FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disposing of a broken hard drive
#35451 08/09/15 08:55 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

I mentioned this hard drive in another thread. Disk Utility sees the drive but it won't mount.

I want to get rid of the drive, but how do I do that and still guarantee that the data isn't recoverable if I can't erase the drive? Not a huge problem, I know, but I want to render the drive unusable short of using a sledgehammer.

Re: Disposing of a broken hard drive
deniro #35452 08/09/15 10:01 PM

It sounds as if you have data worth at least several thousand dollars on the drive or possibly related to criminal activities or national security. I can think of several options for you to try in order of difficulty and effectiveness;
  1. Pass a large extremely strong permanent magnet magnet repeatedly over the surface of the drive
  2. Instead of a permanent magnet use a pulsed electromagnet
  3. Unscrew the cover of the drive enclosure to expose the disk platters and then do either 1 or 2 above
  4. Remove the platters from the drive and use either a hand or bench grinder to remove all the magnetic media from the aluminum platter.
  5. Some drives use a glass platter that will shatter when struck with a hammer.
  6. Assuming aluminum platter(s) remove them from the drive and run them through a shredder

NOTE: Data could possibly be recovered after 1 or 2 but it would cost anywhere from a few thousand to a tens of thousands of dollars and would likely take many months to analyze and extract anything really useful. Even number 3 might leave some recoverable data given the resources of the NSA, FBI, or AFSS.

Last edited by joemikeb; 08/09/15 10:03 PM. Reason: *#^$ Spell Checker

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35453 08/09/15 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Edit Reason: *#^$ Spell Checker

Hahaha….good one, we've all been there. laugh

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #35454 08/09/15 11:21 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

You know, it's interesting. Whenever I've asked that question over the years, I always get a smart-aleck response.

I really did take a sledgehammer to an old drive last. Well, my neighbor did. It was too heavy for me. He owns a metal shop. He had a good time. Any excuse to swing one of those makes his day.

This was years ago. One of my know-it-all friends, who works at NVidia now, wanted to again one-up me by saying that the data was recoverable even after the sledgehammer. I knew that, of course, because I had only damaged the outside of the drive, more or less for fun. I just didn't take the time to mention that it was highly unlikely anyone would try to recover data from this particular drive. But he had to be right. He doesn't call himself a programmer anymore. He's a "software engineer."

deniro #35458 08/10/15 12:06 PM

I actually was tasked recently to research this topic to see how we should be handling it here. I decided to look and see what the three-letter-agencies recommend to their people. In the USA anyway, everyone except the NSA said that the minimum requirement was basically to "overwrite all cells once". If the media contained classified or above at any point in its lifetime, or if it's used for any purpose at the NSA, it needs to be handled in one of three ways: degauss, incinerate, or shred. (yes, physically shred HDD)

Sledgehammers and bench drills were not on anyone's approved list for data destruction.

If a wipe was not possible on a normally wipable drive, it got the "classified treatment." So that's the government's answer to your "disposal of a broken hard drive" question.

links reviewed:
- https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Securely_wipe_disk#dd
- http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1150550-using-dd-to-securely-erase-a-hard-drive/
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method
- http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/military-grade-disk-wipe-653786/
- http://www.oregon.gov/DAS/OP/docs/policy/state/107-009-005_Exhibit_B.pdf?ga=t
- http://www.killdisk.com/dod.htm
- https://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/government/MDG/NSA_CSS_Storage_Device_Declassification_Manual.pdf

the first link's summary included:
Quote:
4 Conclusion
The purpose of this paper was a categorical settlement to the controversy surrounding the misconceptions involving the belief that data can be recovered following a wipe procedure. This study has demonstrated that correctly wiped data cannot reasonably be retrieved even if it is of a small size or found only over small parts of the hard drive. Not even with the use of a MFM or other known methods. The belief that a tool can be developed to retrieve gigabytes or terabytes of information from a wiped drive is in error.

I've seen studies done where identical drives had fixed data stored on them, and then one-pass-wiped, and then sent into a mix of places for recovery. NONE of them were able to recover any data. Governments still continue to opt for higher grade security under the assumption that either there is better secret technology available at the nation-state level (which is probably a reasonable bet) or that sensitive data may still be sensitive at some point in the future when more effective recovery techniques are developed. For them (since cost is not a consideration) the stakes are just too high to settle for anything less than "the best available".

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35461 08/10/15 06:28 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Quote:
I've seen studies done where identical drives had fixed data stored on them, and then one-pass-wiped, and then sent into a mix of places for recovery. NONE of them were able to recover any data.

If only I had this information years ago. I could've really stuck it to my friend.

If the government has a recommendatoin, I'm sure it's a good one. smirk

deniro #35470 08/11/15 01:40 AM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the long reply. That was a lot of information.

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard