for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Movies to see
grelber #34275 05/14/15 12:06 AM

Ok, so I said it in another string because this one had not resurrected itself yet...

"Atari: Game Over"

Can't say enough nice things about this romp to a dump in New Mexico, archeologists and all, to *maybe* find the burial place of a million Atari E.T Game Cartridges, referred to as "The Worst Video Game Ever"and deemed responsible for the demise of Atari. Was supposed to be the first episode of "Signal to Noise" and now I guess it is the only one.

Directed by Zack Penn, w/Howard Scott Warshaw, Atari Game Programmer, Seamus Blackley, Co-Founder, X-Box, and Ernest Cline and his DeLorean, "Anorak," for starters.

slolerner #34276 05/14/15 12:36 AM

Quote:
As racing movies have been selected, I have to recommend Rush, Ron Howard. This is as much excitement as you can stand without actually being in an F1 car.

"Rush" keeps getting recommended to me and I forget to follow up on that. Thanks!

"Senna" spans from the 80's to the 90's, when you pretty much had to be insane to drive an F1. Instead, he transcended the sport. There is some footage you can hunt down from NatGeo explaining why just millimeters! of tolerance; the temperature of the tires and the resulting slight air pressure drop inside them, caused an irrecoverable loss of control. TopGear has an interesting episode summing up some the changes in technology and driving technique from then until now.

Last edited by slolerner; 05/14/15 01:00 AM. Reason: clarity
grelber #34277 05/14/15 12:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Never trust a HAL 9000.

If you were around in 1968, you were likely too stoned to care.
During the fifth (?) viewing of the stargate sequence I couldn't feel my legs.

My Dad, an Aeronautical Engineer, once said there should have been a double feature of that and "Fantasia" for the stoners...

slolerner #34283 05/14/15 09:02 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: slolerner
My Dad, an Aeronautical Engineer, once said there should have been a double feature of that and "Fantasia" for the stoners...

A thoughtful man ... but stoners would never have been able to follow through.
Thanks for reminding me to transfer my VHS tape of Fantasia to DVD (before my VHS player packs it in).

grelber #34290 05/14/15 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
[quote=slolerner]Thanks for reminding me to transfer my VHS tape of Fantasia to DVD (before my VHS player packs it in).

Is that Fantasia or Fantasia 2000? I love both but I will have to admit to a prefereence for the one I saw as a youngster -- Fantasia with Leopold Stokowski at the podium.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #34293 05/14/15 02:47 PM

There was a story that I don't think Kubrick ever confirmed but his wife gave it a wink and a nod. Supposedly, while he was filming 2001, he was also filming a staged Moon landing for NASA, to be used in the event of a worst case scenario in 1969. (It was during the Cold War and any failure would have to be concealed.) There are quirky references to the Apollo Mission in Space Odyssey, but there are also some errors about gravity and astronomy, possibly intentional while more accurate footage was assembled for NASA. In 1980, The Shining references backward to Apollo 11, such as Danny's sweater in one scene. I have heard some conspiracy theorists use these cues as evidence that the Apollo 11 landing was a hoax.

joemikeb #34296 05/14/15 03:45 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Is that Fantasia or Fantasia 2000? I love both but I will have to admit to a preference for the one I saw as a youngster -- Fantasia with Leopold Stokowski at the podium.

I availed myself of 50th anniversary "meticulously restored version of the original" Walt Disney's Masterpiece FANTASIA which was released in 1991 ($26.99 SRP) — with Leopold Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra.

freelance #34348 05/18/15 05:44 PM

Quote:
As racing movies have been selected, I have to recommend Rush, Ron Howard. This is as much excitement as you can stand without actually being in an F1 car.

Thanks, Freelance. Feed my need for speed!

slolerner #34359 05/19/15 03:57 AM

"The Zen of Bennett"

('nuff said.)

grelber #34375 05/19/15 11:50 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for reminding me to transfer my VHS tape of Fantasia to DVD (before my VHS player packs it in).

Rats!! Even though the VHS tape is mine, I can't transfer it to DVD because it contains copyrighted material.
On the plus side the VHS tape seems to have weathered the past quarter century unscathed; it played back flawlessly — not single dropout in 120 minutes.

grelber #34383 05/20/15 11:47 AM

Rats!! Even though the VHS tape is mine, I can't transfer it to DVD because it contains copyrighted material.
On the plus side the VHS tape seems to have weathered the past quarter century unscathed; it played back flawlessly — not single dropout in 120 minutes.

"format shifting" has been judged legal for quite awhile. (though the content marketers fought quite a bloody battle trying to block it)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36129 09/25/15 01:30 AM

No good movies lately?

"1408"
Stephen King thriller from 2007. To avoid a spoiler here, watch the YouTube video of how it was made afterwards. Pinewood Studios is amazing.

ps: Director's cut has better ending.

slolerner #39754 03/31/16 07:07 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Being Canadian, "an epic quest of apologetic proportions", by (and about) Robert Cohen (2014, 89 min) — available on DVD and streaming on Netflix (I believe).

An enjoyable romp overall and enlightening for those who know zip about Canada. It did miss pointing out that the Bloody Caesar originated in Canada. (According to Google-san: To commemorate the inauguration of an Italian restaurant in 1969, Calgary bartender Walter Chell created Bloody Caesar.)

Aside: If Tromp were to become US President, it might not be out of line to re-enact what Canada did to the White House in the War of 1812 (and how we did it).

grelber #39755 03/31/16 07:20 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

If you liked Fargo, the 1996 movie, you'll probably gush* over Fargo the FX TV series: Season 1 (2014) and Season 2 (2015), each about 9 hours of viewing. The DVD presentations have a great deal of "bonus" material; 4 DVDs per set. Both seasons shot in Alberta.
(You may in fact have followed the movie's advice and gotten a chipper to get rid of pesky neighborhood problems. tongue smirk )

Be aware: Season 2 is actually a "prequel" to Season 1, with the former (2) taking place in 1979 and the latter (1) in 2006. So you may wish to view them in reverse order. (I had to re-watch Season 1 after I viewed Season 2, and I enjoyed it both times.)

EDIT: * Until now I have never used this word, and yet it popped into my head as I was typing that line. As Arte Johnson (in his Laugh In persona as a German foot soldier) used to say: Verrry interrresting.

grelber #39761 03/31/16 12:16 PM

slolerner #39762 03/31/16 12:51 PM

ALGORITHM THE HACKER might interest computer users. It is somewhat disturbing considering what could and possibly is happening now. jaybass

OS 13.6.4 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2017, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 24 GB RAM, 2400 MHz DDR4. SuperDuper. 1 TB Lacie HD
grelber #39907 04/12/16 08:15 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Look Who's Back smile Er ist wieder da

Netflix has just released the movie (2015 Constantin Film production of Timur Vermes's 2012 satiric novel) globally.

Here is a whole whack of trailers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E
including the scene where Hitler is being assisted in trying to come to terms with a computer and mouse and in setting up an email account. laugh

From an interview (which just aired on pri.cbc.ca) with Oliver Masucci, the actor who plays Hitler:
When he was traveling around Germany during the filming, he stayed in character ("Why are you dressed like Hitler?" "I am Hitler.") and apparently people started accepting that.
Talk about life imitating art!

grelber #39912 04/12/16 09:44 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Remember (2015)

I'm not a big fan of Atom Egoyan's movies, although Exotica (1994), The Sweet Hereafter (1997) and Chloe (2009) stood out.

However, Remember starring Christopher Plummer and Martin Landau — and who doesn't love those two, here for the first time together — may just put him into the directors' pantheon.
I may be slow on the pick-up, but I never saw it (the climax) coming.

grelber #39930 04/14/16 09:15 PM

I saw Exotica when it came out in the theater. Hadn't intended to see it; a friend of mine and I went to the movies and arrived too late to see what we'd wanted to see, and it was the only film that hadn't started yet. I quite liked it, and even bought it in VHS.

One of my girlfriends and I just saw Eye in the Sky in the theaters. It's Alan Rickman's last movie, and follows a drone strike on a suspected terrorist cell in Kenya. It's emotionally gutwrenching and offers an interesting insight on the conduct of war in the modern era. Highly recommended.

Last edited by tacit; 05/06/16 07:52 PM.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
grelber #39967 04/16/16 04:39 PM
Banned
Banned

If you liked Fargo, the 1996 movie, you'll probably gush* over Fargo the FX TV series: Season 1 (2014) and Season 2 (2015), each about 9 hours of viewing. The DVD presentations have a great deal of "bonus" material; 4 DVDs per set. Both seasons shot in Alberta.
(You may in fact have followed the movie's advice and gotten a chipper to get rid of pesky neighborhood problems. tongue smirk )

Be aware: Season 2 is actually a "prequel" to Season 1, with the former (2) taking place in 1979 and the latter (1) in 2006. So you may wish to view them in reverse order. (I had to re-watch Season 1 after I viewed Season 2, and I enjoyed it both times.)

EDIT: * Until now I have never used this word, and yet it popped into my head as I was typing that line. As Arte Johnson (in his Laugh In persona as a German foot soldier) used to say: Verrry interrresting.

I could not agree more, grelber! In fact, for TV series, Season 1 of Fargo is the best I have seen. Some of my other favorites are Breaking Bad, The Americans, Fargo Season 2, Better Call Saul, The People V. O. J. Simpson (highest rated series recently, in terms of viewership, and VERY well done!), and House of Cards. Be aware, though, that Better Call Saul is "kind of" a prequel to Breaking Bad. And, of course, Bob Odenkirk figures prominently in Better Call Saul, appears quite a lot in some "latter" seasons of Breaking Bad, and also was the "new" sheriff (after the original one got knocked off in Episode 1) in Fargo Season 1.

BTW, there is going to be a Season 3 of Fargo:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/16/fargo-season-3

From what I recently read, it should come out next year. In fact, here is a quote about that:

"There's no exact date for the Fargo season 3 premiere just yet. We do know that fans will have to wait for Hawley’s “selfie.” He confirmed that Fargo won’t be back until spring 2017, due to the show’s winter setting. Shooting is set to begin in November 2016."

Too bad Lester (Martin Freeman) and Lorne Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton) were "eliminated" near the end of Season 1. I would have liked to see them again.

Last edited by honestone; 04/16/16 04:53 PM.
honestone #39968 04/16/16 04:46 PM
Banned
Banned

One of my favorite topics, movies! Great thread.

Some of my favorites are:

Moneyball (super performances by Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill)

Schindler's List

Murder In The First (does not get the recognition it deserves. Excellent performances by Christian Slater and Kevin Bacon)

Awakenings (another one that does not get the recognition it deserves. Super performances by Robert De Niro and Robin Williams)

Last edited by honestone; 04/16/16 10:34 PM.
honestone #40289 05/06/16 03:09 AM

My Beautiful Broken Brain
mybeautifulbrokenbrain.com/

slolerner #40470 05/14/16 11:09 PM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

The Lady in the Van (2015, 104 min)

Another outstanding performance by Maggie Smith, who 'reprises' her role in the stage play (which ran for 9 months) based on Alex Bennett's memoir of the title's Miss Mary Shepherd, who lived in various vans in his Gloucester driveway for 15 years until her death in 1989.
Truly superb.

grelber #40471 05/15/16 12:10 AM

Did she truly live in "vans", or were they RVs?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40476 05/15/16 08:41 AM
grelber Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Did she truly live in "vans", or were they RVs?

Vans, a series of them, which she always painted (with a brush and/or soft pot scrubber) a saffron yellow — and sometimes the paint job was lumpy due to bits of cake.
The problem for the movie's producers was actually locating such vintage vehicles (many of which are now expensive collector's items) and then essentially trashing them; very expensive for the producers.

There's a blue plaque on Alex Bennett's (former) abode where this all took place and where the movie was shot stating:
"The Lady in the Van lived here 1974-1989".

If you watch the movie on DVD, make sure to check out the bonus features, in particular "The Making of The Lady in the Van" and "Visual Effects" — preferably before watching the movie to gain some quite useful information which will enhance your appreciation of the flick.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard