An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Topic Options
#35602 - 08/18/15 12:30 PM Trouble unlocking to change system preference
blschue Offline

Loc: Minnesota
New problem with my "new" computer. I had previously had problems with Migration Assistant. My problem today is when I try to unlock my security/privacy system preference after putting in my password, which is blank it continues to stay locked. I can unlock the accounts preference with no problem. Because of this, I can't put my firewall on and I can only open things to install from the app store.

MacBookPro 10.10.5

#35612 - 08/19/15 04:56 AM Re: Trouble unlocking to change system preference [Re: blschue]
Virtual1 Offline

Loc: Iowa
there is an old known issue where trying to unlock that causes it to instantly lock again. honestly it's been so long since I saw that I don't recall the fix. frown anyone else have a better memory than me?

#35622 - 08/19/15 09:12 AM Re: Trouble unlocking to change system preference [Re: blschue]
Ira L Offline

Loc: California
Try using Disk Utility in Recovery Mode (you described doing that in a post in another thread) to change your password from blank to something with characters. I seem to recall that more recent versions of OS X do not like no characters as a password.

Moderator:  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb