An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Running PSE along PS CS3: possible or not?
#3157 09/07/09 07:56 AM
OP Offline

iMac Intel 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, running 10.5.8. Photoshop CS3 installed.

Because we have recently started taking a course in Photoshop, and because the software used in Module 1 is Photoshop Elements (v.7, Dutch, for Windows), I bought Photoshop Elements v.6 for Macintosh, so that my wife and I can do the class exercises at home. Installation went without issue, but there seem to be problems: instead of launching the Bridge version that was installed together with PSE, it launches Bridge CS3, which does look different. So I close off Bridge CS3, hide PSE and manually launch Bridge (PSE), but then get the error message:
Quote:
Adobe Bridge cannot be used at this time because of licensing restrictions. You must have installed and launched at least one other Adobe application to use Adobe Bridge.

But I have... so what's the deal?
Any suggestions? Is there anyone out there who runs PSE along PS CS3? What about installing PSE, not in the main applications folder, but, say, under a second user account, in a local Applications folder. Would that help?

Thanks for any input that could help us out.

There's no way out of here,
When you're in here, you're here for good (David Gilmour)
Re: Running PSE along PS CS3: possible or not?
pingopuck #3168 09/07/09 11:31 AM
OP Offline

An update: uninstalled everything and then reinstalled. Guess what? Now Bridge that comes as part of PSE doesn't even install! After the second installation I didn't have to type in the serial number either, so that must reside in a hidden file somewhere on the hard disk.
No problem, so installed on MacBookPro and strange enough: the PSE Bridge doesn't install at all! Did have to type in the serial number here.

So, as far as I can see, this looks like we will be able to use PSE v.6 for Mac, but only in combination with Bridge CS3, as it doesn't even install on either Mac. Not too bad, but definitely different from what we are learning in classroom. On the Windows platform, there is no such thing called "Bridge"; it's called Organizer (even in the Dutch version of the program, the English term is used).

pingopuck #3347 09/08/09 10:53 PM

Adobe's CS has one of the more invasive copy protections on the market. if it gets buggered sometimes the only way to fix it is to erase and install. They're not going to tell you which files need to be removed because they're hiding them from you on purpose. (of course all the hackers found them 10 minutes after installation, but it's the thought that counts, right?)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #3372 09/09/09 11:07 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply, Virtual1 (and glad to see you're still around). Well, yes, it looks like I ran into that copy protection. Any way: PSE runs without issues, but also without its own Bridge. Don't think two Bridges (they are different and the one for CS3 is definitely called Bridge CS3 and has a different icon) can exist alongside each other. Too bad, but then the PSE is only till we get through this course and then "graduate" to PS CS4(?)

pingopuck #3420 09/09/09 09:45 PM

I'm sure for about $49 on your Visa they'd be more than happy to walk you through the fix. (erase and install, reinstall sw)

I know I just love paying people to help me work around problems in their crappy coding...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
pingopuck #3432 09/10/09 12:05 AM

Your experience is interesting because I have Bridge CS3 and Bridge CS4 installed alongside each other on my G5 (10.5.8). They won't run at the same time, but each seems to run fine on its own. Of course I don't use either of them, so I couldn't say if there are any resulting hiccups, but definitely no launch issues or what-not. Curious that the Bridge version with PSE doesn't behave similarly...

Keeper of the Magic Nickel

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard