An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#23970 - 10/29/12 11:56 AM Re: FREEWARE! [Re: alternaut]
alternaut Offline

This Wednesday, October 31, CodeWeavers Inc. will have a Halloween "Flock The Vote" Software Giveaway, where you can get a single copy of CrossOver with 12 months support for free. tongue

#24977 - 02/09/13 04:52 AM Re: FREEWARE! 50 GB Free Cloud Storage [Re: Hal Itosis]
Pendragon Offline

Loc: Georgetown, Texas, USA
Filesharing service Box is offering up 50 GB of free cloud storage in a new promotion. To qualify, you must be a new Dell employee or friend on a free plan, or just sign up for a new account with a new email address. The deal is also for non-commercial use only, and because it's free, there's a file-size cap of 250 MB that you'll have to duck in under.

There is also a free iPhone/iPad app (buried in the application settings).

I don't like their requirement that a phone number be included with the registration, but there are work arounds I suppose…

I have yet to use this cloud, but it seems routine as cloud services go.

P.S. While this indicates it's for Dell, I found that anyone can use it.

Edited by Pendragon (02/09/13 08:21 AM)
Edit Reason: Added P.S. & changed from 25 GB to 50 GB

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#25010 - 02/13/13 09:18 AM Re: FREEWARE! 50 GB Free Cloud Storage [Re: Pendragon]
Virtual1 Offline

Loc: Iowa
it let me sign up no problem.

They do have a few "upgrade" options, so I suppose it's like drop box, "first one's free". Though they don't appear to have any tight OS integration. It appears to be entirely web and iapp based interface. Not as convenient as dropbox. for finder, but has some more features and iapps.

#25497 - 03/23/13 08:48 AM Re: FREEWARE! [Re: Virtual1]
dkmarsh Offline

I suppose it's more accurately referred to as Donationware, but Mountain Tweaks provides a handy centralized interface for reverting an impressive number of Mountain Lion "features" back to their pre-Mountain Lion states (and in some cases, like the 3D Dock, to much earlier states than that), from "Show/Hide the user Library folder" to "Disable default iCloud save location."

Edited by alternaut (03/23/13 10:40 AM)
Edit Reason: Adjusted post title

dkmarsh • member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors

#25501 - 03/23/13 12:19 PM Re: FREEWARE! Safe Download Version [Re: Hal Itosis]
Pendragon Offline

Loc: Georgetown, Texas, USA
In sum, it tells when OSX Protect was last updated on your machine.

Safe Download Version is a Mac OS X application that shows which safe downloads definition list version is installed, along with the date and time the definition list was last updated on your computer.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

#25506 - 03/23/13 01:50 PM Re: FREEWARE! Safe Download Version [Re: Pendragon]
jchuzi Offline

Loc: New York State
Thanks for the link, Harv. It looks like a nice little app.

OS 10.14.2, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

#30241 - 06/04/14 09:28 PM Re: FREEWARE! [Re: jchuzi]
artie505 Online

Wow! I'm amazed to see that nobody's posted to this thread in 14 1/2 months; I'm not sure what that says.

At any rate, for the benefit of those who both missed this thread and haven't been advised of it by a financial company with which they deal, Trusteer Rapport is a free offering (from an IBM company) that, among other things, stops man-in-the-middle and man-in-the-browser attacks. (Edit: It surpasses DNSCrypt's functionality in any number of neat ways.)

Its Mac implementation isn't exactly user-friendly, and its idea of local user security is kind of mystifying, but it apparently does its job, which is what it's really paid to do.

You can d/l Trusteer Rapport here. (Click on the orange "Bank Customers-?-Click Here" button.)

#34529 - 06/02/15 03:28 AM Re: FREEWARE! [Re: artie505]
artie505 Online

And another year's gone by with nary a post to this thread.

The App Store?

#34533 - 06/02/15 07:52 AM Re: FREEWARE! [Re: artie505]
alternaut Offline

FWIW, I snuck in a few security related items via THE CYBER-SECURITY THREAD. Didn’t seem necessary to repeat myself here, until your comment… smirk But this wash sure is rather dry lately.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  alternaut, cyn