FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Conflicting DHCP Range
#35168 07/22/15 08:59 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

I've got an Airport Express, version 7.6.4. Use it for WIFI for my iMac and the wife's iPad. (If this might matter, the signal comes air born from a nearby tower to our roof antenna and is then wired from the antenna to the AE.)

Has been working fine for several years.

Now, though we both can still receive and send, Airport Utility keeps intruding itself on our screens with a blinking orange light -- also the AE has a blinking orange light instead of its usual steady green light.

Airport utility shows besides the blinking orange light a red circle with the number 1 on it. Opening the red circle I get a report: "Conflicting DHCP range". The IP address then revealed is: 69.26.67.172 and the LAN IP address then revealed is 10.0.1.1.

What's up and how to make Airport Utility motionless? Do I edit what clicking on the red circle reveals -- there is an edit button there? If so, edit what (IP address or LAN address), and edit by what numbers?

This is not a biggie. But thanks.

Re: Conflicting DHCP Range
RHV #35172 07/23/15 11:42 AM

You should call your ISP to discuss this. The steps necessary to correct the problem. There IS a problem, even if it's not affecting you yet, it likely will at some point in the future.

What you need to do depends on your circumstances, which they should know better. The most likely cause is your router is handing out 10.0 addresses and that's the address YOU have been handed out also. There's also the possibility they aren't correctly isolating traffic, or that your airport is or needs to be on pass-through, or that your airport has detected another router on their network with the same IP address as yours. (not good)

Call them and sort it out. Don't ignore the error. If they tell you to just ignore it or try to walk you through the steps to tell the airport to stop notifying you of the problem, dig deeper if you can. (talk with a higher level tech)

The last time I ran into something like this, the clowns had misconfigured their new DSLAM firewall and EVERYONE had access to EVERYONE ELSE'S network. I opened network browser and saw shared computers and printers all over town, and could connect to them, print to their printers, etc. Imagine the worm/virus traffic on a misconfigured network like that today!

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35184 07/23/15 06:08 PM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks very much for your comments.

I already phoned my ISP. It said that this was an Apple AE problem. (The usual pass it on -- "it's not us to blame".) I I phoned it again and asked for a senior person. But he said that they could do nothing. It would be different if I could not send or receive.

You realize from my post that I do not have at the cottage a router. My set up at the lake is not common in cities but is now common in rural areas. There is a nearby sending tower and on the residence structure there is an antenna or a dish that receives signals from the tower and sends signals to the tower. The unmanned tower is the router. The line from the antenna/dish plugs DIRECTLY into the computer or if one wants WIFI plugs DIRECTLY into the WAN port of AE.

I have a guess as to the problem. The problem started just recently. Just recently my son, who has a cottage on nearby land that I gave him, took up with my ISP. We might have the same IP address? Is that even possible? I'll have to walk over to see if I can find out his IP address.

If I unplug the antenna/dish line from the AE and then replug, no flashing orange light for maybe several hours of use. Does not help to restart the iMac or iPad.

Does not to help if i turn off WIFI on my iMac and use Ethernet. AE still blinks yellow and the iPad (only) still gets Airport Utility pop-ups

RHV #35191 07/24/15 12:19 PM

Unfortunately there's probably a configuration problem on their end they are unwilling to acknowledge or address. Someone there probably understands what's going on but there's some reconfiguration required that they don't feel like dealing with right now and are hoping will go away or can be ignored without causing major problems. They may have told their techs the problem is on your end, so they will explain it off to you, so don't go hard on the level 1 phone support, they may be getting fed the same line as you are. If it's a smaller operation, there may only be one person in the building that actually knows what the problem is, and doesn't want the bother of fixing it.

I doubt you will see this getting fixed anytime soon. Better learn to live with it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35202 07/25/15 11:48 AM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

Would it do any good if in the advanced pane of Network, I renewed the DHCP lease?

But I see there that I may be required to have my DHCP client ID. What's that?

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard