for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"Illegal" databases?
#34443 05/27/15 07:56 AM
OP Online

I've got Safari (5.1.10) > Prefs > Advanced > Database storage set to "None allowed before asking", and although not every website that places a doc in /Users/artie/Library/Safari/LocalStorage asks, what I almost invariably find there is an 8 KB doc that looks more or less like this:

Quote:
SQLite format 3@ 
¸¢¢üÅz!11ÉtableItemTableItemTableCREATE TABLE ItemTable (key TEXT UNIQUE ON CONFLICT REPLACE, value TEXT NOT NULL ON CONFLICT FAIL)[!}1indexsqlite_autoindex_ItemTable_1ItemTable
ÁÁ-jStorage{}
ÃŽÃŽ-jStorage

The exceptions I've noted are the docs placed by Wikipedia and Wikimedia Foundation, which weigh in at 500-600 KB and look like this and this, respectively (truncated for posting purposes...full text available by request).

Can anybody read those docs and tell me whether the Wiki organizations are somehow subverting my pref, or am I just getting paranoid over perfectly acceptable website behavior?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: "Illegal" databases?
artie505 #34444 05/27/15 12:17 PM

those look more like rules than data? I don't see any actual data there in my brief look?

by data, I mean keywords, dates, search history, purchase history, page view preferences, shopping cart contents, advertising preferences and affiliates, that sort of thing.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #34445 05/27/15 04:05 PM

From glancing at the information, those are structures, but there's no data in them. It looks like if you set that preference in Safari, Web sites are allowed to specify how they would store data, but aren't actually allowed to put any data in the database.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #34447 05/27/15 10:19 PM
OP Online

Thanks for the input, guys.

I've got absolutely no idea what a database should look like; the two I posted are notable only for their extreme (relative) size which, by its uniqueness, suggests that they exceed their permissible limits.

I'm not even sure why Wikipedia, let alone Wikimedia, would need to place a database.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #34448 05/28/15 10:04 AM
OP Online

An additional thought... Since I never retain cookies, those databases would have no data to store other than my immediate Wikipedia search and lord knows what for Wikimedia.

(I wonder if the parts of those databases that I didn't post have any relevant content?)

artie505 #34731 06/17/15 03:23 AM

Maybe the framework stays but the data gets stripped each time, just lIke the cookies get removed? That would be a fancy trick.

Last edited by slolerner; 06/17/15 03:26 AM. Reason: More
slolerner #34733 06/17/15 05:47 AM
OP Online

I've got Cookie set to delete unwanted databases every 60 seconds, so while your scenario, unlikely as it sounds, maaay be possible, it's not a possibility in my instance.

artie505 #34748 06/17/15 05:49 PM

I started looking at the files on my computer and it appears they are database definitions and the database itself is implemented in memory and never actually stored on the computer. Having the definitions stored on the drive speeds the process because there is no delay downloading the definition. When the memory is released the database content simply goes away.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34787 06/18/15 01:21 AM
OP Online

Thanks; that sounds reasonable, but I just found this, which seems to contradict your conclusion, in Safari 5.1.10 help:

Quote:
Databases stored on your computer

Some websites provide tools that let you create and edit documents that are then stored on your own hard disk. For example, you might use the tools at a website to create a travel log. When you’re ready to save the information, the website requests space on your disk to store the information you created. The information is stored as a database.

Even accepting it, though, I still find it odd that Wikipedia's and Wikimedia's databases are so large and complex compared to the others in my experience. (And why does Wikimedia need a database at all?)

These waters are awfully muddy... For instance, why does eBay request database space before it allows me to log in, and why do I frequently find databases from websites that never requested space?

artie505 #34793 06/18/15 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Thanks; that sounds reasonable, but I just found this, which seems to contradict your conclusion, in Safari 5.1.10 help:

Quote:
Databases stored on your computer

Some websites provide tools that let you create and edit documents that are then stored on your own hard disk. For example, you might use the tools at a website to create a travel log. When you’re ready to save the information, the website requests space on your disk to store the information you created. The information is stored as a database.

Even accepting it, though, I still find it odd that Wikipedia's and Wikimedia's databases are so large and complex compared to the others in my experience. (And why does Wikimedia need a database at all?)

I looked at the Wikipedia .localstorage and one reason it is so long is because it has unique setups for a very large number of different platforms, browsers, etc. There is even a setup there for Playstation. The same thing could be accomplished by first identifying the platform and then downloading the template for that platform which requires additional processing on the server, but it appears Wikipedia has chosen to perform the template selection on the client instead and therefore has to download all the various templates.

Originally Posted By: artie505
These waters are awfully muddy... For instance, why does eBay request database space before it allows me to log in, and why do I frequently find databases from websites that never requested space?

This may sound flippant but the answer to all your questions is those are design decisions made by the site developer and there is no one "right" or "standard" way to do it. While Apple can and does enforce design standards on applications available through the app store, but there is no possible way for anyone to enforce design standards on web developers other than possible a "white list" of web sites Apple users are allowed to visit and I can't imagine anyone tolerating that.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34861 06/23/15 08:55 AM
OP Online

Thanks for shedding light on those mysterious local storage, not database, items.

(Safari 5.1.10) I allowed eBay to store a database just to see what would happen, and I discovered that rather than affecting /Users/artie/Library/Safari/LocalStorage, it affected /Users/artie/Library/Safari/Databases.

It seems that websites can place templates in Local Storage at their whim and must ask for space only for subsequent databases, so my "illegal databases" are actually thoroughly legal templates placed by websites that, with the exception of eBay, have never followed up on their templates by asking for database space.

That, the facts that I've seen local storage items referred to as databases, and extensions actually do store databases in /Users/artie/Library/Safari/LocalStorage, and my inability to find any clarifying info about local storage in either Safari help or elsewhere all came together and resulted in my confusion.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard