-versa without success.

I don' think I've ever seen that work properly. best to create local folders, drag mail you want keep from the account folders to the locals to copy them, delete the account, and create it again.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
JoBoy #35761 08/25/15 05:28 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I began to implement iCloud on my Mac Pro and found that it tried to force me into doing things I don't want to do and to spend money I don't want to spend. I bagged it.

I'm reading up on IMAP, but any further assistance would be appreciated.

joemikeb #35765 08/25/15 07:44 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm beginning to feel the pressure of getting ready for surgery. I'm filling out a questionnaire that will take a long time. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning where a surgery date will be set after he sees what shape I am in. The point is, I'm feeling the pinch of not being able to change over to IMAP. Both my iPhone and my Mac Pro versions of Mail are POP3. Virtual1 gives advice that also gets my attention that this will be no small task. So...I'd like to be able to fix the single email address that is damaged and keep it in POP3 for now.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to restore the damaged email address in the simplest way possible. Sorry to have to do this, but I believe you, more than most people, will appreciate what's ahead for me and how much preparation is required.

JoBoy #35766 08/25/15 10:09 PM

Actually V1 has what I believe is the easiest and most direct solution and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes for each of your three accounts. IIRC those are Charter email accounts so you will find complete instructions on how to switch from POP to IMAP including how to save your existing POP messages here. Note Charter recommends different server settings for mobil (iOS) and desktop devices.

I recommend changing your iOS devices first and then when those are working and you know you have the POP messages safely transferred change your Mac settings. You will find the setup on your iOS device in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. If you need detailed instructions for deleting and initializing an account let me know and I will provide step-by-step instructions, either for iOS or OS X. Deleting a POP account and re-creating it as IMAP really isn't a big deal and should take no more than a few minutes for each account.

By-the-way, I cheat on all those medical forms. I download them as PDFs or scan them in as PDFs and use PDFPenPro or Adobe Acrobat to convert them to PDF forms. Then they can be filled out and printed in either of those apps or even in Preview. It saves a ton of time and the clerks at the hospital aren't faced with interpreting my hen scratches. cool

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35769 08/25/15 11:47 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you. I really appreciate the assist. My doing it will have to wait until after tomorrow's early morning doctor appointment and what he decides to do.

joemikeb #35807 08/29/15 01:04 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Sorry for the delay, but the pain of the X-ray positioning added to the already very painful hip and I couldn't do anything yesterday but lie in bed looking for the least painful position. They did acknowledge that my cartilage is virtually gone on the femoral head so they have scheduled me for surgery on Sept 8. This is a big favor because the surgeon has a long list of patients. I will get an artificial hip that is projected to last 20 years.

I'd like to lay out the situation as best I can without disclosing actual names of the accounts for obvious reasons. I've decided to leave the iCloud on for both Mac Pro and iPhone 4S, but I'm only using iCloud Drive, Contacts, Calendars and Keychain on the Mac Pro and iCloud Drive, Contacts, and Calendars on my iPhone.

I do not want to mess with Charter. I need to keep things as they are considering the large number of people who have one or more of my email addresses. It's sort of like passing out business cards and then changing the information. What's the use?

I still have a lot of pain, so I need a step by step tutelage without a lot of explanation. That sounds bad, but I'm not in my best condition. However, having one of my iPhone addresses out of order is costing me missed communications so I'm kind of forced to do something even when I don't feel like doing it. I'll try to return the favor sometime if possible. Don't worry about my existing messages on the iPhone. I'll settle for setting it up and having it ready to go. I can test it by sending messages after the installation of a fresh Mail app. On the other hand, I want to be exquisitely careful when we get to the Mac Pro's Mail app since it contains the crown jewels so to speak. I have my iPhone in front of me, so I'll keep watching for your replies.
Best regards.

JoBoy #35809 08/29/15 03:11 PM

Sorry about your discomfort. My son is a Radiologist and has often said the only part of his job he does not like is the necessity of putting patients into sometimes very uncomfortable positions as that is the only way to get a clear image of the area being studied. He also says it is bad enough when you have to do that with adults, but even worse when the patient is a child.

Changing your access to your Charter accounts will not change either your email address or the password you use with the account. It would simply change the way Charter manages your email storage and how Mail accesses the account.

The process involves deleting each account and then setting it up again. On your iOS device(s):
  1. To delete the account
    1. Navigate to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts
    2. Touch the right arrow ( > )to the right of the account to be deleted
    3. At the bottom of the list of services for the account touch Delete Account
  2. To set the account up as IMAP
    1. Navigate to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Accounts
    2. At the bottom of the list of accounts touch Add Account
    3. At the bottom of the list of common accounts, touch Other
    4. Under Mail touch Add Mail Account
    5. Enter the information requested (Note the email is your actual email address for that account including the domain)
    6. Touch Next at the top right of the screen - at that point you will see a message "Looking up account"
    7. on the New Account Screen IMAP should be selected by default but if not touch IMAP
    8. Mail should fill in the correct settings, but just in case the correct settings for the incoming and outgoing email servers will be found here — be sure to use the settings recommended for Mobil devices.
    9. Touch Next at the top right of the screen
    10. Mail will verify your account.
Repeat the preceding for each of your Charter accounts.

— Albert Einstein
JoBoy #35824 08/31/15 12:33 PM

I do not want to mess with Charter. I need to keep things as they are considering the large number of people who have one or more of my email addresses. It's sort of like passing out business cards and then changing the information. What's the use?

Cell phone numbers and landlines are now portable, that's nice to finally see.

Postal addresses, at least you can have your mail forwarded for awhile, and get some from the new residents for as long as they're tolerant of it I guess.

But about the only sure-fire way to keep your email under your belt forever is to own your own domain name and get your email through there. That way, you can change ISPs or even hosting providers, and pack up your domain name and move to somewhere else.

Most registrars are pretty reasonable with their prices to register a domain with them and do email-only hosting. You might want to look into it if you're going to have to change. There's no fixing the situation you're in, but you can prevent it from happening again in the future. Or go with someone not tied to your ISP, like gmail, though it's getting difficult to come up with a name that's not already taken. (that's less than 30 characters)

Y'know, if the US Postal Service wants to get their act together and get back to improving the value they provide to their customers, they really ought to look at modernizing how mail is addressed and delivered. Surely somewhere they have an enormous database of all the postal addresses in the USA. It can't be THAT difficult to start keying on name as well as address, and offer a more permanent forwarding system that doesn't rely on some guy in the mail room at your local depot to spot and re-address it. The reason you can only do it for a month or so is because they haven't done anything to automate the process and would be overwhelmed if they had to forward mail for many of their patrons for months or years.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35829 08/31/15 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Y'know, if the US Postal Service wants to get their act together and get back to improving the value they provide to their customers, they really ought to look at modernizing how mail is addressed and delivered. Surely somewhere they have an enormous database of all the postal addresses in the USA. It can't be THAT difficult to start keying on name as well as address, and offer a more permanent forwarding system that doesn't rely on some guy in the mail room at your local depot to spot and re-address it. The reason you can only do it for a month or so is because they haven't done anything to automate the process and would be overwhelmed if they had to forward mail for many of their patrons for months or years.
And then one hacker gets into that database and randomly scrambles the name - location linkages and that is the end of snail mail and package delivery as we know it. 👿

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35865 09/02/15 08:24 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I only have time to say that I'm in an intensive physical therapy regimen where I'm doing exercises and becoming proficient on crutches and building up some strength lost due to the serious hip pain that has stopped me from exercising for a couple of years. All this is to enhance the ultimate result and to minimize complications. Right now, my brain focuses at least 85% on the pain and 15% on cognitive function. That is why I have needed your step by step process, but it appears now that it will be three or four weeks before I will be able to get back to my iPhone's problems. I really appreciate your help and apologize for having to postpone the effort, but I hope to be a better student when the pain is gone. Thanks again.

JoBoy #35869 09/03/15 12:30 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress but…

Right now healing is your job one. So keep your eyes on the prize and don't sweat the small stuff.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36425 10/13/15 10:23 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

This is just an update on my condition. I continue to have pain in the wound through which the artificial hip was installed. The new hip is doing fine, but the tissue that had to be cut to enable the installation is still quite painful. I'm walking 2 city blocks with a cane. This is about a quarter of a mile. Some days I do it twice. However, my brain is still about 80% focused on the pain and 20% on cognitive function. Good progress is being made, but I'm not yet ready to deal with the issues we've discussed in this thread. I miss this gang and hope to be back soon.

JoBoy #36426 10/13/15 10:35 PM

Happy to hear that you're doing well!

Focus on your recovery, and we'll see you again then.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
JoBoy #36428 10/14/15 12:57 PM

Have you asked your surgeon (or better yet the anesthesiologist — pain management is a sub specialty of anesthesiology) about the possibility of a Tens unit to reduce the pain? I know they work well with some kinds of pain and it might help you walk more to speed the healing.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36438 10/14/15 08:52 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I deeply appreciate your interest in my welfare. I think you know by now that I hold you in highest esteem. Although I thought of giving a detailed description of my adventures in hip replacement surgery, I don't feel comfortable doing that. Suffice it to say that I am in the best of hands and have had a wonderful result. I have chosen to go without pain medication of any kind. This is why I am distracted by pain. However, the intensity of the pain is decreasing every day. My cognitive function is clear, but distracted by pain. When I feel ready to focus properly with the problem that started this thread, I'll say so. In the meantime, I deeply appreciate the friendship in this forum. Best regards.

joemikeb #37363 11/22/15 04:10 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm now 10 weeks post-op and am able to walk without crutches or cane for several blocks, but I'm not yet able to carry a full load of work. I appreciate your patience while I took a long break from the forum.

I have received a lot of updates to my operating system, many of which were primarily aimed at ElCapitan, I decided today to upgrade my Mac operating system from Yosemite to ElCapitan 10.11.1 and to update my iPhone to iOS 9.1. These updates were the easiest and quickest ones I've ever had. Not one glitch and very quick.

In the process, I found that my iPhone 4S can now send messages, but it still cannot receive them. I don't know if what I'm about to propose is possible, but I'd like to give it a try if it isn't too late to change direction. What I'd like to do is reinstall the iPhone but not go to the trouble of converting it to IMAP and just restore it to POP 3. There may be an opportunity in the near future when I can acquire a new iPhone 6S Plus that I can configure with IMAP. I have a lot of fish to fry right now and I would be happy with POP 3 as a short term fix. I don't need to transfer messages to it. I'd just like to get it up and running without filling it up with old messages. The Mail app for the Mac has a complete record of the history.

Would you be willing to help me achieve this goal?

I'm booked solid tomorrow, but I'll be back on the air Monday. Best regards.

JoBoy #37383 11/23/15 04:48 PM

[quote=JoBoy What I'd like to do is reinstall the iPhone but not go to the trouble of converting it to IMAP and just restore it to POP 3[/quote]

To get POP mail on your iPhone is not too difficult, just do not let the Mail app automatically set-up and add your account(s); it would do it as IMAP.

In your iPhone's Settings, go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendar", scroll down to "Add Account" and from the default list of providers choose "Other". Once there you will need to manually enter the POP settings that your ISP/mail provider uses. You can usually find those settings by going to the provider's web site and rummaging around help for mail. That should do it.

You can then delete the IMAP versions of the account(s) on your phone.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #37415 11/24/15 07:37 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for the assist. After carefully following your instructions, there is still a glitch. I'm now convinced that there is some mechanical problem caused when I dropped the phone. It's time for a new phone. In the meantime, the iPhone 4S is still good for a lot of things, but email on that one account isn't one of them. I still have two other accounts and that will be OK for now.

I feel as though I've been a pain in the neck while I've been having my pain in the hip. My apologies to all. Best regards.

JoBoy #37436 11/25/15 05:22 PM

Thank you for the assist. After carefully following your instructions, there is still a glitch. I'm now convinced that there is some mechanical problem caused when I dropped the phone. It's time for a new phone. In the meantime, the iPhone 4S is still good for a lot of things, but email on that one account isn't one of them. I still have two other accounts and that will be OK for now.

I feel as though I've been a pain in the neck while I've been having my pain in the hip. My apologies to all. Best regards.

No apologies necessary. After all, it's one of the things for which we are all here.

Out of curiosity, what is the "glitch" to which you refer?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard