for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
An AirPort surprise!
#35434 08/08/15 12:38 AM
OP Online

I was going to spin a long-winded tale, but I'll just get to the point...

My deuced Mac(hina) was having problems connecting to my AirPort Express Base Station after restarting, and, ultimately, AirPlay stopped working and AirPort Utility was unable to deal with either of my two Base Stations (for different reasons, no less), although I still had wi-fi internet.

A fortuitous shut down/start up cured all ills.

Good old, basic troubleshooting still works! grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: An AirPort surprise!
artie505 #35437 08/08/15 03:05 PM

A router/Airport shutdown and restart are often as beneficial as a computer restart.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
AirPort issue corrected by SHUT-DOWN
Ira L #35445 08/08/15 10:35 PM
OP Online

I had already toggled AirPort off/on, unplugged (the only way to "turn off"), even hard-reset (which didn't take confused ), my Base Station, and restarted my deuced Mac(hina), but with no joy.

So, at that point I booted into Apple Hardware Test, and after short test came back negative I started an extended test, decided that it was pointless, and shut down with the power button rather than wait for it to stop on its own, and it was only when I started up again that things righted themselves.

It was definitely the shut-down that turned the trick. smile

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was experiencing wildly different issues with two different Base stations.

Last edited by artie505; 08/09/15 08:46 AM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: AirPort issue corrected by SHUT-DOWN
artie505 #35449 08/09/15 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

A truism so old that it is often overlooked or forgotten is a reboot (a.k.a. warm boot) is NOT the same as a shut down and boot (a.k.a. cold boot). There are a few registers in the CPU and other parts of the system that are not reset in a warm boot and only a cold boot will clear those registers. In rare cases a problem can only be solved by clearing those registers. The old "rule of thumb" was,

Originally Posted By: Rule Of Thumb
If a reboot does not clear the problem, do a cold boot.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: AirPort issue corrected by SHUT-DOWN
joemikeb #35459 08/10/15 12:17 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505

A truism so old that it is often overlooked or forgotten is a reboot (a.k.a. warm boot) is NOT the same as a shut down and boot (a.k.a. cold boot). There are a few registers in the CPU and other parts of the system that are not reset in a warm boot and only a cold boot will clear those registers. In rare cases a problem can only be solved by clearing those registers. The old "rule of thumb" was,

Also as any call to AppleCare will likely remind you, a warm boot does an abbreviated hardware POST test. Among other things, it skips the short memory test.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard