Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OS 10.10.4 is available
#34916 06/30/15 10:53 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I downloaded and installed it. So far, all seems well. I took the usual precaution of making a clone of my 10.10.3 system before installing the update. The download, via the App Store, weighed in at 1.09 GB and took about 6 minutes to download with my internet connection. The actual installation took about 15 -20 minutes, including two restarts.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: OS 10.10.4 is available
jchuzi #34920 07/01/15 01:23 PM

After making a clone (as Jon noted) & disconnecting all non-essential peripherals, I then ran the Combo updater.

As with other OS installs, a subsequent Repairing Permissions noted a great many repairs. Now it's back to normal.

I used TinkerTool System 4.11 to purge language support packages, of which there were many. Again, normal after any Apple install.

DiskWarrior 5.0 also found a few nits, but nothing major.

Other than cDock not yet working, easy-peasy.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #34955 07/04/15 02:20 PM

Since updating to 10.10.4, I am now experiencing intermittent internet connectivity issues (both LAN & WiFi) after putting my MBP to Sleep. Upon reawakening, I have to Restart in order to regain internet connectivity.

When previously using 10.10.3, or any prior Yosemite version, I had no problems with regaining my internet connectivity upon reactivating my MBP from Sleep.

When I updated my MBP to 10.10.4, I did so over my LAN connection through the App Store's Update, which completed smoothly. However, my first indicator of an issue, was when I took a break, prior to updating iTunes, and put my MBP to Sleep. Upon reawakening, my Airport Utility confirmed my Network was active, but I was not getting internet connection through my Airport Extreme (4th Generation). I had to do a MBP Restart in order to regain my internet connection to my MBP.

I can confirm this issue is also the case with connecting my MBP to my Network via WiFi. However, when I do have my MBP connected by WiFi (I'm connected now by WiFi to my Network as I write this post), my connection is reliable and good (I get 50+ Mbps Down & 6+ Mbps Up on my Comcast internet).

[All my iOS devices - iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2 - were getting and continue getting good solid WiFi connections through my AE. These solid, iOS WiFi connections were solid before and continued after updating both my iOS devices to iOS 8.4.]

So, my issue is strictly related to putting my MBP to Sleep, then reawakening and not getting reliable, internet reconnection without having to do a Restart.

I believe the issue most likely rests with some networking corruption caused by the reintroduced use of mdnsresponder in 10.10.4. [Oddly enough, I never had any issues with discoveryd in prior versions of Yosemite.] Moreover, I did not have any issues with mdnsresponder in OS versions prior to Yosemite.

Since I don't see news posts, in Mac media sites, about this being a universal issue, any ideas about how to resolve this networking corruption (if it is that)?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #34956 07/04/15 02:35 PM

Perhaps, others, who know far more than moi about connectivity, will chime in with a simple fix.

But FWIW, I would, nonetheless, install the 10.10.4 Combo Updater.

The combo updater(s) are known to fix assorted ills, and AFAIK, never hurt. But whether your connectivity issue is one of them, alas, know not.

Still, me thinks its worth a go-

Should you do it, please post back with your results.

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
pbGuy #34959 07/04/15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
Since updating to 10.10.4, I am now experiencing intermittent internet connectivity issues (both LAN & WiFi) after putting my MBP to Sleep. Upon reawakening, I have to Restart in order to regain internet connectivity.

My wife was having a similar issue with 10.10.3 on her Mac mini but my Mac mini running 10.10.4 Public Beta along with various iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, and wireless printers were having no problems at all. Her problem was solved when we
  1. shut her Mac mini down
  2. Powered the router down
  3. Powered the cable modem down
  4. paused five minutes
  5. Powered up the modem and waited for it to settle
  6. Powered up the router and waited for it to settle
  7. powered up her Mac mini
Since then she has had no connection problems, and there are still no connection problems with the various other devices on the network.

I don't know that the shutdown order was important but I do believe the restart sequence and giving each device time to "settle" before restarting the next device can be critical. FWIW the solid connection has continued since she installed the release version of 10.10.4.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Pendragon #34975 07/05/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
...install ... 10.10.4 Combo Updater...

Installation of the Combo, in of itself, did not resolve the issue.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
  1. shut her Mac mini down
  2. Powered the router down
  3. Powered the cable modem down
  4. paused five minutes
  5. Powered up the modem and waited for it to settle
  6. Powered up the router and waited for it to settle
  7. powered up her Mac mini

After doing the Power Down recycling process as listed and subsequently initiating 2 x Sleep / Reawakening cycles, results are showing hopeful signs of correcting the issue. ...I'll know definitively after the next 24 - 48 hours.

One followup question now, is whether installing the 10.10.4 Combo over my 10.10.4 Update, in addition to the Power Down process, is working collectively to clear out the corruption, or whether the Power Down process, on its own, resolves the issue? ...I sense it's the latter given joemikeb's experience.

One other question comes to mind... What got corrupted and by what? (Until installing 10.10.4, I had no previous issues with any OS prior to 10.10.4.) ...Any thoughts?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #34978 07/06/15 10:06 AM

Glad to hear things are working out, pbGuy.

In this case, it seems to me that the Combo (re)install was not a player, but rather, the rebooting/resetting of your modem(s) was the probable fix.

Years, ago, I had a similar issue and joemike's fix was the solution. But why your first 10.10.4 broke things & why the reset puts things to right, I can only guess. Clearly some setting or corrupted file got resolved, but beyond that, I'm in the dark.

Let's hope Joe can shed some light.

Harv

Pendragon #34980 07/06/15 03:47 PM

The power down, power up sequence has been a standard fix for network problems since the advent of WiFi. It is seldom used these days because improvements in the firmware and software of all the devices involved have made the network connectivity much more stable so it is seldom needed and therefore often overlooked as a solution.

It is likely nothing went astray with your 10.10.4 install other than during the installation and reboot process you lost synchronization somewhere between you computer and the other network devices. The reset sequence allowed each device to re-establish its connections. To comprehend how something like this can happen, you need to have at least a passing understanding of the OSI 7 layer communications model.

Stepping back into my previous life as a technical trainer and college lecturer:

For the most part it is convenient to view an network or internet connection as single entity, like a string tied between two tin cans, but it is far more complicated than that. The Wikipedia article on the OSI model succinctly describes each of the layers so I won't attempt to go into that here. Suffice it to say that each layer provides for reliability and integrity of communications FOR THAT LAYER but each layer is dependent on the services provided by the preceding layers working as advertised. While the TCP/IP protocol of the internet does not deal with each OSI layer discreetly, all seven functionalities are still there. Each layer in each device has to "shake hands" with the corresponding layer in every other device in the communications chain. So it is entirely possible for there to be successful hand shaking at say the physical and data link layers — which will appear as a successful network connection — , but a disconnect in the Network layer which would block connections in the subsequent layers. The sequential device restart fix allows each device to establish a solid connection and hand shaking between the layers it is responsible for. The computer is last because it has responsibilities in all seven layers.

By design all of this is on a device by device basis so it is entirely possible for one computer to have a communications disconnect while other computers in the network continue to communicate normally.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
10.10.4 Internet issue Resolved
joemikeb #34985 07/07/15 12:59 PM

Terrific explanation and serves as a good reminder it's easy to be complacent about complexities usually so stable they can be taken for granted.

I'm happy to report that since effecting the Power Down / Activation sequence, I've not had any reoccurring issues when awakening my MBP from Sleep, which over the last 48 hours has been initiated manually or effected by Energy Saver.

Thank you, joemikeb. Cheers.

jchuzi #35002 07/09/15 10:23 PM

I tried to install the 10.10.4 update (upgrading from 10.10.2) on my MacBook Pro, and it crashed with the progress bar in the "less than one minute remaining" position. It left the computer unbootable except from my Snow Leopard install CD. Couldn't restore 10.10.2 from time machine backup. So, I had to restore from the last backup of 10.6.8, and then do a complete new install of 10.10.2. Then finally restore the last time machine backup of 10.10.2. Ten hours later I'm back to where I started yesterday. I don't think I'll be attempting the 10.10.4 update again. This is just one more item in the long list of things that I hate about Yosemite. I'm seriously wondering if I'll ever buy another Apple computer after this. If I want garbage software, I'll just buy a Windows PC for half the cost of a Mac. Do I sound pissed off?

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #35006 07/10/15 12:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob_00001
I tried to install the 10.10.4 update (upgrading from 10.10.2) on my MacBook Pro, and it crashed with the progress bar in the "less than one minute remaining" position. It left the computer unbootable except from my Snow Leopard install CD.

That's odd, usually time machine drives are themselves bootable, to allow you to reinstall the os prior to restoring the backup on them.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #35007 07/10/15 12:35 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
That's odd, usually time machine drives are themselves bootable, to allow you to reinstall the os prior to restoring the backup on them.
Am I missing something? AFIK, TM backups are not bootable. You can restore from them via the Recovery Partition or by entering TM while booted from your main drive (partition) but otherwise, that's it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Bob_00001 #35008 07/10/15 12:42 PM

You DO sound somewhat mildly disturbed.....

I'd suggest a few cleansing breaths, visualizing pleasant thoughts, and a two by four stabbed violently through the monitor of your recalcitrant computer.....OK, that last is a bit over the top, but I do get your sense of frustration.

Since you are now back to a good starting point, and have a current backup of your installed working system, it may be time to consider why your last attempt at the update might have gone so badly....then download and install the OSX10.4 Combo Update (follow the link) after having thought through the last attempt.

Did you run the Disk Utility on your hard drive before you updated? Sometimes there can be residual errors in your system that can interfere with the update process.

Did you disconnect all your peripheral devices prior to updating? Sometimes there can be unintended conflicts with open processes that third-party device drivers present.

Did you close out all open applications prior to your update attempt? Sometimes non-responsive applications get hung up and can halt the update process.

Do you REALLY want to revert to the Windows world, or were you just venting steam out of frustration?

Let us know how things go on your next attempt....we are all interested.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
jchuzi #35012 07/10/15 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Am I missing something? AFIK, TM backups are not bootable. You can restore from them via the Recovery Partition or by entering TM while booted from your main drive (partition) but otherwise, that's it.

Well I was referring to the time machine drive of course, which typically has a recovery partition ON it. So if your hard drive dies completely and has to be physically replaced, you can just boot off the recovery partition on your TM drive, restore your os to your computer, boot off THAT, and restore the TM backup.

Virtual1 #35015 07/10/15 03:17 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Thanks, V1. I didn't know that the TM backup had a Recovery Partition. smile

Jon

jchuzi #35017 07/10/15 04:19 PM

Thanks, V1. I didn't know that the TM backup had a Recovery Partition. smile

the fastest way to see those hidden partitions is with this in terminal, with the drive attached of course:
Code:
diskutil list

note that this only works for backups on locally attached time machine hard drives, not network or time-capsule based backups.

Virtual1 #35018 07/10/15 05:20 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I tried that command and got:

Last login: Fri Jul 10 04:30:21 on console
cpe-67-243-34-43:~ jonathanmchuzi$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 121.0 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage 999.3 GB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.1 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2
0: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD *1.1 TB disk2
Logical Volume on disk0s2, disk1s2
2B2A7278-FD6C-4BE0-8FF0-46747940A2FD
Unencrypted Fusion Drive
/dev/disk3
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS Time Machine 2.0 TB disk3s2
/dev/disk4
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk4
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS Clone 2.0 TB disk4s2
cpe-67-243-34-43:~ jonathanmchuzi$

I see the recovery partition on the internal drive but not on the Thunderbolt external TM backup. (The other Thunderbolt external is a clone.) The internal is 1 TB and the two externals are 2 TB each.

Jon

Virtual1 #35038 07/12/15 09:03 PM

How does one boot from the recovery partition, some special key combination I assume? I can never remember the boot up key combinations except for booting from CD, which is why I went that route.

In the end I managed to track down the main cause of grief with Yosemite, and so I don't feel any need to install the 10.10.4 upgrade at the moment. By all accounts, the bug that was causing my problems hasn't been fixed in 10.10.4 anyway.

Since installing Yosemite, everything on my Macbook was running very slowly, and a lot of things were crashing. I also noticed that something seemed to be hogging a lot of CPU time, because within a few minutes after booting the computer, the CPU fan would start running at top speed, and the computer case was getting so hot you could feel the heat radiating off it. So, I ran Activity Monitor and found that it was Folder Actions Dispatcher that was hogging the CPU. That led me to this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6466590?start=0&tstart=0
Since I'm not currently using any folder actions, I just disabled it, and things are back to normal, speedwise.

There are still a number of useless so-called "features" that I'm slowly working my way through, and getting turned off, such as the automatic spelling miscorrector, the backwards scrolling, and the thing that's constantly popping annoying messages up on the screen. I'm still puzzled why the dictionary dashboard app defaults to Japanese. Its menu choices are Japanese, Russian, and Japanese<>English, but no English. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Yosemite was more of an elaborate April Fools gag, than an operating system. It reminds me of the time that one of my co-workers sabotaged another co-worker's computer by changing all of the control panel settings.

The whole premise behind Yosemite appears to be to turn a Mac computer into an iPad. I don't understand why anyone would want to dumb down their computer to that extent. There are a number of features that were in 10.6.8, and not in 10.10.x that I miss.

As for switching to a Windows machine, that was of course an idle threat made before I had cooled down. Every few years, I say to myself, "Hey, MS has had decades to copy the features of the Mac. They must have figured it out by now." And then I actually try to use one, and I find that they still haven't even managed to get copy and paste to work between applications.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #35040 07/12/15 09:21 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

For info about using the recovery partition, read OS X: About OS X Recovery

Jon

jchuzi #35042 07/12/15 10:47 PM

Thanks for the link.

It mentions that recent versions of OSX have a recovery utility on the startup drive that can be accessed by booting while holding down the command and R keys, but it makes no mention of booting from a recovery partition on the Time Machine drive.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #35044 07/12/15 11:22 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Virtual1 answered this question in this thread, but as you can see from my post, I did not find a recovery partition on my TM drive. I hope that he will clarify the issue.

Jon

jchuzi #35049 07/13/15 05:57 AM

Oh, right. I actually missed the comment about not finding the boot partition on the TM drive. (More than 10 lines of text and my attention wanders. On the Internet, no one knows that you're a goldfish.)

Anyway, I'm just glad that I could boot from the CD. What I hadn't mentioned is that my internal CD/DVD drive bit the dust ages ago, and I had to boot with an external USB DVD drive. I wasn't sure it was going to work, but it did.

So, I hope everyone notices that I'm in a much better mood now. (Could be the whiskey though.)

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Virtual1 #35120 07/19/15 08:41 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

V1,

I was hoping that you would notice that my TM backup, as referenced here, does not have a recovery partition. As you can see, I followed your instructions about diskutil list and got nowhere.

What's the explanation?

Jon

jchuzi #35121 07/19/15 02:40 PM

We discussed this (Recovery HD), I believe, back in October 2013, when I had to replace my hard drive and discovered that TM did not back that up. Fortunately, I had a thumb drive with Recovery HD for Lion — created from Recovery HD Assistant — installed and could/can boot from that as and when necessary. So I don't worry about Recovery HD not having its own partition on my hard drive.

There is an article Removing and rebuilding a malfunctioning Recovery HD partition from October 22, 2011, which describes another approach to resolving the issue.

jchuzi #35145 07/20/15 03:32 PM

I was hoping that you would notice that my TM backup, as referenced here, does not have a recovery partition. As you can see, I followed your instructions about diskutil list and got nowhere.

Time Machine doesn't have to have a recovery partition. I think that option was added in time machine 2.0, and gets installed/updated when you upgrade your os. (I don't believe it updates it when you run an os update, like from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4)

There is a command you can run that will install the recovery partition. I used it to reinstall recovery partitions on newly formatted replacement hard drives after restoring the customer's data partition. It requires the os install dmg be available and you have to run a command for a tool that's not typically available on the hard drive (but is present on recovery media)

WOW. that was a surprisingly difficult thing to find, even when I knew precisely what I was looking for. (I don't have the service drive with me right now)

http://hints.binaryage.com/recover-lost-recovery-hd-for-filevault/
http://www.dmitry-dulepov.com/2011/09/mac-recovery-partion-revisited.html

those are the "manual' way that doesn't rely on the tool for "insuring" the recovery partition. That tool handles the resize, the restore, and the partition type setting all on its own. I was unable to locate that right now, I'll see if I can remember to add it here later. I'd consider the tool much safer, as I don't like mucking with hard drive partitioning without being very sure of what I'm doing, there's potential there for catastrophic data loss if you screw up badly enough.

oh... nice... Apple must have gotten wind of it, and rolled it up themselves. "Built right into OS X, OS X Recovery lets you repair disks or reinstall OS X without the need for a physical disc."

Give OS X Recovery Disk Assistant a try. It supposedly downloads the restore data and installs it on a provided drive, including a time machine or flash drive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard