for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Senior moment...
#35096 07/16/15 06:11 PM
OP Offline

Long story, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for the punch line.

I finally made the leap to Yosemite from Snow Leopard. 10.6.8 was the most reliable OS I have experienced, everything worked, nothing crashed and I was extremely reluctant to move from it.

I kept a drive fully up-to-date, however, just to see what the new OS's looked like, read the tech reports, etc, etc.

Finally, I had to upgrade. The modern browsers need the latest OS, many websites I use say my browsers are out of date and I've been trying to find a reliable solution to bringing USB3 to my 2010 Mac Pro.

The transition has been relatively painless. The OS works just as well, but I have to learn the new wrinkles, notifications, eye candy and whatnot. A couple weeks of tweaking.

The Sonnet Allegro USB 3 pci-e card was plug'n'play and I quickly filled up the four ports. My external Toshiba HD fills up at 9.5 Gb/minute now. The hard drive caddy mounts all my old
SATA drives @ USB 3 speeds, too. All my browsers have stopped complaining. All a small price to pay for losing GoLive.

My DreamWeaver CS3 Missing Manual arrived today. It cost £0.01 + postage. Hours of fun.

All roses until I started to get a pop-up warning: USB Devices Disabled - Unplug the device using too much power to re-enable USB devices.

Everything worked. All devices were mounting and working. The warning seemed spurious, yet I was getting it every minute or so, even when no device was drawing current.

Much internet searching ensued. The cheapest solution to try was to reset SMU and PRAM. Done. The next cheapest was the possibility that the PRAM battery was failing in my 5-year-old Mac. So, I got online and sourced a battery. It arrived today.

Okay, the punch line:

Since resetting the PRAM, I have not had a repeat of the USB warning. So, I took my new battery in its cardboard holder and pinned it up on my bulletin board next to the computer (wait for it) RIGHT NEXT TO the two other identical batteries that have been pinned there for who knows how long.

D'oh!

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
Re: Senior moment...
freelance #35098 07/16/15 07:14 PM

(at hardware store, notice a widget on an end cap) "hmmm I could use one of those." (carts it)

get home. "Oh, that's right, I already have one of those. Well I'll keep the spare downstairs on the shelf for widget stuff like this." (gets downstairs) "aaaaand I'll just set it next to the other three spares ..."

*sigh*

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35100 07/16/15 09:54 PM

Now you both understand why the dementia experts advise 40 minutes of exercise (yes, walking constitutes appropriate exercise) per day is hands down the best route to deterring ... you know. Anything which pushes oxygenated blood to the bean is good. Go for it ... rather than the batteries, etc. crazy tongue

freelance #35102 07/17/15 03:50 AM

My "spare battery" story involves a leaking toilet tank gasket in the flush mechanism.....had the running toilet issue one time too many so went off to the local big box hardware store and got TWO replacement rubber gaskets.

One to replace the leaking gasket and one to tape to the back of the tank for next time......right next to the OTHER spare gasket already taped to the back of the tank! blush

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #35104 07/17/15 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
One to replace the leaking gasket and one to tape to the back of the tank for next time......right next to the OTHER spare gasket already taped to the back of the tank! blush

See, that's the only possible plus here... I've always said I don't have a good memory but I'm very consistent. That's why I rarely have problems finding things. If I ever have to look for something, when I put it away, I don't put it back where I got it, I put it back where I looked for it first. Because next time I need it, I won't remember where I found it (that NEVER works!) but I will start the hunt in the same place again. And there it will be, "right where it belongs". (at least according to my brain)

Improving your memory is arguably impossible. Improving your consistency is entirely up to you.

Oh, and also look on the bright side... in 10 years when your toilet is still working but the gasket has been going out, and the store doesn't carry that gasket anymore, you'll have a stockpile taped to the back of the tank wink

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
grelber #35113 07/18/15 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Now you both understand why the dementia experts advise 40 minutes of exercise (yes, walking constitutes appropriate exercise) per day...

Ya, I was going to do that but I forgot where I left my shoes.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #35114 07/18/15 04:10 PM

Move on up to Nakusp and nobody will notice. smirk

grelber #35508 08/14/15 12:05 AM

Your shoes are on top of the ones you bought last week that are still in the box. My problem is when I walk into one of those really old hardware stores. It's some kind of trance between "What if I need one of those and can't find it anymore?" and "Can I use this instead because I should have bought 'one of those'?" Finding the one I do already have because I was thinking that before is getting a little easier. No more box of round things that has blank DVDs plus rolls of masking tape and so forth...

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard