for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
iPhone can't connect to internet
#35820 08/31/15 05:21 AM
OP Online

I just inherited an iPhone 4(not sure which model) running iOs 7.2.1, which, according to this Apple doc, is compatible with my AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation), but it can't find the network.

All help will be very much appreciated by a complete iPhone neophyte.

Thanks.

Update: It looks like my problem is that I haven't got AirPort Utility installed, so I've got it d/l'ed in iTunes, but it won't install.

Update 2: I think I'm running into trouble because the iPhone is still authorized on my daughter's Mac.

Update 3: I need an internet connection to restore; is there any way to get one without having AirPort Utility on the iPhone? (Do I need to d/l AU from my daughter's account to get it to install?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: iPhone can't connect to internet
artie505 #35825 08/31/15 02:32 PM

I don't recall Airport Utility app on your phone being a requirement for it to work? You may need to check what security types you have enabled on your airport - the iPhone may not be compatible with older protocols offered by an older airport. Also make sure you haven't disabled SSID broadcating, turned on MAC filtering, or done anything else to intentionally restrict access to your airport.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #35827 08/31/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I just inherited an iPhone 4(not sure which model) running iOs 7.2.1, which, according to this Apple doc, is compatible with my AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Generation), but it can't find the network.
  • Your iPhone 4 is only compatible with the 2.4GHz band and cannot access networks on the 5GHz band. You will need to check your AE settings to be sure it is on the 2.4GHz band. A dual band AE should be on both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands but there may be a different name for each band.
  • On the iPhone, go to Settings > WiFi (it may be Airport in iOS 7) and be sure…
    1. WiFi (Airport) is ON
    2. Ask to join networks is ON
    3. Does your WiFi network show up under under CHOOSE A NETWORK?
    4. Touch Other… and type in the exact name of your network, select the network security you are using (probably WPA or WPA2) and see if it shows up there.

Update: It looks like my problem is that I haven't got AirPort Utility installed, so I've got it d/l'ed in iTunes, but it won't install.

Airport Utility on the iPhone can be used to check and/or edit the configuration of your Apple network devices such as Airport Extreme, Airport Express, or Time Capsule. It has nothing whatsoever to do with connecting your iPhone to the network any more than Airport Utility on the Mac is necessary to connect to a WiFi network. If AU were required it would be a standard app and could not be deleted.

Update 2: I think I'm running into trouble because the iPhone is still authorized on my daughter's Mac.

That may cause problems if you attempt to purchase anything from the App Store, but an iOS device may be associated with one, two, or more Apple accounts without any difficulty other than different apps belonging to different Apple ids. That has nothing to do with network connectivity.
Update 3: I need an internet connection to restore; is there any way to get one without having AirPort Utility on the iPhone? (Do I need to d/l AU from my daughter's account to get it to install?)

You do not need AU nor do you need authorization from your daughter's account but I would recommend that once you get on the network you…
  1. On the iPhone navigate to Settings > App and iTunes Stores and touch on Apple ID:
  2. Touch View Apple ID
  3. IF the Apple ID is your daughter's, touch Remove This Device. You will probably need your daughters Apple ID password.

Like any Apple computer or device the iPhone should have been completely erased before you got it and then the account setup from scratch. If this was not done
  1. to be on the safe side connect the iPhone to power
  2. Go to Settings > General > Reset
  3. Touch Erase All Content and Settings
  4. When the iPhone Reboots you will have go through the full setup routine but you will have a clean iPhone and the associated Apple ID will be yer own and not your daughter's.
  5. CAUTION: Those instruction will work on iOS 8 and iOS 9 but with iOS 7 you may have to have a USB connection to iTunes on your Mac and reset the iPhone using iTunes.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/31/15 04:16 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35840 09/01/15 06:23 AM
OP Online

Great post; thanks! smile

Well, had I been in thoughtful, rather than grasping at straws, mode I'd have realized that if AirPort Utility were a necessity it would, as you've said, have been on the iPhone by default, and had I thought of checking the phone's specs I'd have found, also as you said, "802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)"...my precise problem, because I was in "n 5GHz only".

I changed my AirPort option and turned off "Find My iPhone", the phone is right now being restored via iTunes, and I'll have my camera. (I've got no intention of purchasing a phone plan, so I guess I'll more or less have an iPod touch.)

Oops! I just realized that I overlooked the "Remove This Device" step, but I imagine it can be done from my daughter's new iPhone if necessary.

Two observations:

1. Jumping back and forth between three different screens to enter my daughter's iCloud password with its alternating letters, numbers, and special characters (Edit: combined with having an inordinate amount difficulty hitting the right keys) was perhaps the most infuriatingly frustrating experience I've ever had, and I can envision a lot of people using simple, insecure passwords to avoid it.

I'd suggest that iOs include a "Password Mode" in which the keyboard would become full-screen with all letters, numbers, and special characters available.

2. I could have gone from iTunes 8 to 10 to access the phone, but I went all the way to 11, and I'm pleased to see that whatever it was I hated about 9 is no longer around and that iTunes no longer jumps the gun and pops up a "Not Connected" warning on my AirPort connection when I wake my deuced Mac(hina) from sleep, rather it waits an appropriate period of time and connects.

One small step out of the dark ages (for both me and Apple)! grin

Thanks, again.

Last edited by artie505; 09/01/15 08:59 AM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #35843 09/01/15 01:26 PM

I'd suggest that iOs include a "Password Mode" in which the keyboard would become full-screen with all letters, numbers, and special characters available.

Artie you are just a tad bit behind the times. 😀 On the iPhone 6 the OS and many apps can be authorized to accept a fingerprint identification so you only enter the password once and after that simply touch the Home button/Touch ID sensor with your thumb or forefinger. No special password mode is needed.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35844 09/01/15 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Artie you are just a tad bit behind the times. 😀

But he's a bit ahead of me….I'm still using an early model Motorola RazR. laugh

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #35845 09/01/15 01:58 PM

…the phone is right now being restored via iTunes, and I'll have my camera.

If you are serious about using your iPhone as a camera there are third party optical lenses available that will greatly enhance its use in photography. Optrix , olloclip, Photojo, and Schneider Optics all offer a variety of wide angle, telephoto, zoom, and macro lens systems for the iPhone 4. I have an Optrix Exolens for my iPhone 6 Plus with a 3X telephoto and 135º wide angle lenses and it is amazing how much they have extend my photographic options.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35848 09/01/15 02:59 PM

my current favorite photography accessory on my iPhone 5s is my FLIR

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flir-one/id875842742?mt=8

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
joemikeb #35856 09/02/15 07:12 AM
OP Online

Artie you are just a tad bit behind the times. 😀 On the iPhone 6 the OS and many apps can be authorized to accept a fingerprint identification so you only enter the password once and after that simply touch the Home button/Touch ID sensor with your thumb or forefinger. No special password mode is needed.

Well, yeah, but not nearly everybody has a 6, not nearly everybody will have a 6 (or better) for quite a while, and until there was a 6, nobody had one.

The shortcoming may have been corrected, but the fix came way too late in the game, and not for anywhere near all iPhone users.

(Is that feature tied in to iCloud? If it is, many people will never use it because they disdain iCloud.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/02/15 09:03 AM. Reason: Cleanup

ryck #35857 09/02/15 07:17 AM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: ryck
Artie you are just a tad bit behind the times. 😀

But he's a bit ahead of me….I'm still using an early model Motorola RazR. laugh

Unless your RazR is a Sharper Image scooter you're way ahead of me, because my iPhone has been demoted to an iPod Touch, at best, and will probably never see duty other than as a camera.

joemikeb #35858 09/02/15 07:20 AM
OP Online

…the phone is right now being restored via iTunes, and I'll have my camera.

If you are serious about using your iPhone as a camera there are third party optical lenses available that will greatly enhance its use in photography. Optrix , olloclip, Photojo, and Schneider Optics all offer a variety of wide angle, telephoto, zoom, and macro lens systems for the iPhone 4. I have an Optrix Exolens for my iPhone 6 Plus with a 3X telephoto and 135º wide angle lenses and it is amazing how much they have extend my photographic options.

Many thanks for the suggestions, but I don't expect to use the camera for much more than shooting sneakers for posting on eBay.

artie505 #35864 09/02/15 05:40 PM

….my iPhone has been demoted to an iPod Touch, at best, and will probably never see duty other than as a camera.

….and my RazR never sees duty as anything other than a phone so I guess we can call it a draw. We're both a tad behind the times.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #35866 09/02/15 09:41 PM
OP Online

Originally Posted By: ryck
….my iPhone has been demoted to an iPod Touch, at best, and will probably never see duty other than as a camera.

….and my RazR never sees duty as anything other than a phone so I guess we can call it a draw. We're both a tad behind the times.

No draw, and quit trying to horn in on my backwardness! grin

You bought (presumably) your RazR to use as a phone, while I waited years to inherit a phone to use as a camera.

I stand so far behind you that, to my eyes, you're on the cutting edge of technology. tongue

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard