FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Best way shut off Google Maps?
#35548 08/16/15 09:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Anyone know the definitive way to tell Google maps to stop talking? (iphone app)

Sometime I arrive, and click all the x's off.

Yes the voice keeps talking, make a right here, go left now... Help! Thanks

Last edited by dianne; 08/17/15 12:45 PM. Reason: Moved from the "Mac OS X Applications" forum to "iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV."
Re: Best way shut off Google Maps?
kevs #35570 08/17/15 12:46 PM

At the bottom right of the screen you should see a column of three dots which is the menu.

Select menu. Select Mute.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #35645 08/20/15 04:58 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Diane, Do you have an idea why this is happening, and how to prevent, or stop it?

kevs #35650 08/20/15 09:20 PM

I think voice navigation is built into Google Maps. I cannot find any option to prevent or stop it in Settings -> Google Maps.

If you do not want to use the Mute icon in the menu, then lower the volume on the phone completely.
_____
Footnote:
For Maps (the Apple app), go to Settings -> Maps and select "No Voice."

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #35651 08/20/15 09:25 PM

If Kevs has arrived at his programmed destination, why would he be getting further instructions?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #35656 08/20/15 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
If Kevs has arrived at his programmed destination, why would he be getting further instructions?

You may have arrived at what you know to be the destination but not at the exact coordinates where the GPS thinks the destination is. To further complicate matters the map coordinates used by the GPS for the destination may be in error and the error tolerance may be less than the precision the GPS device is capable of. Until you are at, not near the coordinates as far as the GPS is concerned you aren't there yet even if you are standing at the door of the building. Until the GPS is either satisfied your have arrived or has been turned off it will persistently tell you how to get to where it believes the destination is.

Some mapping systems are worse than others about this. The GPS in my Volkswagen has a relatively wide tolerance and so it is very good at recognizing when you are "close enough" and terminating guidance. I have found Apple Maps in iOS 9 beta to be good about that too. The GPS in my camper and Google maps sometimes make me want to scream at them saying, "#$%@ IT I AM HERE ALREADY!" On the iPhone, I usually just double tap on the Home button, select the GPS application and swipe it to the top of the screen to completely turn it off. Not only does that silence the nagging, it saves the iPhone battery because the GPS is no longer continually querying the satellites to determine its location.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35657 08/20/15 09:57 PM

Thanks.

I hope they never build GPS into my kicks! tongue

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #35659 08/20/15 10:10 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe!

Yeah, I'm using Google Maps. Just started, What app do you like the most!

You know what? I did not know until today (have iphone seven months), how to quit an app, or that one should. They were all running, 30 of them today... Finally went on you tube to see --I thought you flick up the icon, in normal home view, that never worked, so I let it go and never bothered again... but its the image above the icon, and it double click view... so that's it, I would that would kill it!

joemikeb #35661 08/21/15 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
You may have arrived at what you know to be the destination but not at the exact coordinates where the GPS thinks the destination is.

Ya, and are my neighbours getting peeved that I keep wandering into their house. blush

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
kevs #35668 08/21/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: keys
Yeah, I'm using Google Maps. Just started, What app do you like the most!
At the present time I am using Maps. Its initial teething problems are well past, it has a good feature set, and I find it very reliable and accurate.
Originally Posted By: keys
You know what? I did not know until today (have iphone seven months), how to quit an app, or that one should. They were all running, 30 of them today... Finally went on you tube to see --I thought you flick up the icon, in normal home view, that never worked, so I let it go and never bothered again... but its the image above the icon, and it double click view... so that's it, I would that would kill it!
In iOS 9 (I am running the iOS 9 beta) it is a little different and to me more obvious. Instead of the thumbnails along the bottom of the screen the open apps are presented in a fan.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35670 08/21/15 05:19 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

How do I check what ios I'm in Joe?

You can see how opaque that is, knowing how to shut off app?

You like Apple maps more than Google maps? wow...

kevs #35671 08/21/15 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
How do I check what ios I'm in Joe?

Settings > General > About > Version

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35672 08/21/15 06:07 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

8.4.1 ok you are on beta, so I'll get the update later... no rush! But it is funny, I heard you flick up the app to quit, and tried that on normal screen, little icon, and gave up. never tried again!

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard