FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Long Bookmark names
#34486 05/30/15 06:12 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

This has bothered me for many years. So far back I don't even remember.

When I create a bookmark in Firefox, or anywhere else, the pop-up box gives me the option of where to put the bookmark. But the name of the bookmark (the web site name and what follows) is too long. In order to accomodate the long name, the Bookmarks column stretches widely to the right. It makes a difference considering I have a lot of folders and sub-folders in the Bookmarks Toolbar.

I do a lot of bookmarking, often for pages I want to read later, and so, in a hurry, I don't want to spend that second shortening the name. Therefore my Bookmarks Menu becomes unwieldy. I don't know how much time I've wasted over they years shortening a bookmark name before I actually hit "Done" to set the bookmark. Or, more likely, shortening a long list of names I bookmarked earlier.

When I bookmark, I only need the name of the site, not the little chatter that comes afterwards. I have to waste time deleting the chatter. If I bookmark the New York Times, I don't get NY Times or nytimes.com (their URL), I get The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. CNN gives Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News - CNN.com. But Yahoo gives Yahoo. Now that's more like it.

There has be a better way to handle this so I don't have to manually adjust every name of every bookmark. Any ideas?

Re: Long Bookmark names
deniro #34490 05/30/15 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
There has be a better way to handle this so I don't have to manually adjust every name of every bookmark. Any ideas?

Nope. That's just the way it is (at least as far as Firefox is concerned). The source specifies its own label; fortunately it can be adjusted.
True, it's a pain, but one only has to adjust the title to one's satisfaction once.
Like you, I truncate my most frequently accessed titles (primarily so that they don't take up too much space in the Bookmark toolbar).

deniro #34494 05/31/15 07:11 AM

If you're like me, the time you waste growling at those ridiculously long bookmark explanations exceeds the time it would take you to simply type a quick memory jogger; I imagine that the field is pre-selected with precisely that in mind.

Think about it... It would be far more burdensome for people to have to type in long explanations to clarify arbitrarily truncated ones than it is the other way around.

I can imagine an app that would enable you to select from a pre-determined (and, therefore, more than likely always incomplete) list of short explanations, but using it would cost more time than doing it yourself.

Or... Nope, no (good) ideas, and probably no hope either.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #34498 05/31/15 05:38 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

Like a script or Automator. I thought of that, but it would be pretty complicated, and not just because I've never used either.

Time is wasted whether I delete the chatter the moment I set the bookmark or delete it later. I don't really see the point of a web designer making the bookmark name long, given that I suspect many people have the same gripe I do. Maybe they don't. If I were designing a site, I would try to make using the site as painless as possible. I find it remarkable that after decades of web-site design, there are so many sites that are poorly built and annoying to use.

deniro #34506 06/01/15 03:42 PM

Perhaps the title includes words that make it a more likely hit by a search engine.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard