Junk mail filter for iPad?
#35126 07/19/15 04:15 PM
OP Offline

How do I do this? Thanks!

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
Re: Junk mail filter for iPad?
slolerner #35130 07/19/15 06:52 PM

As far as I know there is no junk mail filter per. se. for either Mail or Airmail on any iOS device. However, since…
  • All of my emails accounts are IMAP
  • My desktop computer runs 24x7
  • I leave either Mail or Airmail open on my desktop 24x7
When junk mail comes it is detected by Mail or Airmail on my desktop and moved to the junk mail folder. When I check messages on either my iPhone or iPad the junk mail appears in the junk mail folder. There is a narrow, very narrow, window of time in which I may see the message in the Inbox on an iOS device before the Desktop checks mail and moves it to the junk folder — but as I say it is a very narrow window.

FWIW an advantage I have found with Airmail is how well it works with Spamsieve.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/19/15 06:53 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35134 07/19/15 10:00 PM
OP Offline

A little nervous to use IMAP on the iPad because I may delete something that I actually wanted. I have not seen a way to dumpster-dive and get my trash back on the ipad.

What is Air Mail?

slolerner #35138 07/20/15 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
A little nervous to use IMAP on the iPad because I may delete something that I actually wanted. I have not seen a way to dumpster-dive and get my trash back on the iPad.

In an IMAP account, deleted messages go to the Trash folder on the IMAP server where it can be retained for a period of time up to forever depending on settings in the email client software. Like the Inbox folder the Trash folder is available to any device accessing your IMAP account. This is exactly the situation IMAP is designed for. The only time the full context of a message is on your computer is when you are reading it. So you can dumpster dive trashed email messages to your heart's content using your email client rather than Finder.

What is Air Mail?

Airmail is an email client for OS X 10.10 and 10.11 as well as iOS 8 and iOS 9. One of its features is the ability to configure what happens when you send or delete a message (ie. select what folder is used for Sent, Deleted, Junk, Spam messages. (on an IMAP account all those folders are on the IMAP server and not on your computer, iPhone, or iPad.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #35140 07/20/15 01:49 AM
OP Offline

I am so dense about IMAP vs POP that is a little hopeless, but my provider does not have an IMAP page, so to speak. They only have a webmail site where you have to sign in to each account separately, which means checking through many dumpsters when I'm not sure which email account contained the deleted message.

Oh, and how do I get those suggestion BOXES to go away when I am typing in an address? I don't mind the suggestion list, it is good, but those boxes feel like Flash Cookies following me around.

Last edited by slolerner; 07/20/15 01:55 AM. Reason: More
slolerner #35142 07/20/15 03:10 PM

I am so dense about IMAP vs POP that is a little hopeless, but my provider does not have an IMAP page, so to speak. They only have a webmail site where you have to sign in to each account separately, which means checking through many dumpsters when I'm not sure which email account contained the deleted message.

You may be "slolerner" but I am slow on the uptake. I long ago learned that when one assumes they are in grave danger of making a horses rear out of themselves and I am afraid I just did so. blush

I assumed you were using the Mail application on your MBP and its twin on your iPad to access your email. In that case there would be a group Inboxes, Trash, Junk, etc where you can see all the messages in all of your accounts simply by opening Mail which automatically logs you onto all your accounts at the same time and if you do a search for a message the search function searches all of the accounts. Thus neatly solving your problem. Since you are using a web portal to access all of your accounts that changes the rules of the game entirely and IMAP would not really buy you anything.

Oh, and how do I get those suggestion BOXES to go away when I am typing in an address? I don't mind the suggestion list, it is good, but those boxes feel like Flash Cookies following me around.

Here I go assuming again, but assuming you are using a web portal those will be coming from
  • Your browser's autofill function (that can be turned off in preferences)
  • The browser history, or cache files (flush everything every time you use the browser)
  • The host web site (look at the preferences there)
If you were using the Mail app those would be coming from either your Contacts (formerly AddressBook) or the list of previous recipients maintained in Mail.

— Albert Einstein
slolerner #35144 07/20/15 03:24 PM

If by "Boxes" you mean the predictive words on an iDevice that show up below the text box in which you are typing, you can get rid of them by doing the following:

•While in a text box, press and hold the emoji (smiley face) icon on the keyboard.
•A pop-up menu should appear—slide the selector for "Predictive text" so it is off.

This selection should stick throughout other text entry and after restarts. On iDevices it is possible to slide the "Boxes" down out of the way, but I have found this to be more hit and miss.

The suggestions given above relate to typing suggestions on a Mac, I believe.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard