for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Need to remove Symantec Antivirus for Mac 10
#30 08/05/09 01:08 AM
OP Offline

I find it a bit awkward to request in my first posting here assistance with removing a former competitor's product, but I have been unable to find definitive instructions for manually removing Symantec Antivirus for Mac version 10.

Symantec has an uninstall application and instructions, but when the uninstaller is launched, it finds nothing to uninstall in the window that should show the files to be removed. Symantec Antivirus is definitely running, because it attempts to scan every volume that mounts and file that opens. The program was installed under Panther on an eMac about five years ago and is now on a new MacBook Pro after migration (itself a complex process involving making two clones).

My own Internet access is randomly malfunctioning at the moment, but when the problems are solved, I hope to be able to participate here as I did in that place whose name now escapes me.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Re: Need to remove Symantec Antivirus for Mac 10
MicroMatTech3 #34 08/05/09 01:15 AM

I ended up uninstalling Norton AV (now Symantec AV?) manually by searching for anything named Norton, Symantec, etc. and trashing them. If SAV is running and interfering, why not start up in Safe Mode and trash all the files that way? You'll probably want to show hidden files as well because many of them will probably be invisible. To be complete about this, I did it when I was using Panther so it's been awhile.

I assume that you saw Symantec's instructions but they didn't work (surprise!). I'm posting the link just in case, however.

Off topic: It's good to see you again, MMT3 after the long hiatus. wink

Last edited by jchuzi; 08/05/09 01:16 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
MicroMatTech3 #35 08/05/09 01:19 AM

I recently "killed" Symantec AV by trashing relevant files located in the root level Library/Application Support, Library/Startup Items and System/Library/Startup Items folders. This process involved turning off the program in System Prefs, restarting, trashing the above mentioned files and restarting again in order to allow emptying the trash.

- alec -
jchuzi #42 08/05/09 01:28 AM
OP Offline

Jon,

Yes, those were the instructions that did not work, because the uninstaller found nothing to uninstall.

It is good to see you here.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Mississauga #45 08/05/09 01:32 AM
OP Offline

Mississaug,

Thanks for the instructions for manual removal. I will try your approach when I see my friend with the new MacBook Pro (free iPod Touch included) next week.

It is good to see another familiar screen name in these new forums. Anyone who is registered by the end of the day can say they came over on the virtual Mayflower.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
MicroMatTech3 #51 08/05/09 01:42 AM

I too had trouble removing Norton and finally, Symantec sent me what they unofficially called their super-duper uninstaller. And indeed it did work as advertised. It was just a scrip of some sort as I recall.

In any event, should you need it, I am happy to send it to you. But as it's a few years old, it warrants use with caution...and a backup

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #58 08/05/09 02:03 AM
OP Offline

Pendragon,

Thanks for the offer. We shall see if I need to resort to using Symantec's script. I have not seen any previous mention of this.

I am imagining your old avatar. Do not bank too steeply.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool
Pendragon #66 08/05/09 06:05 AM

It's nice to see some of the old crew already getting their feet wet.

For your info, and that of others, I was just able to upload my old avatar via My Stuff>Edit Profile.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
MicroMatTech3 #133 08/05/09 02:50 PM

FWIW, I have come to rely on CleanApp for uninstalling apps. It seems to be pretty resourceful at finding hidden application resources and if you are running the logging function it tracks all installs and maintains a database of where all the bits parts and pieces are place by the installer. I do not know if it will help with Norton or not, but IMO it is an app worth having.

Its good to see all the old familiar avatars in this thread. Welcome all to FineTunedMacs. laugh

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
MicroMatTech3 #1573 08/20/09 01:32 PM

You are welcome to try this script.

Andreas
Andreas #1576 08/20/09 02:04 PM

Good to see you, Andreas! smile I missed you at MFIF (hadn't seen you post for quite awhile) and was hoping that you were OK. I had tried to find that script from an old bookmark and got a message that the post no longer exists. It's nice to see that you have redone it since it has proved to be useful to many people.

Welcome to FTM!

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Andreas #1654 08/21/09 06:32 AM

Andreas!

Welcome home. smile

You've been missed!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Andreas #1700 08/21/09 05:25 PM

Thank you both for those very kind words.

At MFI Forums I had exhausted all efforts to log in as I wanted, including the advice from cyn, but to no avail. I was able to log in to one forum as 'Andreas' but CNET told me I would have to choose a different name for the other forums "as that name was already in use" but I could keep "Andreas" for that one forum if I so wished. (Pretty bizarre, I felt.) I *politely* (true!) asked them to investigate and see if they could cure the problem. No reply. I emailed them again a month later asking if there was any progress - again no reply. Enough already - goodbye! Now, seeing what CNET have done to the forums I've removed them from my Bookmarks.

it was marvellous to come here and see all those familiar and highly respected names. I don't have time to be here very often, but with that list of names I will hardly be much needed. All the very best to this new venture.

Now I'm going to get reprimanded for being off-topic in this thread. So what's new?  smile  

Jon, that script fell foul of a clear out of old threads at bombich forums and I only recently realised and resurrected it, but too late to re-set the old URL.

Andreas
MicroMatTech3 #1980 08/25/09 02:30 AM

FileBuddy9.2 is an extraordinary application that has a wide impressive array of tools.

One of its best features is an ultra-powerful search function that will even search invisible files and system files which other applications fail to find.

I would search for visible and invisible files containing "symantec"

Andreas #2014 08/25/09 04:24 PM

If only things were that simple!

Those who suggest searching for items containing certain words might do well to look at the filenames in my script (link above) even if they lack the courage to run it.  smile  

Andreas
Andreas #2193 08/27/09 10:34 PM
OP Offline

Andreas,

Thank you very much for posting your removal script. It looks good to me, and I will give it a try when my friend returns.

MicroMat Inc
Makers of TechTool

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard