FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Safari Update from Apple inoperable in Mavericks
#34278 05/14/15 05:23 AM
maggus8 Offline OP
OP Offline

I downloaded a Safari update from Applestore updates yesterday. I have been running Mavericks in a 2012 MacBook Pro. I have never had a problem like this before.
Try to open Safari now and it half way opens a web page and crashes.
I tried replace a previous version from my Time Machine back up disk and "of course" I cannot do that because Safari is now part of OSX and cannot be deleted. Or can it? So I would have to revert to Mountain Lion which I will not do. I am now using Firefox.
I don't want to upgrade to Yosemite because I have just read too much bad publicity about it running slow and running Macs slow.
Is there someway I can beat this situation?

Last edited by maggus8; 05/14/15 07:16 AM.
Re: Safari Update from Apple inoperable in Mavericks
maggus8 #34279 05/14/15 05:37 AM

Hi, and welcome to FineTunedMac. smile

Two thoughts:

First, try downloading the Safari update from the App Store again; your first d/l may have been incomplete or flawed in some other way.

Second, you should be able to use Time Machine to restore your MBP to its state immediately before you d/l'ed the update...without reverting to Mountain Lion; you'll then have to update any work you may have done between the initial d/l and the reversion. (Details will have to come from another poster.)

Good luck!

Last edited by artie505; 05/14/15 05:41 AM. Reason: Complete thought

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
maggus8 #34284 05/14/15 09:14 AM

Artie gave you good advice. About your hesitancy regarding Yosemite, I can only say that I have had no issues with it. I would guess that the complaints about slowness were posted by people who had insufficient RAM. Apple recommends a minimum of 2 GB for Yosemite. For the record, I never used Mavericks but went directly from Snow Leopard to Yosemite via migration from one computer to another.

A standard way of troubleshooting, that often solves problems, is to download and apply the Combo 10.9.5 Updater.

Welcome to FTM, good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
maggus8 #34324 05/17/15 08:42 AM

You obviously saw my post, because you edited yours after I posted.

How did you made out?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #34326 05/17/15 08:36 PM
maggus8 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your reply. I did not actually delete anything. It was just part of a multi purpose updater from Apple and when it was finished Safari would not work anymore.
I cannot replace Safari from Time Machine because Safari is not a stand alone app. It is contained inside OSX. It will not allow me to replace it with the previous version that was working really well, although I have to say Safari seem to use an awful lot of RAM and as I removed half my RAM I have to keep restarting the MBP or restarting Safari to clear it. Anyway thanks for the tips

maggus8 #34327 05/17/15 09:11 PM

Thanks for the reply (although I've got no idea what the "delete" reference is about).

Rather than replacing Safari, which, as you noted, can't be done, have you tried to restore your ENTIRE installation from your Time Machine backup that immediately preceded your running the update?

That will work for you, but before doing it, you should try rerunning whichever update you ran in the first place; that frequently clears up problems that arose after the initial running.

Edit: I don't know about later versions than my Safari 5.1.10, but it leaks memory, sometimes majorly.

Edit 2: That's what Time Machine is all about: It allows you to reinstall your entire installation or any part thereof as you need it.

Last edited by artie505; 05/17/15 10:01 PM.

artie505 #34329 05/17/15 10:52 PM
maggus8 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for that,
Yes, I installed this machine from a Time Machine back up when I bought it. That was fine. I had some problems with the machine, and went back to Apple with it for years, the whole time I have had it. The last time I was there a Genius Bar technician managed to wipe the entire hard drive and also corrupt half the back up data on my Time Machine. That cost me three cancelled airoplane tickets. About $300 USD and the loss of 7 years of journals. Nice for a writer and more than half my financial files. Sorry to include this. I am a little wary of a re-install if that's what you mean. I am attempting the Combo back up at present.
What is notable, I guess, is that I have to use Firefox to rescue Safari. Apple are slipping. In using Firefox, I have to say, it is surprisingly pleasant with many little gizmos Safari doesn't have and is quicker, uses far less memory and is far more stable and reliable. Onwards and upwards and thanks once again for you advice. and I am not sure if this is allowable, can I introduce another problem or should I start a new thread?

maggus8 #34331 05/17/15 10:57 PM

If you are introducing a new topic, unrelated to this one, start a new thread.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #34334 05/18/15 01:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply (although I've got no idea what the "delete" reference is about).

I imagine it's a reference to your initial response:

Quote:
you should be able to use Time Machine to restore your MBP to its state immediately before you d/l'ed the update

Those who haven't logged a lot of time here won't necessarily recognize your idiosyncratic shorthand.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #34336 05/18/15 01:41 AM

That's precisely why I posted

Quote:
First, try downloading the Safari update from the App Store again; your first d/l may have been incomplete or flawed in some other way.

Using an entire word before short-handing it (to define the shorthand) is standard procedure in legal financial, and other documents.

It's neither idiosyncratic nor even obscure.

artie505 #34337 05/18/15 02:00 AM

Quote:

Well, the proof is in the pudding.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #34338 05/18/15 05:27 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Quote:

Well, the proof is in the pudding.

D/L and d/l are not unrecognized as acronyms for download, but that's neither here nor there. (Wiktionary and The Free dictionary)

The real proof of the pudding ("The proof [of the pudding] is in the eating", by the way. wink ) is the fact that nobody's ever before questioned or tripped over either "d/l" or "d/l'ed" in the more than 10 years that I've (and I'm not alone) used them at FTM and MFIF.

I think misinterpreting "d/l'ed" as "deleted" is a stretch...more likely the result of less than thoughtful reflection than of victimization by either idiosyncrasy or obscurity.

Last edited by artie505; 05/18/15 07:46 AM. Reason: Complete thoughts

maggus8 #34339 05/18/15 05:58 AM

Sorry for that digression, maggus8; now, back to business...

OUCH!!!

You've clarified your reluctance to reinstall rather scarily. (I can't imagine how the Genius managed to do so much damage.)

I think it would pay you to post some of the specs of your installation...
  1. How, if at all, is your internal hard drive partitioned?
  2. What are you running in the way of external drives?
  3. If any...any partitions?
  4. What's on each volume or partition (if any) of each drive (internal and external)...any clones on top of your Time Machine backup, in particular?
If you'd care to answer those questions (and whichever others have eluded my fingertips at the moment), I'm certain that we can set you up with a plan that will effectively safeguard your invaluable data and records and set your mind at ease as regards reinstallation should the need arise.

In the meantime, I hope rerunning the update has fixed whatever was wrong with Safari. (And under any circumstances, Safari's failure may have been a disguised blessing.)

Moderated by  cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard