FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Keyboard recommendations
#35471 08/11/15 01:44 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Would anyone like to recommend a keyboard?

I've really had it with this one. I've spent a lot of time in the past researching this subject. A lot of time. An incredible amount of time. Reading and reading and reading. And I always come up empty-handed.

Maybe those chiclet keyboards are better than I thought. I just don't see many good Mac keyboards out there.

Re: Keyboard recommendations
deniro #35475 08/11/15 08:55 AM

I found that the only issue with the chiclet keyboard (wired, numeric pad) was the space bar. I had to press it slowly and deliberately or it wouldn't add a space. That said, I have kept my Apple plastic keyboard from my first Mac and use it exclusively. The wired, full chiclet keyboard sits in a drawer as a backup.

You may be able to find the old-style plastic keyboard on eBay. Do a google search.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #35478 08/11/15 01:52 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a white Apple Pro keyboard for my imac, scissor key I think. I've had it with the space bar. I remove it and put it back repeatedly, but it never has worked all that well.

I would like to get a Mac layout, so I looked at Matias but read many negative reviews. I don't mind paying more for a keyboard as long as it's worth it. I would like to try a mechanical keyboard but they appear to be too loud.

deniro #35481 08/11/15 02:36 PM

IMO the choice of keyboards is 1 part engineering, 1 part features, 3 parts touch, and 6 parts personal preference. Unfortunately the personal preference can only be determined with use. I went through several "ergonomic" keyboards and keyboards with a variety of key actions. I became convinced the best keyboard I had ever used wa the original IBM with its clickety-clack sound and positive over the center feel and finally found one that was Apple compatible for the bargain price of $125. But after years of use I became convinced between its siae and the blankety-blank USB cord it took up too much room on my desk. I invested in an Apple Wireless keybord. Initially it felt too constrained, had too soft a touch, and I didn't like it much at all. But with use it has become my keyboard of choice. I have added a wireless keypad and replaced the mouse with a wireless trackpad and can't imagine switching. (Well I might switch the wireless trackpad for one with the new 3D action.)

The point is ulnlees there is a glaring shortcoming(s), an "ideal" keyboard is one you use long enogh to get accustomed to its particualr idiosyncrasies.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
deniro #35482 08/11/15 02:52 PM

click keys for mac!

http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional-for-mac/

also known for deafening your coworkers, or as an excellent means of self-defense.

And for the hardcore users, they make a model that has NO glyphs on the keys. The entire keyboard is flat black. Better know how to touch-type! A school I worked at got one of those on my recommendation for a kid that refused to quit cheating when trying to learn to touch type. Brutally effective.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35483 08/11/15 03:37 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, I know about the Das and have read much about them. The only way for me to try one is to buy one. I can't see ever buying a keyboard without glyphs. I also consider Das high end.

My current keyboard is less than ideal. No matter how long I use it, this keyboard with its crappy space bar will continue to be unacceptable.

Long ago…

I learned how to type on an IBM Selectric typewriter. That has likely impacted affected, influenced, informed my opinions. I love that clacky IBM feel, but the Model M, which can still be found, isn't a pratical consideration. But I would like to get closer to it than I am now. Actually, I would be happy with a keyboard that worked and didn't annoy me or slow me down.

I'm not a big fan of wireless anything.

deniro #35484 08/11/15 03:57 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

deniro #35485 08/11/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
I love that clacky IBM feel, but the Model M, which can still be found, isn't a pratical consideration. But I would like to get closer to it than I am now. Actually, I would be happy with a keyboard that worked and didn't annoy me or slow me down.

Although the DAS is considered the "modern equivalent" of the Model M, there are modernized (USB) Model M's available.

My first full-time job involved supporting about 120 PCs that all used the Mode M. I loved how easy those were to maintain, even in the face of unspeakable abuse from our revolving-door drones.

"If, when you type, it sounds like you're furiously digging through a large box of legos hunting for that last elusive red 1x1 brick, you know you're using a Model M"

Virtual1 #35486 08/11/15 06:55 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

What do I need to be able to use a PC keyboard on my Mac?

deniro #35487 08/11/15 07:58 PM

Quote:

usb on the keyboard, and the ability to mentally swap the use of the cmd and option keys.

Virtual1 #35489 08/11/15 09:37 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. That sounds easy. cool

Virtual1 #35493 08/12/15 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Quote:

usb on the keyboard, and the ability to mentally swap the use of the cmd and option keys.

And to recognize "Alt" as "Control" (I think). tongue

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #35516 08/14/15 05:49 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Yeah, all I had to do was reverse the command and option keys with the Mac's Keyboard/Modifier Keys in System Preferences.

As a stopgap, I bought a $15 Logitech K120 from OfficeMax and really it's not all that bad. I have 2 wks to return it for a refund, but I'm wondering if I should just keep it. It would be nice to find something between low end and Very High end, but research has suggested there isn't much. Tough to find the features I want.

Virtual1 #36325 10/08/15 12:11 AM

I got one of those DASKEYBOARDs back in 2010 . . . all black without any letters, numbers or symbols on the keys.

Best thing I ever did for my typing skills. I use all my fingers and thumbs and never have to look at the keys to do so. My typing speed has increased exponentially. And it has the "feel" of using an electric typewriter. Clickety-Clack.

P.S. It also keeps other folks away from my computer. Because they haven't a clue what to do with the keyboard, they move on to someone else's.

grin

MG2009 #36578 10/21/15 07:31 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I kept the cheap Logitech. I like it, at least the key pressure. But I mistype quite a bit. I wonder if the keys are too close together or different somehow.

Other than that, I recommend this one. A huge surprise at $15 when I had been looking at keyboards around $150. Keyboards shouldn't be expensive.

ETA: There, you see, I had to change a typo. I'm a better typist than that.

Last edited by deniro; 10/21/15 07:32 PM.
deniro #36579 10/21/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
I kept the cheap Logitech. I like it, at least the key pressure. But I mistype quite a bit. I wonder if the keys are too close together or different somehow.
ETA: There, you see, I had to change a typo. I'm a better typist than that.

Apparently not. tongue
I suffer from the same delusion. It generally happens because one can indeed type too fast. I get a lot of typos such as New YOrk, as well as transpositions such as reporduction, because the fingers work faster than the brain.
Touch typing can be a curse as well as a blessing.

grelber #36589 10/22/15 05:30 PM

If you have penchant for the old IBM keyboards, check out Apples brand new wireless keyboard. It is the same size as the previous model, but without the rounded triple A battery pack on the back so it sits flatter on the desktop.

There are two significant differences from the previous model,
  1. ergonomically the big difference is the touch. Apple has gone to a mechanical scissor spring mechanism and in spite of the necessarily short keystroke length it has much the same feel of the old IBM keyboards. It also has a modicum of the old clickety clack sound, but very muted — you aren't going to drive others in the office crazy with the noise.
  2. Electrically it has a built in Lithium Ion battery that Apple claims will need recharging about once a month in normal use — whatever normal use is. Charging is from a USB port using a lightning connector. Pairing is automatic.

Earlier in this thread I expressed my fondness for the feel of the IBM mechanical keyboard as well as the footprint and convenience of the Apple wireless keyboard. I saw this one at the Apple store, I tried it, I bought it. Even at $99 the new Apple wireless keyboard is significantly less than the cost of a decent third party facsimile of the old IBM keyboard.

Did I mention Apple also has a new magic trackpad and magic mouse with 3D touch? But that is another story

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36618 10/23/15 05:39 PM

Do you know if the mechanical scissor mechanism is used in the new wired keyboard? Is there even a new wired keyboard? Curious.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #36622 10/23/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Do you know if the mechanical scissor mechanism is used in the new wired keyboard? Is there even a new wired keyboard? Curious.

The description of the Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad on the Apple web site reads, "…low-profile keys that provide a crisp, responsive feel." If memory serves that description has remained pretty much unchanged for years. On the other hand, the description of the new "Magic Keyboard" reads, "With an improved scissor mechanism beneath each key for increased stability, as well as optimized key travel and a lower profile". Add to that the price point of the wired keyboard is half that of the Magic keyboard which has bluetooth and a Lithium Ion Battery it would seem unlikely the more expensive scissor springs would be used.

Now if Apple would only build a Magic numeric keypad to match the Magic Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Mouse.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36627 10/24/15 01:34 PM

FWIW: Apple Magic Keyboard review: Should have called it basic. Note the first sentence of the 'Shorter travel, snappy feel' section.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #36629 10/24/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
FWIW: Apple Magic Keyboard review: Should have called it basic. Note the first sentence of the 'Shorter travel, snappy feel' section.

The review seems to say that the wired keyboard has (always had?) the scissor mechanism; further supported by the reviewers statement: "Besides its smaller size and lack of a wire, the Magic Keyboard doesn’t improve on the Wired Keyboard in any significant way."

I have always used the wired keyboard. Who knew the benefits I was experiencing?! laugh

On a Mac since 1984.
alternaut #36630 10/24/15 02:52 PM

I have always contended that keyboard, mouse, and trackpad preferences are highly individualistic and the Macworld article DK referenced is a case in point.

Admittedly my old Apple wireless keyboard is several years old and likely more than a bit worn out, but TO ME the touch of the new Magic keyboard is much crisper and more positive. I find I am typing noticeably faster and more accurately with it. Similarly, I have friends who won't drive any vehicle not made by Chevrolet while others are devotees of Honda. Personally I love my Volkswagen. The moral is, for devices like keyboards, trackpads, mice if at all possible the purchaser should try before they buy and remember that even authoritative magazine reviews are in the end someones personal opinion.

— Albert Einstein
alternaut #36662 10/25/15 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Note the first sentence of the 'Shorter travel, snappy feel' section.

There are still those of us typing with two fingers, and periodically getting fancy with a thumb, who think that "snappy" is just getting through a sentence without a typo. Sigh.

Originally Posted By: Ira L
I have always used the wired keyboard. Who knew the benefits I was experiencing?! laugh

I'm still there too. laugh

Last edited by ryck; 10/25/15 02:38 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
deniro #37120 11/11/15 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I became convinced the best keyboard I had ever used was the original IBM with its clickety-clack sound and positive over the center feel...

Same here.

My first computer keyboard experience was with an IBM model 29 keypunch which had that nice classic "kerchunk!" feel to it. And next came the Teletype model 33, which also had a really nice feel to it, despite its funny little round keys. Then I had one of the IBM PC keyboards for a while. I'm sorry I ever let it go.

Fortunately, I don't do a lot of keyboard entry nowadays, or these little chicklet keys on my Macbook would likely drive me crazy.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard